Small chainsaw with least pollution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can go with inboard or outboard clutch, i'm not professional user, just occasionally. But are those 4 stroke saws much heavier? I want something light.

I checked:
Echo-310
Stihl 170
Stihl 170D (which has catalytic converter) - those Stihls have 2 mix engine which seems to be more efficient
Stihl 171
Husqvarna 120 Mark II - has x-torq which is same technology as 2 mix?
Makita/Dolmar EA3200S (also has catalytic converter)

Does Echo and Makita have similar technologies?

Which one would you guys choose? Or maybe something else?
The four stroke things I mentioned are pole saws not shaped like what you checked above.

The Makita EA3601 has some interesting design to make for clean air, cleaner air. I think it runs the same kind chain on the same kind of spur sprocket that the above choices do.

The kind of oil you are using can make a huge difference. Huge difference in smoke, odor, fumes ext. Also what ratio of gas to oil you are using.

If you use a JASO FD/ISO EGD oil, at a 40 to 50:1 ratio, the amount of visible smoke will be so little you wont see it once its warmed up, and even cold they barely smoke, compared to JASO FB oils and other older/non rated oils. Next your chainsaw must be in proper tune, a chainsaw running too rich will very easily give you a headache with excessive fumes and smoke. This is the biggest culprit IMO. Too rich is skipping lots of UNBURNED heated raw fuel in the air, and that can give you headaches/sensitivity in no time flat. Certain brands of oil (even the Jaso FD/iso EGD oils) have different smells and sensitivities depending on the person. Worth trying a few different ones.

Canned fuel here in the U.S.A. is non ethanol and made different than gasoline for a long shelf life, and I have found burns and smells less toxic than regular pump fuel. Next you have 2 basic types of 2 stroke engines in chainsaws. Starto charged, and traditional. Strato charging is a bit more complex but uses something like 25% less gasoline for a given run time. Someone correct me if my number is far off. This will significantly change the amount of annoying fumes. A catalytic converter will reduce fumes (or atleast change their composition to be less annoying), however they don't last forever, and add restriction to the exhaust. Many saws reduce their emmisions so much by using strato charging they don't have a cat. So it might take some looking to find a saw with both. Also don't over look engine size. Its obvious but a 60cc saw is going to put out more fumes than a little 30cc one. Another obvious thing is that if you keep your back to the wind, even the smokiest saw wouldn't matter at all!

For a gas saw your best bet would be:
Smallest CC saw
strato charged
cat converter
Jaso FD rated oil @ 50:1
Aspen/canned fuel
CORRECTLY TUNED!
sharp chain-cut faster/less time cutting

Sure doesn't sound like much fun though!!!!

Thanks to everyone for many tips!!

I'm just thinking about getting Stihl 171D, as it has 2mix engine(starto charged, similar to xtorq if im correct?) and cat converter. I tried Stihl MS180 once and it was great for what i need.

But i'm still not sure if cordless saw would be better option? Is it more or less expensive in the long run? How long batteries last? Would it hold a charge after 3 years?

Professional High Limb Rope Chainsaw — 48in., Model# CS-48
Item# 15016
rating.gif

openRatingsHistogram.gif

161 Reviews
6 Answered Questions

But i'm still not sure if cordless saw would be better option? Is it more or less expensive in the long run? How long batteries last? Would it hold a charge after 3 years?
Batteries do have a life. Part of it depends on quality, how they are used and cared for.

I still have some 8 year old Lithium-ion batteries for my 40volt Oregon chainsaw that work. Batteries for other cordless tools I have that failed, failed within the first year (they would not take a charge).

Compare costs of a replacement battery and electricity to the costs of: fuel, 2-cycle oil, air filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, tune ups, and other maintenance. Factor in convenience and the lack of noise, fumes, vibration, starting problems, etc.

Battery powered saws are not for everyone or every application, but sound like something that you should look into.

Philbert

I've been really happy with Redline Allsport synthetic oil. I switched my two stroke off road motorcycles to it after getting complaints from other competitors about the stink from my bike's exhaust. With Allsport at 50:1 in my saws there's little smoke and the smell is pleasant. At least to me, and I stopped getting complaints so it must be to other people too.

But for a small saw I'd reconsider battery saws. Supposedly they're getting pretty good. Although as far as I know there's no chaps that are rated to stop a battery saw (electric motors being much harder to stall that gas engines).

Thanks to everyone for many tips!!

I'm just thinking about getting Stihl 171D, as it has 2mix engine(starto charged, similar to xtorq if im correct?) and cat converter. I tried Stihl MS180 once and it was great for what i need.

I think of you care for the battery properly and store it properly then it’ll give back better. In the end I guess it depends on brand as well...you get what you pay for. But like Philbert said there’s a lot of stuff you’re not having to do for the price of the batteries. But when your charge it out you’re also having to wait for them to charge back up so now the gasser could be up and going still. All depends on your usage

Latest posts

Back