Sledge Hammer & Wedges???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just used some wedges and a 16 lb. sledge yesterday to make some Black Locust pieces more manageable. My favorite part is when they get stuck in ornery pieces of wood and you have to cut 'em out, hoping that your chain doesn't hit 'em and dull lol...but usually they work like a charm-good honest exercise. Makes pieces into pieces that you can carry without busting a nut or herniating a disc...usually! :greenchainsaw:

I split with maul small sledge and wedge. I have lost 10 lbs in the last 3-4 weeks.Ihave no log splitter Two people have offered me the use of their splitter. I thank them but I want to do it by hand.

Last edited:
I do all of my splitting by hand. Most of the time with just the splitting maul but some of the larger ones get the wedge. Usually by the time I use a wedge I need two wedges to get them split. I love that kind of work. Makes you feel young again. Until the next day that is:dizzy:

I rarely get enough wood at any one time to justify the expense of a splitter.

I've got the 6lb Ames splitting axe/maul, an 8lb sledge & three wedges (sometimes two just aren't enough)

And like CT Greenman said, it's great exercise. I'm losing weight and getting my 'six pack' back.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is the best way to get rid of the mushroom head on a wedge? Would using a torch change the steel enough that it could become brittle? My small grinder would take fore ever to grind any thing off of my wedge.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is the best way to get rid of the mushroom head on a wedge? Would using a torch change the steel enough that it could become brittle? My small grinder would take fore ever to grind any thing off of my wedge.
Ain't as bad as this one is it. I always grinded them, even though it don't show.lol, A torch may make it brittle, dunno.

attachment.php

I will let go of my 8# sledge and wedges when you pry them from my arthritic hands :)

I prefer the maul or splitting axe, but getting a large round broken first is often easier with the wedge/sledge pair. My Dad's splitter is sitting next to my wood pile but I still really like using the hand tools - I need the exercise and with red oak and some softwoods the hand tools are simply faster!

I used to grind the 'shrooms off my wedges but I am going to try the oxy-acetylene torch this time and I'll let you guys know whether the wedge explodes afterward.

I don't try to halve large or gnarly rounds I chunk off the edges and its waaaayyy easier. Most of the time I can use the 8# maul only and split the whole thing. The one by the boat in the pic is 4ft across dynamite would be cool.

Being a bit smartass here but it is true. Best way is to not let them get bad to begin with. I regrind mine usually once a year at the end of the season. I did buy a couple wedges from a pawn shop that looked like the one in the picture down thread. I even ground those off off - tackle a job like that with the edge of the disc at the base of the mushroom if you can get it in there - more a cut-off operation than grinding. I only use a small 4" grinder and the job did use up one disc. Just another one of my 'sit under atree in the shade with a brew while working' jobs. I use a small homemade bench and a c-clamp to hold the wedge while I work on it. Out there in the grass I don't need to worry about where the sparklies are going.

I did do one using a hacksaw to cut off those huge curls but that was a bit too masochistic for my blood.

Harry K

Harry K, my wedge isn't nearly as bad as the one pictured, it's just that all I have is a small bench grinder. I do have access to a torch at work, and was worried about changing the properties of the metal by heating it. I may have to see if I can square it up a little with a hacksaw first.
Thanks Carl

Lol,yes sr.

Many moons ago I use to split wood with an axe and if that wouldn't get it done, then out with the steel wedges and a sledge hammer. NO PIECE OF WOULD COULD WITHSTAND THE ASSULT OF THE WEDGES AND SLEDGE HAMMER!!!!!!!

In fact, we use to cut locust posts and if the log was big enough, we'd take our wedges and split it onto multiple posts and use the butt of the axe to knock the bark off!

The good ole days - I think ;)

Fast forward to the 3rd quarter of my life and I got a pile of wood. Ain't got no fancy log splitter (yet), but I've got a nice maul.

Tonight after it cooled down, I started splitting some rounds and found myself with some HARD to split, very stringy oak (maybe white oak). After beating several rounds with the maul until I was soaked from sweat and ready to grab my heart, I decided to go the nuclear route and I fished-out my old sledge hammer and wedges.

I forgot how easy the sledge hammer and wedges were to use and made quick work of these troublesome pieces of wood - YIPPIE!!!!!!!

Anyone else have/use a sledge hammer and wedges to split some wood?

Bill

When I was like 9,10,or 11, my best friend and his dad introduced me to the maul and hammer. I miss them days and wish I knew where that old wedge was at when i need it"

I even ground those off off - tackle a job like that with the edge of the disc at the base of the mushroom if you can get it in there - more a cut-off operation than grinding. I only use a small 4" grinder and the job did use up one disc.

Yep. Make sure you don't try to use a masonry disk. Don't ask me how I know that. :monkey:

:D

I did do one using a hacksaw to cut off those huge curls but that was a bit too masochistic for my blood.

I tried that once. For about 5 minutes! That was enough of that nonsense! :D

I'll try the torch next time I have one that bad. It should soften it, not make it brittle. Unless it's quenched, at least.

Harry K, my wedge isn't nearly as bad as the one pictured, it's just that all I have is a small bench grinder. I do have access to a torch at work, and was worried about changing the properties of the metal by heating it. I may have to see if I can square it up a little with a hacksaw first.
Thanks Carl

A small bench grinder is all I had too until a few years ago. I bit the bullet and gought a 4" disc grinder, el cheapo, (?HF or on sale, I forget). Wish I had done so years ago. ONe of the best twenty bucks I ever spent (may have been a bit more but not by much).

Harry K

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnkey4099

Quote posted by Blue Ridge Mark
I tried that once. For about 5 minutes! That was enough of that nonsense!

Heh! IIRC I gave up after sawing one side.

Harry K

Back