Sledrat's Greasey Lil Chainsaw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ratty! come back we have'nt seen ya in ages. l piss mi self when l seen sled rattyz 'go to' saw. We miss ya ratty come back! Has big momma given you the boot 4 lovin ya ratsaws more than her?

Ya would hate to ask folks to do welding for free.
Do i think maybe it would be easier just to find another whole parts saw for a manifold.?

As for the lil woman being mad about my saws
ya shes gets a lil hot under the collar once and while but overall shes good with it
after i spend a day or two in the dog house lol..
;);) gives me a lil time to slip out into the shed and tinker more

Anyways heres the lil 25EV up and running..

Ya would hate to ask folks to do welding for free.
Do i think maybe it would be easier just to find another whole parts saw for a manifold.?

As for the lil woman being mad about my saws
ya shes gets a lil hot under the collar once and while but overall shes good with it
after i spend a day or two in the dog house lol..
;);) gives me a lil time to slip out into the shed and tinker more

Anyways heres the lil 25EV up and running..

I offered up mag welding in the xmas thread. no takers. if ya wanna ship it out... to bc...

Thanks for your offer rocket thanks bud thats real nice of you it is appreciated but i think i might just try and find the part or a maybe a whole other parts saw,
I really like those old Macs it would be nice to find one around my area really like the thrill of the hunt :) ,,
But if i cant find one Rocket i will take you up on that offer..
And stormy as for taste in saws well... lol i take whatever saw comes my way running or not! lol it doesnt matter to me
if it has the potential to run or runs well as long as it has a motor and smokes abit its for me..
I got my eye on a nice old rotor tiller style farm tractor with weighted tires ya i know its nice to dream
and that Machine is a whole other story ...

Heres the JOHN DEERE 35EV Up and running,,,

Still have to adjust the carb to try and take the bog out of it ..

BEST POINTS FILE I HAVE TRYED YET!

Heres a Super good file for filing sets of points
i have tryed other files but this one i dont know why is the best i have used so far!
heres a vid of it

What type of file do you like to use for points?

Later folkz

l'd love to take a case of nice beer to sledrats tinkershed & learn some of his secrets. He is certainly not a 'got all the new parts on order' kinda guy. Good to see you back Rat & doin watcha luv! Any tips for removing a clutch that won't budge? l put some starter cord down sparkplug hole and put my scrench over the clutch spider nut & hit it several times with a hammer and she still won't free up. l don't know what to do damm it! l hit the scrench pretty hard and there are arrows pointing clockwise with 'off' stamped into the clutch. Saw in question is a 2011 stihl ms261 with fairly low hours. l am thinking maybe some heat. l dont have a heat gun but got a pencil blowtorch. l don't wanna know what the stihl dealer would do cause he'd send me broke. l want a rat solution. Maybe l need some of your special ratlube or somthin. l know your unfamiliar with anything made this century but l reckon the sledrat would have it off in a jiff! lol HELP! SLEDRAT HELP!

Yeah thanks Rocket, thats my next plan in the morning but l've only got a cordless. l was just getting a bit worried after hitting the scrench fairly hard and it just would not budge & thought any harder and i'd do damage. l'm not well rehersed in replacing crank seals ect. l just want to change out the clutch.lol They sure can get tight! The chain has started moving at correct idle setting (not a huge problem) and although l can still use the saw as its not that bad, it needs changing and l'd rather do it sooner than later.

