small chain saws..pros and cons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My small saw is a 5100. I don't see the need for anything smaller, unless you are climbing, even at that I prefer the 5100.

The 5100 certainly has all the features you want in a saw. I would want a lighter smaller one to limb with though, about 40cc and around 8-9 pounds with a picco bar and chain. Something you can climb with if needed. The weight factor becomes more apaprent when pruning trees from the ground (saw higher than your shoulders) and cutting when climbing. Though I know people that climb with 440s. For short ground work, a saw like a 5100 would be fine. 11-some odd pounds, and a lot of power. Especially at the price at places like Amicks has them at.

Good point though...

Jacey, This is Mrs. D Mc here (S Mc). I can only give feedback on the 170 Stihl. But I have used that as my saw going on its 3rd season. I am the ground crew (not a climber) but I really like its dependability and reliability. It gets used way more than "occasionally" and had no difficulty taking down a long row of elms about the same size you are saying the crape myrtles will be. Bucking up trunk sections, well, I start letting D Mc handle the bigger stuff with his saw. We did do a muffler mod (ok, D Mc did for me). It opens it up and gives it a bit more power. These little chains are very easy to dull, so watch the dirt. Keeping it sharp, cuts super.

S Mc

Jacey, This is Mrs. D Mc here (S Mc). I can only give feedback on the 170 Stihl. But I have used that as my saw going on its 3rd season. I am the ground crew (not a climber) but I really like its dependability and reliability. It gets used way more than "occasionally" and had no difficulty taking down a long row of elms about the same size you are saying the crape myrtles will be. Bucking up trunk sections, well, I start letting D Mc handle the bigger stuff with his saw. We did do a muffler mod (ok, D Mc did for me). It opens it up and gives it a bit more power. These little chains are very easy to dull, so watch the dirt. Keeping it sharp, cuts super.

S Mc

Thanx S. Mc~What do you think about the suggestion that the 180 for the 1/2 lb more, be a better purchase? I think I heard in one of the private messages sent that it would roar with a 14 inch bar..and that's probably what I'd be using..if only my little Echo wasn't such a pain..it truly fits me well..sigh.

Thanx S. Mc~What do you think about the suggestion that the 180 for the 1/2 lb more, be a better purchase? I think I heard in one of the private messages sent that it would roar with a 14 inch bar..and that's probably what I'd be using..if only my little Echo wasn't such a pain..it truly fits me well..sigh.

As I said, I can only comment on the 170 not the 180 (unfortunately); however, with that said...I have used my husband's 020 Super and his 192 Stihl which are (I believe) approximately 1 lb different and I couldn't believe how that 1 lb made a difference at the end of the day. The 1/2 lb dif on the 170 to 180 may not make any difference to you.

I haven't priced the 180 but around here the 170s are under $200 ($189.95 exactly); that's really hard to beat in my eyes. Finding a saw that "fits" is crucial. That's another reason I like the 170. It "fits" me. I'm extremely small and don't like to feel I am being driven by the saw, but rather that I can control it. So pick them both up and see how they balance for you. Good luck and keep me posted.

S Mc

180 Its a great saw for what its intended for:chainsaw:
Also it has a little more power than the 170. I have hade mine for some time and have broke stuff (handle, break attach point) but runs good. 210 has a better air filter though

If you don't use it every day it should last you a long time. I have cut 24" logs with mine.(not recomened)

Last edited:
Jacey, I stopped into our local saw shop today and ended up purchasing a MS 180C. My 170 is in its 3rd season and needing some maintenance so I thought I would get a back up saw. They had both in; so thought I would try the 180 to see if I could tell much difference.

Keeping in mind that I was used to my 170 that was in need of maintenance and the 180 was brand new off the shelf...I could tell a slight difference but really wasn't "wowed" by the difference. The prices were 170 - $189.95 and 180 - $219.95. I can see that the toolless adjuster for the chain will be handy. I also like the metal, aggressive dogs on the 180 for bucking up logs (rather than the plastic, short quassi dogs on the 170).

It did cut through 10" logs no problem but it is on the first tank of gas...hasn't even broken in yet so wasn't really getting aggressive. We'll see after it breaks in.

Just thought I would let you know my feedback. Contrary to what D Mc will tell you, I didn't buy it just because the bar said "Stihl Miniboss" (I'm really small, hahaha).

S Mc

Latest posts

Back