So what do you guys think about your first autotune or mtronic saw after you have ran regular carbs for years??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sold the last of my older carb saws, 028, 440, and got a 261C and a 462C. The 462 had only been used to buck up a huge maple trunk in winter and had significant (rotten wood) dust when bought. I cleaned it and after running it for a bit did the "retune". That seemed to improve how it ran and idled. Haven't touched the new 261C and don't plan to unless it has running issues, it powers a 20" bar in hardwood with no problems. So far very happy with both saws, I've been running the 462C with a 20" bar and even bar buried in red elm, had to watch the throttle cuz it hits the rev limiter pretty easy.
I expect it will do "just fine" with a 25 and even a 28" when needed 👍

I have a 241C, 261C and 362C. All run extremely well (and I do know how to tune). They just always seem to be spot on as temp and such change.

I have a 250 (great running 250 with a Chinese carb), a 291 and a 440 and they run well and I use them but if I were to buy a new saw the Mtronic version is what I would want.

I wish Stihl would use the tech on trimmers.

How you like that 400 I haven’t ran one yet
So far so good. It was all I could get during covid when my 462 got stolen. Was a little leery at first it being a new model but it's a good runner. I have used it to do a lot of noodling with the hexa chain on it. I got the 462 back but it doesn't see the run time of the 400.

I really like how my 562xp and my 500i run. However I don’t think the 562s were built to last like them old saw were
They last just the same as the old stuff. Last till you can't get parts for them anymore. My logging buddy get 2 ish years out of a saw as long as I can remember, save the odd ran over with the skidder accidents.

I can see that some folks may need the M-tronic if they do not have much experience with power saws. I'm not saying there good or bad, if you like it, great. But for me and in MY opinion, saw do not need it. The more parts and or complex parts you add to a machine the more likely you are to have problems. (Look what they did to cars). I prefer a simple bullet proof tool. I work the snot out of my tools and I demand that they be built to last with regular maintenance.
I also see the advantage to having to let your saw run for a minute to warm up while it's dialing itself in. I believe in letting a power saw warm up before up before applying full throttle and a working load.

I can see that some folks may need the M-tronic if they do not have much experience with power saws. I'm not saying there good or bad, if you like it, great. But for me and in MY opinion, saw do not need it. The more parts and or complex parts you add to a machine the more likely you are to have problems. (Look what they did to cars). I prefer a simple bullet proof tool. I work the snot out of my tools and I demand that they be built to last with regular maintenance.
I also see the advantage to having to let your saw run for a minute to warm up while it's dialing itself in. I believe in letting a power saw warm up before up before applying full throttle and a working load.
The only additional parts with Mtronic are a few pieces of wire and a solenoid.
Do saws need Mtronic? No they don't. However with emmissions regs being what the area it's a great idea. If I were still using a saw daily I wouldn't run a traditional carb saw as it takes the need to tune daily or multiple times a day away. For most users it also prevents them from burning their saw down and provides for a properly running saw, which they wouldn't have otherwise.

Shades of being a GM tech in 1980. Old news. Just something new to learn. Sure, there were bugs to work out early on. No it is just everyday stuff. They work well. If you know what you are doing when repairing a saw, you don't need it. But the majority should never be supplied the little orange screwdrivers.

Shades of being a GM tech in 1980. Old news. Just something new to learn. Sure, there were bugs to work out early on. No it is just everyday stuff. They work well. If you know what you are doing when repairing a saw, you don't need it. But the majority should never be supplied the little orange screwdrivers.
The little orange screwdriver is to adjust the idle speed, so the chain does not move unless the operator present lever is held and the trigger is pulled. What you type above in the last sentence isn't serious or sensible. I have two Dolmar saws that have double D on the high screw and slot on the low and idle which came with screwdrivers.

not a fan !
Having worked on many chain saw makes and models for many years (40+), I prefer basic saws with out all the new fangled bells and whistles to fail - I recently had the mis-fortune of "completely rebuilding" a Stihl MS201T saw for a friend - the parts were over priced and you needed special "very pricey" diagnostic equipment to ascertain which of the electronic components had failed - I am clearly not a fan !

If you were a GM tech it was swarms of bugs...lol
Stihl tried fix jet carbs on the ms26p as I am sure you know. They ran like absolute crap.

Having worked on many chain saw makes and models for many years (40+), I prefer basic saws with out all the new fangled bells and whistles to fail - I recently had the mis-fortune of "completely rebuilding" a Stihl MS201T saw for a friend - the parts were over priced and you needed special "very pricey" diagnostic equipment to ascertain which of the electronic components had failed - I am clearly not a fan !
There is only one additional electronic component...

Latest posts

Back