Ya ya right on thanks man for the kind words some parts if needed
you can buy them available over the counter hell why not ??
if you got the CASH to spend sure why not more power to you!
all shiney and new parts works just fine too :)
I try not to buy only what i need to make a old machine work again,,,
To save it from the CRUNCHER
its challenging but you know very rewarding when done ..
Only certain designed well built machines will run and run and run seems like forever..
Like for instant my old toyota 4x4 cant kill it
I never do any work on it just keeps going **it does not owe me a dime i treat the poor thing poorly
I dont change the oil in it ever lol i just add oil and even old oil lol lmao
But you know for me to have it sitting in my driveway Now say say if i was doctor or a millionare something like that now that would be hilarous and something i would do if i was..
lol Imagine all the faces of the BMW/porche Driving snobs having to put up with a rust bucket planted
in the middle of a oh so perfect neighbourhood not saying all weathly folk are bad dont get me wrong here...
the ones im talking about are the im to good for every one else
and the ones that have some much money they cant
help a fellow fellow man in need..
Or when it comes to throwing a high end party show up with say display of Junkyard chainsaws finds that i have made run again and call it A WORKING ART display???
And act really ARTSY FARTSY ABOuT IT Lol lmao imagine that??? ,,

As for your problem with your flywheel i would look into typing the model and serial number
first into your computer search it ..
then adding the problem you have which is getting a stihl flywheel or chainsaw flywheel removal ect...

And yes a impact would be perfect for that....how many holes on the flywheel does it have??
Can you put a puller on it first?> um perhaps you may have a sheared key that is preventing the flywheel from coming off? many different problems or solutions you will figgure it out just takes time..
remember everything can be fixed if you break it and it doent mean you not any good you are just learning..But to do the same error more than twice in a row i would stop then lol

Heres a video where instead of me cutting a piece of heavy wall pipe to make a puller sleeve and trying to hand drill a hole through it
to remove the back side clutch plate for a old snowmobile engine i was working on
i use simply used a piece off my old toyota truck lol for this problem,,
because the piece i needed matches what i needed at the time and works really well lol...

Anyways again thanks for the kind words..

***Oh becareware adding flamed heat to the crank and flywheel cause the
electrical components i would suspect are under the flywheel on that saw
I would hate to burn up a good saw over not knowing
how to properly remove a fly wheel on a stihl
or better yet just take it to a chainsaw shop and get them to pop it off
for you for 5 bucks ,,,But make sure to watch them to learn how they did if your interested..
Lots of good folkz here will help you just ask,...

heres that video..

First chainsaw video I've ever seen with Tchaikovsky(?) crescendoing to the finish. Yer a sly one, Sled. I'm a fan. Keep doin what yer doing (as if you wouldn't!). Thanks.

Yeah thanks Rocket, thats my next plan in the morning but l've only got a cordless. l was just getting a bit worried after hitting the scrench fairly hard and it just would not budge & thought any harder and i'd do damage. l'm not well rehersed in replacing crank seals ect. l just want to change out the clutch.lol They sure can get tight! The chain has started moving at correct idle setting (not a huge problem) and although l can still use the saw as its not that bad, it needs changing and l'd rather do it sooner than later.
most clutches in my experience come off w/very little air in impact... try yer electric @ lowest setting & go up from there. make sure the starter is not engaging when turning reverse thread. I just take 'em off & hold flywheel...

l did some reading/searching and what your saying is my plan. l was kinda suprised that this would be a better option than a piston stop but l suppose the impact will do most of the work & i'll just support things holding the flywheel. l did not enjoy beating it with a hammer & was worried soon the slightly worn clutch springs would be the least of my concern. Very good advice my friend thanks. lts good to see the Sledrat has come out from hibination!lol

Oh one other thing i tried to click on the like thumbs up on another post i was reading and i cant find it lol
how do i do this now./?

oh dam man ya the clutch is the reverse thread so hitting forward or clock wise
will take it off sorry thought you ment a stuck flywheel..lmao
Very sorry about that..

Rope the jug and angle a block of wood or a soft mallet and pound the clutch forward or clock wise
..not reverse/...older saws dont even have a nut so you have to spin the whole clutch inside foward..
But itr seems a stihl uses a nut which is really nice you can use a socket clock wise...

Oh ya as for pulling a flywheel using a impact and a puller that works perfect
if you set it right on a puller that way you dont have to tap the top of the puller with a hammer..
as for removing a clutch witha impact i would like to see can some one post that? please,,
But i could see folks really tightening up a clutch that way if not knowing
the threads are a reverse type threads! Yikes,..Not good..

Latest posts

Back