skidding tongs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy steve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know they are imported,but are the junk.I see Baileys have some 20" for 40.00bucks

I can't speak for the ones from Bailey's, but i have two pair. One is smaller, from my local Made-in-China store for $25. Open to maybe 18 - 20 inches. A larger pair from Tractor Supply with replaceable tips for $70...... open to around 25 inches. I have been 110% happy with both, and have no regrets about buying either.

I can't speak for the ones from Bailey's, but i have two pair. One is smaller, from my local Made-in-China store for $25. Open to maybe 18 - 20 inches. A larger pair from Tractor Supply with replaceable tips for $70...... open to around 25 inches. I have been 110% happy with both, and have no regrets about buying either.

I have had a different experience. I bought a pair of "Cheapos" made in China. Would not grab a piece of wood unless I hammered the point in with a 2# shop hammer. Can't tell you how mad it made me. I work alone most of the time, so ... off the tractor, set the tongs, on the tractor, tongs fell off the log, off the tractor, set the tongs, on the tractor, tongs fell off the log, off the tractor, ... so many times I finally threw those tongs in the pond.

I bought a pair of the 25" lifting tongs from Baileys. Yesssir, they are expensive, $250. But they are magic. They grab almost everything first try, very rarely have to reset them.

I dont know what the difference was between the tongs. They looked pretty much the same. Something in the angle of the points maybe. But it was a huge difference, well worth the price.

Funny I saw this thread tonight. I was just looking at the new Baileys catalog yesterday thinking about buying another pair. I unload 10 to 16 foot logs from an 18 foot trailer with forks on a 3130 Kubota FEL. I'm thinking if I put a set of tongs on each fork it will be easier to balance the load.

Last edited:
I know they are imported,but are the junk.I see Baileys have some 20" for 40.00bucks

I dont see the 20" for $40 in my 2010 catalog. The ones I see are on page 111, from $95 (16") to $250 (25" certified lifting tongs, the ones I have). Where did you see the $40 ones?

they are advertised in the 2010 Catalog specials in the insert flyer back in the Index section pages 146-147. I just bought a pair of the 20" tongs- they are also listed on the website. Figured I couldn't go too far wrong for 40 bucks.

I have a set from Northern that goes to 35". I had the same problem of falling off when the log rolled or flipped and unloaded the tongs. I welded a chain link to each leg, attached a spring to one and a "S" hook to the other. A chain attached to the spring makes for a quick adjustment to the "S" hook. It works like a charm! See my post http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=127290 for a picture.

Cmsmoke- That is a dam good idea you have there.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127216&d=1267312214

I have the same exact ones at home. I sharpened up the points on the ends to try to bit into the wood a bit more. It does work a little bit but they still do slip sometimes. Last time i used them i had them attached to the front loader and picking out 8ft logs from the back of the pickup and trailor. A couple of them did drop- 1 landed on the bed rail on the pickup trailor (pfft.. dont mind) and 2 more dropped missing the pickup. I might have to borrow your idea on that tensioner and adapt.

I have a set from Northern that goes to 35". I had the same problem of falling off when the log rolled or flipped and unloaded the tongs. I welded a chain link to each leg, attached a spring to one and a "S" hook to the other. A chain attached to the spring makes for a quick adjustment to the "S" hook. It works like a charm! See my post http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=127290 for a picture.

Brilliance. :clap:

I will be shamelessly stealing and copying your idea. :cheers:

Help yourselves, there are alot of ideas I steal and improve on. It is amzing how well this works and it took all of about 20 minutes. I did put a longer spring (6") on. The short one pictured was what I had at the time and I overstreched it. With a longer spring you wont need to adjust it as often. Make sure you close the spring eye to the chain link on the tong and to one end of the chain. Close the "S" hook on the opposite chain hook. This arraingment keeps the parts from falling off and getting lost. The chain links are placed at the turn on the tongs about 8" from the tips.
I think alot of us would benifit from a fabrication catagory. I believe someone made a suggestion to start a fab section, but I haven't heard anymore for about a month.:)

Good Idea! Repped. Might have to fish my pair of cheap tongs out of the pond and ...

Nah. Watching the water closing around them was sweet revenge.

I still think the expensive tongs were worth the money though. They latch easily, but then to get them off the log after it is unloaded I can often slack off on the tongs, swing them sideways, and get them off the log without having to dismount from my tractor.

Latest posts

Back