So what do you guys think about your first autotune or mtronic saw after you have ran regular carbs for years??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting never would have I picked you as the kind to follow what the manual says and run 50:1 Stihl oil yeah and the good stuffs Ultra FBI rated and all that jazz lol
So I'm guessing you only get M-tronics awesomeness if ya follows the manufacturers recommendations and run 50:1 Ultras for the wins yes? 🏆👍
I don't run ultra or any other stihl oil.

An update, I've left my 550xp sat on a shelf for months and also used it daily and it always starts great, runs great and only calibrated twice. First time was not long after i had it and put a new ring in her, it was noticable the revs did increase and tick over and pickup were spot on. Second time was not long ago, weather was wet and hardly noticed any change, so I think if you use it as it should be used and stop worrying if auto tune is doing its job and let it just carry on doing what its supposed to, it will run fine. It's a great little saw, anyone thinking AT is no good probably dont understand it and how it works. And now my moan at Husqvarna, they really should make accessing the software available to all because that is the only BIG negative about it. I for one will never take a saw to a dealer, I know from past experience they cannot be trusted and after being quoted £50 (uk) for just plugging the carb in to get a print out and that's me taking just the carb to the dealer. It wont take five minutes work and I was asked what did I expect from the printout, all I wanted were the H L figures and hours its run. They turned around and said it wouldnt show that. So clearly that dealer (husqvarna - stihl approved) clearly didnt know his job.
How people trust these places amazes me, so many stories it would make you laugh or cringe. I like to take pride in my work but to some it's just money. Sad but true and not fair to the good honest dealers out there, who also take pride in their work.

An update, I've left my 550xp sat on a shelf for months and also used it daily and it always starts great, runs great and only calibrated twice. First time was not long after i had it and put a new ring in her, it was noticable the revs did increase and tick over and pickup were spot on. Second time was not long ago, weather was wet and hardly noticed any change, so I think if you use it as it should be used and stop worrying if auto tune is doing its job and let it just carry on doing what its supposed to, it will run fine. It's a great little saw, anyone thinking AT is no good probably dont understand it and how it works. And now my moan at Husqvarna, they really should make accessing the software available to all because that is the only BIG negative about it. I for one will never take a saw to a dealer, I know from past experience they cannot be trusted and after being quoted £50 (uk) for just plugging the carb in to get a print out and that's me taking just the carb to the dealer. It wont take five minutes work and I was asked what did I expect from the printout, all I wanted were the H L figures and hours its run. They turned around and said it wouldnt show that. So clearly that dealer (husqvarna - stihl approved) clearly didnt know his job.
How people trust these places amazes me, so many stories it would make you laugh or cringe. I like to take pride in my work but to some it's just money. Sad but true and not fair to the good honest dealers out there, who also take pride in their work.
You can buy the scan tool, right?

You can buy the scan tool, right?
Yes you can buy it and conect your carb to laptop and that's where it ends. Husqvarna sell it but you cant conect to the husqvarna server to read the carb unless you have a dealer number or similar. It's probably very basic but without access we are stuck. What we need is a good hacker that's intrested in saws 😊

I don't know why you would need the software outside of doing an update. It's a carb with a fuel seliniod, few wires and a coil. Most of which can be tested with a multi meter. My understanding of the software just gives very basic diagnostics, hours of use, ability to reset the fuel tables and update the firmware on the coil. Nothing that you would really need to have in such a basic system. You would still need to do the manual calibration/reset after its running anyway.

I bought a 3 year old 261 a few weeks ago. Frustratingly lots of things have broken and needed replacement - brake band, oil pump, aprocket, flippy cap, kill switch, wiring harness. But the autotune has been faultless. It starts in <3 pulls when cold and first pull when warm.

I ran a Jonsered 630 for years and a Jonsered 2165 for 11 years and loved them. Always ran well with not too much tuning or effort. Two years ago I bought a Husqvarna 565 and I love it. The first couple days I was wondering if I made a mistake as it didn't always start as easily as my Jonsereds with regular carbs did. By day 4 or so, it was broken in and had finally tuned itself up to just work all the time. Starts on 3 rd pull after months sitting and 1st pull most other times. Always seems to be spot on without touching anything. Yup, I love the autotune. Have never recalibrated or taken it back to the dealer. It just works and runs always. Probably 50 cord or so cut with it so far.

I bought a 3 year old 261 a few weeks ago. Frustratingly lots of things have broken and needed replacement - brake band, oil pump, aprocket, flippy cap, kill switch, wiring harness. But the autotune has been faultless. It starts in <3 pulls when cold and first pull when warm.
Was it a tree service saw???

I have been using mine a lot (gettin firewood ready for next year and tree guys keepin me well stocked), I don’t have many hours on her yet but I been filing a fairly aggressive chain and I am cutting mulberry, maple, walnut, tulip, white oak and it just screams…totally has me a believer And it’s the first mtronic I have owed….happy with it for sure!!!
I’d love to run the 462 and compare a bigger mtronic saw to the 461 (love my 461)!!!

I don't know why you would need the software outside of doing an update. It's a carb with a fuel seliniod, few wires and a coil. Most of which can be tested with a multi meter. My understanding of the software just gives very basic diagnostics, hours of use, ability to reset the fuel tables and update the firmware on the coil. Nothing that you would really need to have in such a basic system. You would still need to do the manual calibration/reset after its running anyway.
At some point someone will build a scan tool that does diagnostics and can change the fuel curves. Pretty simple tech to do so.
And you are absolutely right. Mtronic is dead simple. Autotune is a little more complicated, but not much.

They don't really seem to care what oil ratio you run. I usually run 40:1 but I've gone down to 32 and 28 to 1 for a few tanks with no adverse effects. Guys port them and don't have issues, I'm not certain why a small % change in oil ratio would mess them up.
Whoxh makes sense given temperature has a much more effect on A/F ratio than oil ratio does.

Was it a tree service saw???

I have been using mine a lot (gettin firewood ready for next year and tree guys keepin me well stocked), I don’t have many hours on her yet but I been filing a fairly aggressive chain and I am cutting mulberry, maple, walnut, tulip, white oak and it just screams…totally has me a believer And it’s the first mtronic I have owed….happy with it for sure!!!
I’d love to run the 462 and compare a bigger mtronic saw to the 461 (love my 461)!!!
Yes probably. Itll be the last time i buy off the seller. I now know he buys broken saws at auction, ‘puts them together’ with the bare minimum of parts without properly testing them in wood.

Yes probably. Itll be the last time i buy off the seller. I now know he buys broken saws at auction, ‘puts them together’ with the bare minimum of parts without properly testing them in wood.
Do you have any other mtronic saws??

Latest posts

Back