What’s the oldest saw you run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldest saw I run for real work is an Echo cs670, used for topping and cutting creosote poles. It’s dirty cutting and it gets run weekly. The saw was my dad’s and I think it’s from 2008. It was in production firewood for 3 years when new and has pulled “ranch” duty since. Just in the last 2 years it’s been on creosote duty because I don’t like the mess on my newer saws. That saw is a bit of an experiment. The only thing that shows any real deterioration is the AV.

I have a 1981 Farmsaw also, all original except for cutting equipment, that gets cranked yearly and I run a tank through it cutting firewood just for novelty’s sake.

Had a 1981 Stihl 041 AV Electronic Quickstop for a while, just sold it the other day.

The thing was awesome, former owner cleared over 30 acres with it and it still has decent compression. The saw sat for over 20 years after the flywheel fan blew up, I replaced the fan, had to clean some of the ignition components grounds, and then just to see what happened I put some gas in it and it started up after a few carb adjustments. I didn’t even pull the carb off and the thing ran! Pretty crazy.

View attachment IMG_0745.movIMG_0775.png

My Dad's Super XL Auto he passed to me. Cut many cords of firewood until I got my first Stihl that had AV, 028S. The XL would beat the Stihl in wood > 20". Then I was gifted a 038M............

The XL motor has never been apart and it survived having trees try to squash it. It still will start up and cut.

Had a 1981 Stihl 041 AV Electronic Quickstop for a while, just sold it the other day.

The thing was awesome, former owner cleared over 30 acres with it and it still has decent compression. The saw sat for over 20 years after the flywheel fan blew up, I replaced the fan, had to clean some of the ignition components grounds, and then just to see what happened I put some gas in it and it started up after a few carb adjustments. I didn’t even pull the carb off and the thing ran! Pretty crazy.

View attachment 1132317View attachment 1132315
I have the same saw

My Dad's Super XL Auto he passed to me. Cut many cords of firewood until I got my first Stihl that had AV, 028S. The XL would beat the Stihl in wood > 20". Then I was gifted a 038M............

The XL motor has never been apart and it survived having trees try to squash it. It still will start up and cut.
I picked up a Super XL Automatic a few months ago, needs the usual fuel system stuff but it does run. In pretty decent shape as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.png
    IMG_0315.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0314.png
    IMG_0314.png
    9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back