Help ID Old Pioneer Chainsaw Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all. So this past weekend while at a garage sale at the cottage, I saw chainsaw bar side plate laying there. So I asked the gentleman if there was a chainsaw in parts or at least if the rest of it was around. To this his reply was a question asking if I was interested in an older chainsaw to play with and try fixing. I said yes, and that I was not particular, as long as it was prefferebly complete. He came from around the corner carrying a chainsaw case. He put it down and told me to open it up. So I did. It is then when I saw it. It was an old Pioneer chainsaw. Appeared complete and told me he had picked it up as a project to play with himself. Anyways, we got to talking price as I was kinda interested. So he asked if I thought $10 was fair. I looked it over and said yes. Included the chainsaw, case, 2 chains, another 2 smaller (91) used Oregon chains in a box (not pictured) and a rifle cleaning kit. Got it to teh cottage and it had spark. A little bit in the carb had it running, not good, but running. So, I now need to figure out what make and model this saw really is. It has P25 on the air cover, what appears to be P26 on one side cover, and 1074 on the third. How best do I deteremine what I actually have here? Also to note, he marked 16:1 fuel mix on the side of the saw. Is this really the mixture as I will go and mix up some fuel once I get the proper mixture figured out. Once I get it running, I will have to figure out the correct chain and get a replacement for it as the ones included are pretty stretched out, and I cannot get them tight to the bar. Thank you in advance.
20190526_130241.jpg 20190526_130247.jpg 20190526_130302.jpg

Great. I was kind of wondering about the ID plate, but it is not there, however two studs are still there.... That is if it is as you suggested. I did look for it prior to posting, but was just not sure about it. Thank you.

How does one ID the carburetor on this chainsaw. All I see when taking the cover off is #2 stamped on the top of it. I was hoping that this may help in ID'ing the model. Also just checked and yes, the information plate on teh bottom is indeed missing and teh 2 studs are still on there.

Just a little update. If this thread needs to be removed, please do so as I just remembered there was a Pioneer specific forum that I added this to. Thank you.

Just a little update to this. I am led to believe that the saw in question is a P25. This is just a guess as the chains and bars provided with the saw are 3/8 pitch, and by the specs I found online, only the P25 had that size chain with it. Both the P26 and 1074 showed a .325 sized chain. There is also teh possibility that parts were changed sometime along its life to make it 3/8, but as for now I will just call it a P25!

Latest posts

Back