So what do you guys think about your first autotune or mtronic saw after you have ran regular carbs for years??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a carb tuning issue...which is why AT and MT are a good thing.
I've tuned the saw and retuned it. I've had it for 30+ years (mostly as a backup). I've had mechanics who work on Stihls do the same. They say it is running good, as good as most old stock 034s run - which does not seem good enough in my books! I think I can get more out of it. I'm sure i can get more out of it. It owes me nothing. It has cut lots of trees - just more slowly than I'd like.

Mtronic is a regular carb with a fuel compensating solenoid. Very simple.
We are not talking rocket science here.

Yes you can replace it easily.

Thanks both. Sorry this mtronic is all new to me, but I'm open to learn. In the instruction manual I have, there is nothing mentioned about troubleshooting or working on the carb, other than a reset. I'll try and find a 261 C M service manual somewhere

Not very often at all.
I've recalibrated 15 times or so in the three years I've had it. And yes there's a need first start for the of day if it's burbling won't rev up to it's clean burn . I shut it off and recalibrate.. also if I haven't run it weekly or longer it will be quite noticable it wants to be recalibrated. Try not to cut may thru September due to wilt epidemic were having here.

I've recalibrated 15 times or so in the three years I've had it. And yes there's a need first start for the of day if it's burbling won't rev up to it's clean burn . I shut it off and recalibrate.. also if I haven't run it weekly or longer it will be quite noticable it wants to be recalibrated. Try not to cut may thru September due to wilt epidemic were having here.
I haven't had any of these issues to be honest. Even when cutting at 3000 feet one day and then 9000 feet the next or having the saw sit for months.
And I am not doubting you. This just hasn't been my expiereance.
I have heard lots of idling causes them to need to be recalibrated more often.

Yo really should not need to calibrate it constantly. I've owned my 400C a few years now and have only recalibrate a few times.
Only tried to recalibrate the old 562xp once or twice from 2012 to 2021 and haven't needed to do it to the 400 yet in two years. I see no real need to do it. It tunes itself.

Only tried to recalibrate the old 562xp once or twice from 2012 to 2021 and haven't needed to do it to the 400 yet in two years. I see no real need to do it. It tunes itself.
It's been awhile but I don't recall ever recalibration my very early 562xp. It always ran bang on.

I haven't had any of these issues to be honest. Even when cutting at 3000 feet one day and then 9000 feet the next or having the saw sit for months.
And I am not doubting you. This just hasn't been my expiereance.
I have heard lots of idling causes them to need to be recalibrated more often.
Interesting never would have I picked you as the kind to follow what the manual says and run 50:1 Stihl oil yeah and the good stuffs Ultra FBI rated and all that jazz lol
So I'm guessing you only get M-tronics awesomeness if ya follows the manufacturers recommendations and run 50:1 Ultras for the wins yes? 🏆👍

Yes I know mtronic and autotune saws have been out a while now. Anyway I just got a new ms261c and have only ran maybe 3-tanks threw her (cutting tulip which if it was dropped off for free I wouldn’t even pick up) so to me it’s a soft wood to cut…

Anyway was just wondering what your guys thoughts/opinions/complaints would be about them after running regular carbs for years (like I have)….i was reluctant but ran across a deal I couldn’t pass so I will finally find out what it’s all about!!!
Enjoy it if you're not Milling.
we all have one or three

It only works on Mtron 3 series not one or two.
Maybe my wording is wrong is it called a "reset" with the older mtrons not recalibrations?
Yeah you know the good old hold a cold saw WOT for 60 seconds don't touch anything and then proceed to bury the bar for 5 cuts WOT or something like that and apparently it tunes itself?
Meh lol

Interesting never would have I picked you as the kind to follow what the manual says and run 50:1 Stihl oil yeah and the good stuffs Ultra FBI rated and all that jazz lol
So I'm guessing you only get M-tronics awesomeness if ya follows the manufacturers recommendations and run 50:1 Ultras for the wins yes? 🏆👍
They don't really seem to care what oil ratio you run. I usually run 40:1 but I've gone down to 32 and 28 to 1 for a few tanks with no adverse effects. Guys port them and don't have issues, I'm not certain why a small % change in oil ratio would mess them up.

Latest posts

Back