Skidsteer Log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentElk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any have one of these? I am thinking about making one to bust up large wood so it dries better.

The last few years I have moved away from doing tree work. Although I still find myself selling firewood year after year. This last year I had 20 cords at best to sell. So 2 weeks ago I called all the local companies and gave permission to dump wood. No obviously rotton wood but hollow spots ok and to ask permission before they dump more than several loads of pure cottonwood. Now the wood is coming in, but I dont really feel like rolling 4' diameter to the splitter to break them up. A real pain the rear. Heck some will probably be bigger than 4' around. Cottonwood can be a pain to dry when it gets that big. I am sure many people wouldnt mess with cottonwood but I have been getting $160 a cord delievered no problem and considering with delievery I spend less than 4 hrs thats still not bad money. $220 on hardwoods so no question there is money there too. Heck, not to sidetrack this but my buddy got $350 for a cord of apple last November if you can believe that.

I have been thinking about making a splitter that goes on a skidsteer to bust these up. I have 8' of 10"x10" - 5/8" H-Beam laying around. Alot of 1/2 and 3/4" plate steel 12"-18" wide and several feet long. I also picked up some suplus military hydraulic cylinder's that measure 7.5" on the outside so at least 6" bore (close to 50 tons of force @ 3000 psi). I also have all the hydraulic hoses I would need. I know how to make good and pretty welds and have a milling machine at my disposal. Thinking about just making it controlled from the skidsteer to break them small enough to split easy on the regular splitter. Also have skidsteer's on hand. A Bobcat S300 and new S185. They arent always around but usually one of them is.

Now I have almost all the pieces at my disposal BUT is worth the effort? I would like to hear from someone who might have something like this.

splitter

do you have a backhoe in your stable? that is the easiest way to split those big pieces. the skidsteer splitter will work almost as well, just remember the splitter will have to be upside down to what a regular splitter is.

When you say backhoe, are you talking about mounting something like a thumb with a wedge, and using the curl to split it?

I'm in process of building a skidsteer splitter but it will just use the bobcat or A/C or ford tractor for the hydraulics.Mine will be a stationary device with a logloader and conveyor.
Here's probably what your after.
http://www.logmauler.com/

Nope there is no backhoe. How exactly does a backhoe do this? Couple of Massy tractors but no help there.

Watched a video by timber wolf of a large machine that splits big 10 ft pieces! I tell ya, thats the way to go! Was so hyped up I went to my scrap metal guy, he currently is over seeing military scrap contract, to inquire as to more hydraulic cylinders. I gave him an idea of what I was looking for. With some luck he'll come across something useable. I told him I would settle for as short as 6 feet long.

EDIT: DDM, thats exactly what I am looking to make. Thanks for the link!

i have a splitter for my bobcat, it is the 180 deg. kind. just like the log mauler. i love it. great for bustin up the 4 foot chunks. i also use it for feeding brush into the chipper. i think i got mine built and delivered for somthing like 1200.00 bucks.

Latest posts

Back