What’s the oldest saw you run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was curious to know what old saws y’all run on a regular (or somewhat regular) basis? This little Husky 140S I got is just a joy to use, honestly one of my favorite saws. Believe it to be first year production which would be 1973. 40cc saw that runs darn near like a 50cc saw. IMG_0377.jpeg

Well....I have a number of old timers of various brands and I don't own any of the oldest Jonsereds, like XA or XD etc.

But this is the oldeest saw that gets run fairly regularly. A 1968 Jonsereds Racket 601......the direct ancestor of the 621. It has no AV but you really don't notice it that much like you would with like a XL 12/SXLAO or others. It runs strong and smooth....A pleasent saw to run. I am currently bringing a 751 back to life.....similar size frame but 75CC instead of 56CC......should also be fun.

misc pics 024.jpg
misc pics 029.jpg

Not a pro, an 028 that WAS pre chain brake is my oldest saw. I got the update parts, installed the chainbrake and that's my old saw operating limit. If I'm in the woods i want a working chainbrake.
Related;
We don't often see one armed farmers these days.
But the state noticed an increase in farm accidents resulting in serious injury. After investigating they found that food plot farmers were resurrecting old farm equipment for small scale use. The old pre-safety device/shield equipment was back at work maiming operators.

It would be my Stihl 028 but I do have an 075 and an 090, bought them all at the same time 45 years ago. My wife says they are older than 45 years but candidly I don't remember. Is there some logical way to actually date them?

The 90 and 75 are shelf queens but the 28 is still my go to saw so it's first to get fired up if I need to cut something. Lets see. I purchased the 28, the 90 and 75 and a Poulan with a bow bar all at the same time from a saw dealer in North Ridgeville, Ohio, probably not in business anymore. Cannot remember the name of the place but it was on Route 10 anyway. They sold Stihl, Poulan and Jonsered I believe.

Still have the OEM bars on all 3 and they all have greaseable roller noses too. The28 is on it's second bar, I always buy at least 2 bars and 2 loops when purchasing any saw.

Back then I had a Ganim bar mounted tungsten carbide tooth sharpener that is long gone (wish I still had it, probably worth some jack today) but if I really rocked a loop, the place where I purchased the saws at ground them for me and I still remember they always removed way too much cutter so they could sell me a new loop frequently.

Good business model I'd say.

Back then money was actually worth something.

Wish I had the original receipts for them, I don't. Do have all the original owners manuals however and the Stihl carrying case for the 028.

I know you can date firearms by serial numbers, what about saws. I did register them all with Stihl back then.

The 028 is somewhat unusual in that it has a heated handle grip (switch is directly across from the multi function switch on the left side) and I've only used it maybe 3-4 times, ever and it has no chain brake, just a dummy (not attached to anything handle and I rarely use a chain brake anyway, even on the new saws. I know you are supposed to but I don't and won't. In fact, I've pulled the brake bands on both my Echo's, Just not something I care for. Paddles are there but connect to nothing.

I rarely use a chain brake
I don't USE the chainbrake. though I suppose I should, but like it there as a backstop if I slip up. I don't find false triggers to be an issue. But having it trigger occasionally is kind of reassuring that it's working and on the job with me.

Latest posts

Back