Skil 1690 and SP125 videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah and imagine how the 1690 would run with square chisel.[/QUOTE]

Yup yup. I have a bunch of Mac 125's and I like them very much, but I have to say that a sprocket/roller bar and square chisel chain on the 1690 would equal an even worse embarrassment of the mighty Mac125.

This'll stir up some controversy for sure: The 1690 cut times were (by my best estimation) 25sec, 22sec, 21sec. The 125's were 30sec and 31sec. And the 1690 had the disadvantage of semi-chisel chain to boot apparently.
:notrolls2:

And, unless i'm mistaken the 1690 has a hardtip bar vs. the mac's sprocket tip. Nice vids Lee. That Skil is a sho-nuff beast.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Your right, The 1690 has a hard tip and
the 125 has a roller nose.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Lee

Bill G. sent me a 36" roller nose bar and loop of new full comp 1/2 square ground chisel for my 090AV. I kept the new bellhousing/paddle wheel 8pin sprocket that originally came on it. It currently is running a 42" sprocket nose and full comp .404 round chisel. I guess we'll see if the whole bigger square ground (vs round) chain and roller vs sprocket really makes a difference in cut times. I think it would make a noticeable difference on Lee's 1690.

Hoss - will you be running that 1/2" on an 8-pin or 7-pin sprocket? Just wondering because my 090 seems like it could handle a lot more than the .404 8-pin that's on it, and a 1/2" 8-pin would probably plain haul azz (in certain woods anyway).

I was up at my friend's place today to pick up a couple parts for my 181SE and Homie XL Auto projects today and I think I spied a 1690 (or the PM equivalent) sitting on his top shelf behind a couple other saws. At least it looks exactly like one, unless there were smaller models that used the same case like the 070/090 situation. He wasn't sure what it was, and I don't know my PM/Skil saws all that well. I told him that if it did turn out to be a 1690, it's one saw that's on my lifetime list to get, so he'd better not even think of selling without talking to me first! It's not nearly as pretty as this one, but paint can be replaced.

That 166 wins the competition here hands-down, I counted about 18 seconds on the third cut. I haven't seen one cutting other than a race saw before, definitely impressed. All 8 idling together sounds like the Hell's Angels idling their Harleys. Not sure which I'd be more intimidated by...:chainsaw:

Hoss - will you be running that 1/2" on an 8-pin or 7-pin sprocket? Just wondering because my 090 seems like it could handle a lot more than the .404 8-pin that's on it, and a 1/2" 8-pin would probably plain haul azz (in certain woods anyway)

It is an 8 pin and yup I expect it to be fast too.

Your friends saw could be a PM275/skil 1680. They look very similar to the 1690, but are a piddly
(UUUHHHHH) 123cc's compared to the 1690's 139. They are very desireable too.

I believe the 1680 has a 2 piece top
cover. One for the cylinder and one for
the airfilter. I have only seen photos so
i could be wrong. My 1690 has a one piece
top cover and a seperate piece that holds
the air filter in place under the top cover.

Either way i would grab it.

Lee

Your friends saw could be a PM275/skil 1680. They look very similar to the 1690, but are a piddly
(UUUHHHHH) 123cc's compared to the 1690's 139. They are very desireable too.

Well I would hardly complain about that! Though a small part of me would be disappointed... That would be a very interesting race to see with a Mac 125.

I believe the 1680 has a 2 piece top
cover. One for the cylinder and one for
the airfilter. I have only seen photos so
i could be wrong. My 1690 has a one piece
top cover and a seperate piece that holds
the air filter in place under the top cover.

Either way i would grab it.

Lee

That is true of later models, but the early 275's had a long single casting over the piston and carb with 275 cast into the carb end. Mine is an early one with this single cover.

Back