Sledrat's Greasey Lil Chainsaw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now understand your having a hard time holding the flywheel enough to get the clutch off.?
The rope in the cylinder will hold it just finer if you want you can buy a piston stop tool..
but ya a impact will rap that clutch off quick with out having to hold the flywheel with out much pressure maybe just with a gloved hand lol,,..
i would just try the rope in the cylinder and socket clock wise..simple...

Oh heres a vid i just made i know i know its A LIL FISHy and all
lol BUT THIS IS HOW WE DO IT IN CANADA

JUMBO PERCH HARDWATER STYLE!!! ENJOY lol hA!!!

And one other thing Does or did Tecumseh make a chainsaw?
Would like to know fer my saw collection... tecumseh chainsaw
Cause i was gonna say JIFFY makes ICe augers But they are Tecumseh motors so i
was wondeirng about saws out on the ice that day

thanks sled.

l'd love to take a case of nice beer to sledrats tinkershed & learn some of his secrets. He is certainly not a 'got all the new parts on order' kinda guy. Good to see you back Rat & doin watcha luv! Any tips for removing a clutch that won't budge? l put some starter cord down sparkplug hole and put my scrench over the clutch spider nut & hit it several times with a hammer and she still won't free up. l don't know what to do damm it! l hit the scrench pretty hard and there are arrows pointing clockwise with 'off' stamped into the clutch. Saw in question is a 2011 stihl ms261 with fairly low hours. l am thinking maybe some heat. l dont have a heat gun but got a pencil blowtorch. l don't wanna know what the stihl dealer would do cause he'd send me broke. l want a rat solution. Maybe l need some of your special ratlube or somthin. l know your unfamiliar with anything made this century but l reckon the sledrat would have it off in a jiff! lol HELP! SLEDRAT HELP!

I suggest you replace the springs first.

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. l gave it a crack again this morn before reading whats above since my last post. So l charged up the cordless impact overnight and fit an adapter that will allow me to use my half inch socket set. Removed pull start cover so l could hold flywheel cooling fan. Put on my thickest leather glove and tried the impact on lowest to highest setting. Guess what!......nothin not a budge. So back in with some starter rope(piston stop) with a couple of knots to make it thicker cause it was squashing it previously & under frustration fit the scrench over there clutch spider nut and gave it hell. BASH, SMASH, CRASH & PING!....the ping was the scrench flying off cause l was hitting it so hard. More frustrated now l filled the pencil torch and heated the nut up for a minute and started hitting the scrench again...BASH! BASH! BASH!.Guess what?......nothing so even more frustrated & a little pee'd off l thought l WILL wreck something here soon if l don't relax and change my tact. So l looked at the saw closely and came up with another dodgy plan. l noticed a smaller nut on crank opposite to clutchside holding on the flywheel/cooling fan. l fit a socket on it with a socket extension fitted to the socket. My plan now is to hold the cooling fan nut with the socket extension in the vise & put a socket over the clutch nut & put a piece of long metal pipe over the socket wrench to give me more leverage. l have it all set up but have not done it yet & are a little concerned l am going to strip the thread on flywheel but or do it up to tight when l use the pipe on the clutch. This is difficult to explain in words but I've done my best. What do you guys reckon?

By the way nice homemade tools Rocketnorton! Funny thing is l don't need a 'special tool' as the but is the same size as the sparkplug so the scrench or socket gives good grip. Grip ain't my problem, putting enough torque on the but is. With what I'm about to try IF l do get the clutch undone the cooling fan will be on pretty tight and l will probably never get that off! Lol

BTW there was a stupid thread the other day titled 'who is your favorite AS member'....You should read it Ratty....its not that informative or interesting but the Rat gets a mention nearly every page! LOL. I put ya down! Sometimes things get too serious and people turn into stiffs & egos take over threads. Not here in ratty'z greasy Lil thread! LOL!

I suggest you replace the springs first.

