Sledge hammer size / wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My gosh, like everything these days, there are lots of choices for every product. What size sledge hammer do you guys find useful for firewood, if you use one. Some people like a wedge and sledge?

Do any of you find any certain wedge useful for splitting? I have seen those wedges that have four wing type things on them. One was 'tornado' brand or something. Wonder if it works any better.

My brother said he buys hammers and non-technical stuff from Harbor Freight, I was just considering it, because they are cheap. Then again, he likes to buy stuff often, lol. My luck is, my aim is not stellar... I'll probably break a wood handle sledge. It wouldn't surprise me at all. My Fiskars x27 seems pretty indestructable.

But I could also use a sledge for other things.

I wouldn't use anything less than 8 lbs to drive splitting wedges. I have one of those cross shaped wedges and they suck. They are prone to kicking back out of the round. They could hurt a man if your not careful. I suggest sticking with the traditional wedges and would buy hammer and wedge from harbor freight. Often times I've wishes I had a 10 lb sledge.

My gosh, like everything these days, there are lots of choices for every product. What size sledge hammer do you guys find useful for firewood, if you use one. Some people like a wedge and sledge?

Do any of you find any certain wedge useful for splitting? I have seen those wedges that have four wing type things on them. One was 'tornado' brand or something. Wonder if it works any better.

My brother said he buys hammers and non-technical stuff from Harbor Freight, I was just considering it, because they are cheap. Then again, he likes to buy stuff often, lol. My luck is, my aim is not stellar... I'll probably break a wood handle sledge. It wouldn't surprise me at all. My Fiskars x27 seems pretty indestructable.

Mine is a 10lb which is a bit on the heavy side.. Handles? I like wood but you have to plan to replace them about every two years or so. I finally wnt to a plastic handle. I don't see much difference between plastic and wood.

The "wood grenade": Never used one but just looking at it appears to be a solution to a problem that hasn't appeared yet, i.e., basicly useless. I've been using wedges sinice I was a kid and can't see how they improve on the simple type.

Harry K

I mostly use a 10 lb but break out the 20lb when I want a good workout. I've tried one of those wedges but I think they blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not received my fiskars new "isocore" maul yet, but, they have in their new lineup of tools sledges. supposedly greatly reduces shock due to some new handle design, and typical fiskars lifetime warranty. So I can't say if they are any good or not, but I will say I am a huge fiskars fanboy. For instance I got their super shovel a couple years ago and yep, best shovel I ever used. I have their original small supersplitter and it is the bees knees, I think because of the head shape and light weight. Always used their scissors and knives, etc. Also just got their pole saw this winter, works wonderful.

It's been proven the "standard" wedges work better than "wood grenades" or other catchy products.

I have picked up, and cleaned up, several steel splitting wedges from garage sales, etc. So I have 3lb, 4lb, and 5lb wedges.

The different sizes are helpful, depending on what you are splitting. I guess that I would go the 5lb wedges if I had to choose one size.

Make sure that you have at least 2, and preferably 3 wedges - they can get stuck!

Same thing with sledges. Maybe you want a 6lb and a 12lb sledge, depending on the size of rounds you are splitting. It's nice to use the lighter stuff when you can.

Philbert

Not all splitting wedges are equal though they look very similar - some tap right in and others bounce out. IIRC I have gotten both kinds from Lowes over the years. I don't use them much any more so I can't remember which ones are which otherwise I would post a picture showing the slight but crucial difference in taper. I'll leave it at if yours are bouncing instead of digging go buy a new one with a different taper. Of course you can always get one started in a saw kerf or an axe dent. Ron

I have not received my fiskars new "isocore" maul yet, but, they have in their new lineup of tools sledges. supposedly greatly reduces shock due to some new handle design, and typical fiskars lifetime warranty. So I can't say if they are any good or not, but I will say I am a huge fiskars fanboy. For instance I got their super shovel a couple years ago and yep, best shovel I ever used. I have their original small supersplitter and it is the bees knees, I think because of the head shape and light weight. Always used their scissors and knives, etc. Also just got their pole saw this winter, works wonderful.
Please update us when you get a chance. I'm interested in the Fiskars splitting mauls but haven't been able to justify buying a maul since buying the X27... Who did you purchase your maul from?

Please update us when you get a chance. I'm interested in the Fiskars splitting mauls but haven't been able to justify buying a maul since buying the X27... Who did you purchase your maul from?

Ordered it through my local true value hardware store. Supposedly will be coming in this upcoming week, but who knows with distributor back orders.

I have picked up, and cleaned up, several steel splitting wedges from garage sales, etc. So I have 3lb, 4lb, and 5lb wedges.

Philbert

I did the same, almost always had to grind off humoungouse mushrooms. If all the wedges wedges I have lost over the years sprouted, their would be a forest. I'm down to two now, both bought new. Haven't found one in a second hand store in years.

Harry K

My father had dozens of wedges that he used - all with huge mushrooms and many one-half or less than their original lengths. I am not sure what he used them for as we didn't burn much wood, maybe logging as he logged in the pre-plastic wedge days when I was a little boy and I only remember two or three that might have had the shape of a proper iron falling wedge. He had no power tools, other than a drill, circular saw, a Wright saw and a MAC gear drive. Anyway later in life he acquired a large B & D angle grinder. One summer he put my brother and I to splitting locust posts. I thought the wedges were dangerous so I spend most of a day while he was in town restoring the heads. I was so proud of my work and couldn't wait to show him. I still remember his speechless reaction - not good. It wasn't that I had done a poor job. I actually had done a good job. He never said anything but I later came to the realization that his wedges were reminders of his hard work for us and I had unwittingly erased them.

Ron

My father had dozens of wedges that he used - all with huge mushrooms and many one-half or less than their original lengths. I am not sure what he used them for as we didn't burn much wood, maybe logging as he logged in the pre-plastic wedge days when I was a little boy and I only remember two or three that might have had the shape of a proper iron falling wedge. He had no power tools, other than a drill, circular saw, a Wright saw and a MAC gear drive. Anyway later in life he acquired a large B & D angle grinder. One summer he put my brother and I to splitting locust posts. I thought the wedges were dangerous so I spend most of a day while he was in town restoring the heads. I was so proud of my work and couldn't wait to show him. I still remember his speechless reaction - not good. It wasn't that I had done a poor job. I actually had done a good job. He never said anything but I later came to the realization that his wedges were reminders of his hard work for us and I had unwittingly erased them.

Ron
:surprised3:
Nice story, thanks for sharing.

You can re-shape the points pretty easily with a bench grinder.

When I get the used ones, I usually wire brush off any rust; cut or grind off any 'mushrooming', and re-shape the cap; shape the point; and give them a quick coat of spray paint, to prevent rust in storage.

Philbert

View attachment 475341
Those are perfect wedges in my opinion.

Back