So what do you guys think about your first autotune or mtronic saw after you have ran regular carbs for years??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have M-tronic or Auto tune saws that are 10 years old or more? The 3 Autotune saws I bought back in 2013 are the only saws that didn’t live to be with me today. Back in 2017 when I was trying to get them back in service, the Husqy techs seemed to not want to fool with the old saws and made it difficult to get any real service or answers, and just strongly suggested I buy the new versions. 2 of the saws ran great for the better part of 3 years, so that’s my only gripe with the Autotune stuff.

The m-tronic 261c is a impressive when compared to an old 026 or ms260. Almost like a different saw. I'm really impressed with that model. I ran a 462 recently with a 32 inch bar and it didn't blow my skirt up. My old 046 mag was beating it up pretty good on 30 inch oak and eucalyptus. I looked up the specs because it just didn't seem right. Then I noticed it's a smaller saw. It's a 72 cc saw in a lighter platform. Does great with 24 and 28 inch bars but full depth 32" it lags. My 046 is closer to 81 cc and will handle a 36" stick pretty well. So one m troniic I love the other I didn't love so much.
Its 76.5 CC's puts it right in the middle of 72CC's and 81CC's.

Here is the title of the thread

So what do you guys think about your first autotune or mtronic saw after you have ran regular carbs for years??​

What is a regular carb. I would say one that has one round opening with one butterfly and no fresh air only for the top half of the circle. If the saw has two butterfly valves one for air and one for fuel mix does that count as regular?

I did recently get my first autotume model a 540xp mk3. It has the top half air bottom half mix of air and fuel, pockets in the side of the piston seems kind of high compression and seems a kind of large exhaust opening. How do I decide how much is the autotune?

I made a thread about it and the interest seems minimal. It being the saw in general.
I wouldn’t over think it brother!!!!!l

Guess the simple question is, do you like the saw??

The m-tronic 261c is a impressive when compared to an old 026 or ms260. Almost like a different saw. I'm really impressed with that model. I ran a 462 recently with a 32 inch bar and it didn't blow my skirt up. My old 046 mag was beating it up pretty good on 30 inch oak and eucalyptus. I looked up the specs because it just didn't seem right. Then I noticed it's a smaller saw. It's a 72 cc saw in a lighter platform. Does great with 24 and 28 inch bars but full depth 32" it lags. My 046 is closer to 81 cc and will handle a 36" stick pretty well. So one m troniic I love the other I didn't love so much.
That has nothing to do with being mtronic or not.

Anyone have M-tronic or Auto tune saws that are 10 years old or more? The 3 Autotune saws I bought back in 2013 are the only saws that didn’t live to be with me today. Back in 2017 when I was trying to get them back in service, the Husqy techs seemed to not want to fool with the old saws and made it difficult to get any real service or answers, and just strongly suggested I buy the new versions. 2 of the saws ran great for the better part of 3 years, so that’s my only gripe with the Autotune stuff.
Had my 562xp from 2012 to 2021. Only reason I don't still have it was from not being able to get parts and having to finish a job the next day. Guy I sold it to got a carb off ebay (used) and is still running it for his main firewood saw. All it really needed was a new soliniod but in husqy land thats a new carb.

I have 3 saws all stihl - 088, 460 and 261CM, so two with adjustable carbs and one mtronic. I do (try) and tune the two bigs saws, but Im definitely not an expert. All use the same alkalyte fuel. The mtronic 261 starts WAY easier than the others, but I dread the day anything goes wrong with it, because I will be at the mercy of a saw shop and it’ll be an expensive repair or I’ll have to put in an adjustable carb and ignotion unit, or buy a new saw. Having a spare saw ready to go is always a good idea. The 460 can do anything the 261 could.

I have 3 saws all stihl - 088, 460 and 261CM, so two with adjustable carbs and one mtronic. I do (try) and tune the two bigs saws, but Im definitely not an expert. All use the same alkalyte fuel. The mtronic 261 starts WAY easier than the others, but I dread the day anything goes wrong with it, because I will be at the mercy of a saw shop and it’ll be an expensive repair or I’ll have to put in an adjustable carb and ignotion unit, or buy a new saw. Having a spare saw ready to go is always a good idea. The 460 can do anything the 261 could.
If your MTron acts up there is a good chance it's the fuel Solenoid which is easy to replace yourself.

Love my 261CM, but there is a learning curve with shutting off a Mtronic saw too fast, especially on a hot day.. Couldn't get this thing restarted so many times because shutting down too fast. The solution, always let these saws cool down for 30 seconds.
I love my 261 CM too. The dependable one pull warm start is to to die for!

No never have.. Ran a 500i but didn't impress me compared to the 462. To be fair it was brand new and my 462 was broke in.
My first several cuts with the 500i didn't impress me either, but after maybe 2 tank fills it came on strong and seems to be getting stronger. Now my favorite saw for any rounds over 20 inches.

Not sure what you're referring to but the OP asked if we like m tronic saws vs carb. I say yes I do. The performance is quite good.
Your comparison of a mtronic saw not having the power a non mtronic saw has zero to do with the saw being mtrinic or not. Your post insinuated it did.
"Impressed with one mtronic saw but not the other."

Ya at this point I think it will be good…playin in the yard with it now cuttin some hackberry, like butter…

My first several cuts with the 500i didn't impress me either, but after maybe 2 tank fills it came on strong and seems to be getting stronger. Now my favorite saw for any rounds over 20 inches.
My 461 was like that, seemed totally different after maybe 5-10 tanks ran threw it

I really like my 400. It powers right through firewood that is thicker than the bar length. It drops 15-25 inch softwood trees in no time. It runs good every time in whatever weather I am having. I have not yet run it in the heat of the summer. I'm 5-9, weigh 155, and am 68 yrs old. My arms get tired after 1 tank when I use the 400 for limbing, but it will easily cut tight to the trunk and run up and down the sides of a 60'-80' spruce trees just about as fast as I can haul it around the tree - using a standard Stihl chisel-tooth chain with rakers set at .030. I have skip tooth chains sitting in my saw shed, that I haven't even tried on it yet. I haven't seen the need. It is happy doing what it is doing, and at my age, I can't see myself wanting to go any faster - especially with snow and ice on the ground.

If I can't get my old 034 running better, I'll get a 261 as my main saw. I had one before, and it was an awesome saw.
Have you taken apart the 034"s 2 piece air cleaner? the screen clogs up with oil. I sprayed starting fluid from the inside out then blew them out with air, made a big difference. Also like my 261C over my 034.

Well ran another tank or 2 of fuel threw her, seems great so far!!!

I can’t wait to break out the old 026 and run them side by side with same bar and chain set up, just for ***** and giggles….

Back