Thanks Murphy but the clips hold the shoes in place & the clutch as far as l can see needs to be removed first. I thought of that but came to realize it can't be done. Could be wrong and wish l am lol but the shoes are fairly worn and l'd like to replace the whole clutch and keep the old one as spare.

thanks sled.

Loves me some perch! They mostly died out in the lake down the road from me years back, but they're coming back lately and starting to get some size to em. Things are looking up!

Tecumseh didn't make saws that I know of, but the Tecumseh/Power Products motors were in a bunch of older saws, David Bradley and Mono come to mind off the top of my head, but there were lots more. AH47 was 77cc, the AH81 was an 8 cube/130 cc "big dog" back in the day. The AH81 powered saws still have a following around here.

Have a look around at some of the old companies on Acres' site (http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView ) and you'll find a lot of smaller companies that used those powerheads.

Hooooray lord jesus! l got that clutch off without any damage! Long bit of metal pipe attatched to scrench with piston stop and she's OFF! Kinda rewarding actually. I might even save some $$ and just replace the springs l think. Cheers gents for the help which was useful and much appreciated! Sorry to Sledrat for jacking your thread!

RATSAW SPRING UPDATE!!

"GOOD GOD NOT OH NO ANOTHER GREASEY OLD CHAINSAW SCORE"
thats what my lil woman just said!

HA!

ALL I CAN SAY iS yeHAWW FOLKZ!
look at these beauties i just picked up !!
i reaLLY have taken a shining to a few of them really like that lil poulan!!!

SAW On BROTHERS SAW ON!

I CANT WAIT TO GET tinkering on THESE lil beauties!!!

heres a lil vid i made up..

Enjoy

thanks sled.

Not sure about chainsaw but Dads old ICE AUGER was Tecumseh as well as my small garden cultivator.

After years of using a ReBar handle chisel Dad sprung for the auger. He was frugal as the day is long and this was a big frill but for something the whole family took part in. He got to use it one season before he passed young at 45 yrs from a massive heart attack. I've only been on the ice a few times since. It was never the same. Mom still has the oak(?) woven pack and gear at the homestead in Maine...... sorry for the "squirrel"

Howdy anlrolfe

Ya i have had a few Jiggy ice auger in my day so far,.,,Jiffy are Dang good augers!
infact i still got one which i use from when i was real young. And it still runs and runs well thousands of holes drilled with that old jiffy!
i think why its still alive is i ALWAYS MIXED MY GAS HEAVY 24:1 every time never changed the oil and gas mix EVER!!!! ,,,
.Its a good old MEtal housed model 30 it has the tecumseh engine in it the bigger old 3 hp i think

Hey can any of you remember if the one you had is the one with the single metal pole handle on it ??
I always wanted one of those old Jiffy one hander handled ones!
i know the old ice men around here called em leg breakers/ jaw breakers..
cause when they got into the deep ice and it grabbed or when the auger got stuck or if you accidiently let go of that one handle WATCH OuT!!
THat old Jiffy would crack you in the shins real good
many good old ice men went to their knees or even broke a leg or even a jaw by getting whacked by it..happen when the throttle stuck open and they jammed up..yup its
basically its a metal bar on a reving out engine like crazy..
i can just imagine getting that across the chops a few times
now that wouldnt be fun !!!

i think thats why jiffy changed it to the cage ..

Heres couple pics
of the old jiffy one hander leg breaker that im hunting for~!!!

Jiffy-Ice-Auger-Model-304.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Ov

i Dont know never got at them dolmars yet!
But i do know this im Sure falling hard for that lil POULAN
DANG its a nice in the hand saw!!!!
and easy on the eyes~!!!

PRAY FOR ME BOyZ i feel more poulan saws are coming home soon!

YA or maybe a army of old beavers with out teeth?

hey wait thats the ladies Olympic USA HOCKEY TEAM never mind. LOL

Back