Skilsaw 1612

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAAB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just purchased this saw from Ebay. I probably paid too much, but I don't really care.

description said it ran with a shot of gas, but wouldn't stay running. I figure if anything it will be interesting to tinker with.

If anyone is wondering, it was $38. $15+shipping...skilsaw1612.jpg

The Skillsaw 1610 through 1616 is the same saw with different length bars a 34 cc badged saw manufactured by Power Machinery in Vancouver introduced in 1977 the original saws came with 1/4pitch chain a later model I had was 3/8 x050 Lo Pro If you get it running & it smokes al ot with the normal modern mix ratio it will be the bar oil check valve they were a troublesome item you have to remove the fuel/oil tank front cover to check /repair & think that parts NLA if running well they are a cracking little saw

Another point the HT lead length is ridiculously short if pulling the plug cap be careful as being a bit robust can pull the lead out of the coil

I have a Jonsered M361 which is the same saw in red. Solid little saws. Mine had the 1/4" pitch chain but I converted the saw to 3/8 low profile as the chain is much cheaper and IMO holds an edge longer.

Sounds like you need a carb cleaning and maybe a kit. I think the only issues we've ever had were fuel delivery. My dad bought ours new in the (early ?) 80's and we keep it at the hunting cabin.

Thanks for the help guys. Tracking says the saw should be here by Friday.

I'm thinking it's either a gunked up carb, or a faulty fuel line. Either way it should be a fairly simple fix, I hope.

Now that I think back (with the preface that I was preteen and knew zero about engines) that ours needed fuel filter/pickup replaced a couple of times over the years.

The saw showed up a couple of days ago. I pulled it all apart almost immediately. Turned out the fuel line had a crack right where it attached to the carb. I cut it back and reattached it. I also ordered a carb kit just for good measure. It starts and runs, but needs a good cleaning. I spent some time yesterday cleaning parts and sanding down the old paint.

Here are more pictures from the ebay ad.

Thank you.

This is a neat little saw. I'm not sure if it is oiling properly, I'll have to look into it further.

Also, still waiting for the carb kit to show up so I can tear it down and give it a thorough cleaning.

I did take a look at it, the manual assist works. Still not so sure about the automatic oiler though.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean it up, and be able to fill in the missing paint. Or how to repaint it completely with the original graphic.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean it up, and be able to fill in the missing paint. Or how to repaint it completely with the original graphic.

Get some tracing paper and use a pencil to trace over the logo. Then transfer the logo to some thin cardboard. Then take an Exacto Knife and cut out the logo as appropriate.

I've done stuff like that in the past. It worked out very well.

I have one of these in the uk. Never seen anything like it before, but would be just the job around the garden. Got it for free after I mentioned I liked old saws. Whats the secret for pulling the flywheel ? Strangest fuel filter I ever saw.....handy for cleaning the tank though, just take the front off !

Latest posts

Back