Skip Chain Near Pittsburgh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgnarr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m looking Oregon JGX 3/8 .058 93dl. Or similar. That’s just want I’m running now. I like and want go continue running the skip chain.

Can’t find my spares and got some cutting to do in a few days, so ordering is not an option.

Anyone know anyone local that might stock loops and / or be able to build a few in the next couple days?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re not out west I wouldn’t bet on finding skip chain in a local shop. 93 is a 28” bar, what saw are you running it on? If it’s at least in the 440/372 class then full house chain will be just fine. Full skip may be what you like, but you probably won’t find it close to Pittsburgh.

Full house has its advantages too, and they really show in eastern hardwoods.

It’s a ported and modded 372xp. Chain is what I’ve been running and it’s been running great.....didn’t want to change things up if I didn’t have to.

You think I’d be good with a full non-skip chain?

If the saw runs great changing your chain won’t change that. I run full round chain (Stihl RS) on stock 372s/441s/461s in Allegheny hardwoods with 28” bars daily when I work up there.

There are benefits, especially in hardwood, with full chain. It cuts a lot smoother, especially when boring. The saw isn’t taking a huge chip in hardwood like it will in western softwoods, so the more cutters taking a chip the faster it will cut. Softwoods where the rakers get dropped, the saw can take a bigger chip & skip chain is advantageous for chip clearance.

If you order from Performance Outdoor Equipment tomorrow morning, you will prob have your chains on Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back