Sky jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmueller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any of yoose guyz use a sky jack or something similar on a regular basis? Just wondering.

Hey
Had a guy who wanted to trade me for a removal! I thought it might be great for hedges!
It ran on propane and was four wheel drive but had a hydraulic problem and all I need is more scrap iron so I passed on it!
I might rent one one day to do a large hedge and see how it works
Later
John

Hey Nick
Skyjack is a company name like Bobcat!
It is a scissorlift but everbody around here calls them Skyjack wheather they truley are or not!
Later
John

I mean these things that have four wheels and a boom with a bucket or platform on the end. They're not as big as a truck so you could drive them into back yards etc. Like what Stewart was describing (cept one that works).

I rented one once (different brand) . I thought that it was pretty useful and I wouldn't mind owning one-but it is low one my wish list.:)

I've rented those before, often an 85' 4wd type. i wouldnt go so far as to say they go in backyartds well. They are quite heavy, and dont do anything except flat terrain. I beleive the 85' one I rent is in the neihborhood of 50,000# big tires or not thats pretty heavy.

Sounds like a Genie lift. I have used them a few times on removals and for trimming all the trees in a large trailor park. They work pretty well. As far as being manuverable in a back yard these things are spot on. They are articulating 4X4 and are alot easier to get into tight spots than bucket trucks. I took down a HUGE cotton wood in one day using one of these little toys, If I were to have climbed that monster it would have taken me a week. Great tools to use, I love running one of those things, the only thing I wish was that the basket was smaller, Its kinda hard getting a 8ft basket into tight places.,

Kenn

I know what you mean. I'll be using a Genie lift tomorrow to help finish the phone/ethernet installation in our new building.

Try and get one with a JIB boom, it will give you about another 15ft of reach and additional manuverability.

Kenn

It's more of a use-whatever-the-electrician-let's-me-use kind of deal. Whatever it turns out to be, it'll be easier than using the bucket truck.

I hear ya Nick. Here in a few years I wouldnt mind having one of those in my permanent arsenal.

Kenn

Thanks Ken for the useful feedback. Been keeping my eyes open for a used one . They seem like they'd be more useful than a bucket truck for residential work.

Thats what I'm talkin about. Yikes, I did'nt realize they were so high dollar!

Originally posted by OutOnaLimb
I hear ya Nick. Here in a few years I wouldnt mind having one of those in my permanent arsenal.
But this is for indoor use. You could do it with a ladder, but the lift is easier. I can't see the use in outdoor tree care settings. Maybe in interiorscapes.

Latest posts

Back