Slabbing down under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MillinginOz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gidday folks been reading this site with great interest for quite some time and decided to participate in this forum and relate to you folks how BIL (brother in law) and I got in to milling slabs ,after years of repairing chainsaws,mowers,etc BIL and me went to our annual Wood Working show ( Brisbane Australia east coast) we saw an Akaskan chain saw mill at work slabbing a 32'' red river gum 10/12ft long(hard wood when dry this was dry) running a Sthil can't remember what model and it cut that log in no time flat ,just seeing that got our intrest going , beeing bucks down (poor the price for an alaskan here in aus is about 3 times what you pay in the states+saw we just couldn't afford it ) we got chatting to the guys who were running the mill an asked them if we could take some measurements ,these guys were slabbing for sale and exhibition not to sell the mill set up,and they said no worrys go ahead mate ya got to love blokes that'll let you do that. 2days later BIL and I were the proud owners of an alaskan clone at first we only had a 125cc Danarm 24'' bar cross cut chain ground at 20dg and it worked a treat until my back gave out 3days flat on my back the girl I love not happy , tried it again a few weeks later twinged again but stopped at first hint of pain and decided that i was realy going to cripple my self big time if I continued (I have a work related back injury going back years so have to be careful) so Bil and me went to another wood show and saw a rail mill in acton and thought thats got to be easier on the back again talked to the blokes running this set up and again ask if we could check out every thing up close they said yep go ahead A bit longer about 3 months I had bartered and traded my labour to amass enough materials to built a rail mill , both BIL and I are able to weld due to our trades so making the rail was pretty easy the carriage was a bit more trickier but we nutted it out and we have sucessfully ran this mill last week cutting up 1 camphor laural log a soft wood as a test using a 610 Pioneer 24'' bar skip tooth chain ground at 15 dg thanks aggie ,wood shop for the grinding info will have to see how that goes on some of our australian hard woods, that old Pioneer just chewed through that log like nobody's bussiness ya couldn't stop it it slowed down but just grunted through just sweet and our set up worked great straight flat 1 1/4 boards consistantly we will not be using these old saws this was just for our test the only ones big enough that we had I have just bough a basket case Sthil 066 magnum siezed piston/crank 91cc ? and am in the process of bartering parts I do this cause it feels like no money changes hand and that suits me right down to the ground any way thats about it from me I do have some photos of our set ups and log pile but they were only taken on a digital camera 640x420 pixels very grainy when blown up so if I am able I'll try to down load them and remember keep ya chain in sawdust MillinginOz

MillinginOz,Gidday :D and welcome to AS. Like your post, and I will be waiting
to see the pictures.

Welcome millinginoz.... after reading your post I can tell you that you and I would get along REAL fine if you were a neighbor and not half way around the world. You seem like my kinda people.

I too can't wait to see your pics, your setup. Let us know if we can help with anything.

Thanks guys I appreacheate the words ,I just registered today so might not be able to post photos for a couple of days.hold up just tried to down load files and was sucessful so see what you blokes think, the first 3 are of our rail mill and wood pile all camphour laral about 5 tons of it, its a pest species brought in from England in the colonial days 1800s for shade and a reminder of home and now its choking our creek banks and water flows in northern New South Wales and southern Queensland around the coast, taking over from our native spieces so this is going to be one of BIL and my target trees as it has a beatyful grain when cut and grives out a rich camphour smell when cutting our furniture makers love this for that reason alone .also would love to get our saws in to an other spieces silky oak or grivellia robusta an other beautyfully grained timber with a light pale colour thats all most creamy with a tight compacted grain again furniture makers love this the last pic is of our alaskan clone it may look rough but it worked a treat pity I didn't any way see what you think MillinginOz

As long as it works, thats what mater's.

Is that your bar oil tank on top? It looks like a old air tank or very small
water pressure tank, 5 gallon or about 19 liters?

No Trigger thats a small fuel tank of a victa lawn mower that we have here in Oz holds about a 500/600 mls of oil about a pint its real close up I,m not a good photo taker

Gidday folks found some pics of the boards that BIL and I cut the other day that 3rd pic my girl recons it looks like a tulip in the grain

Last edited:
No Trigger thats a small fuel tank of a victa lawn mower that we have here in Oz holds about a 500/600 mls of oil about a pint

Man I was way way off on that.
But it did get me to thinking about a small tank
that could be pressurized a little.

Oh, and thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
Sorry Trigger if you are refering to the red thing in the back ground in pic 1 thats an esky for keeping beer cool i'm not tring to be smart just had another look at my pics and see what you mean I thought you where refering to my aux oil tank on our clone ,as for preasurizing your aux tank I cant see why you couldn't do it most of the fuel tank caps are plastic so get a tube less car tyre valve stem ,drill out your cap to suit and pull through from the under side should hold about 1/2 psi from a push bike pump but why do you need to preasurise ? force flow what temp is it where you are its 84 in the shade here at 4pm Brisbane time where about on level where Florida is down here MillinginOz

Welcome! Great pics and I love the ingenuity. Keep up the good work guys. Only 18 degrees F here, but I am ready for a little cool weather. Easier to run the mill in cool weather anyway.

Welcome MIO,

I'll just recommend to all the old farts(young ones too) on here milling "stretching and yoga". So you can keep on milling. I speak from experience, hurniated disks 2006.

In case you didn't know, you dont have to hum when doing yoga. :) The instructor asked me to stop, I was just goofing off but apparently she didn't think it was funny. Gotta go, cedar is waiting for the 385xp to rip into it.

MillinginOz said:
Sorry Trigger if you are refering to the red thing in the back ground in pic 1 thats an esky for keeping beer cool i'm not tring to be smart just had another look at my pics and see what you mean I thought you where refering to my aux oil tank on our clone ,as for preasurizing your aux tank I cant see why you couldn't do it most of the fuel tank caps are plastic so get a tube less car tyre valve stem ,drill out your cap to suit and pull through from the under side should hold about 1/2 psi from a push bike pump but why do you need to preasurise ? force flow what temp is it where you are its 84 in the shade here at 4pm Brisbane time where about on level where Florida is down here MillinginOz

MillinginOz, I was talking about the blue one, I guess I had the big eye
on it. :rolleyes: And I was thinking out loud about pressurizing the oil
tank for the colder weather(@ 8:20am its 18.7 deg F or -7.4 C) I have allot more dumb ideas than good ones :dizzy:

hi, good to see another ozzie on the site. your setup looks good and it's great to see you did it yourself. i did mine from all sorts of different materials too and i got a lot of satisfaction from doing the work on it. check out my first post for pics. i'm in nsw and i missed the wood working show this year, bummer. what you got in mind for your wood? look forward to more pics

Gidday OzDog and welcome to AS I must congratulate you on your rig a great set up , one thing I have encountered when cutting is saw dust getting on the rail and under the bearings and jamming the forward motion of the chassis I over came this by screwing a 3'' paint brush to the front of the chassis to sweep the rail clean and it works a treat , as for the slabs I've ear marked some for counter tops to finnish of our kitchen and a couple of coffee table tops the rest ?? any way Season Greetings to you Oz Dog hope you had a great day and to all of you at A.S. MERRY CHRIST MASS from MillinginOz

Back