Small Engine Repair books?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntblaster14

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'd like to learn a little more about small engine repairs. I do a lot of maintenance around the farm on the tractors, hay equipment etc. I've never split our tractors, or done an engine tear down. I've mainly done things like alternator swaps, general lube/oil/fluid , diesel injectors, replace hydraulic, fuel, brake lines, plugs/ignition, steering pump, tie rods, light welding (i'm not that good lol), ya know.. farm stuff.

Ive never really taken apart a chainsaw, weed trimmer etc, and would like some books to read over and get more familiar with the nitty details. I've done things like take out the carb, clean it up, replace needle or float, adjust H/L/T screws, fuel filters, vent lines, starter cord, etc. Thanks.

Get yourself a copy of a factory service manual. It will walk you through everything, in a logical process.

Two strokes are so simple, its mind-boggling how some make them confusing.

Trying to find a copy of service manuals for the 346, 372, and 395... I have some for my Stihl saws, I imagine a lot is similar.

I do not have the time to take a 5 month class.... I run a 160ac farm with 1 other person helping me out, so I rarely have the time to leave the property except for food runs.. even the fuel is brought to me lol !!

Good book to understand operation and troubleshooting of 2-strokes: "Two-Stroke Engine Repair & Maintenance" by Paul Dempsey. 2-strokes totally different in many ways from 4-strokes.

$15 at Amazon, or search PirateBay for torrent of pdf of book.

Schedule your next trip to town for a Saturday and buy every Wild Thing you can find at a yard sale for $10. Take them apart documenting the steps until you have enough good parts to make a new saw. Put it all back together and you now have your education.

Schedule your next trip to town for a Saturday and buy every Wild Thing you can find at a yard sale for $10. Take them apart documenting the steps until you have enough good parts to make a new saw. Put it all back together and you now have your education.
New saw minus a piston & cyl. Still trying to find one at a yard sale that isn't burnt up.

Thanks for the replies. Yea, it's a diversified farm. Angus cattle, laying hens, broilers, turkeys, row crops, seed saving/cleaning, custom poultry/hog feed mixing, and hay. Toss in a few greenhouses for fun and I'm a pretty busy guy.

Good idea on the garage sales, I send the Mrs. out and she hasn't seen much for tools at all lately. We're in the peoples republic of maryland... so its nothing like PA was....

There's NO way you have time to learn small engine repair when you have so much demand on your time!!!!
If you have to repair a saw, the best you can do is get the service manual for that saw and GOOD luck!

LOL yea I know... I come home to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and that's about it. When the mrs. goes away for work, I'm totally fubar.

Started working on 2 strokes a few years ago when I breathed life into a couple of non-running Ryobi line trimmers I got for free. Full tear down and rebuild. It gave me an appreciation for the well engineered saws that came later. You tube, illustrated parts lists, workshop manuals and forums like this set me on the right path.

Some good advice above. Two strokes become simple once you've gone through a few of them...and strangely satisfying.

aa84565e51a5ddb002caac48e4c9e3fa.jpg

One of my favourites. Youtube and service manuals and machines you can tear down without pressure from someone wanting them up and running.Good luck.

Trying to find a copy of service manuals for the 346, 372, and 395... I have some for my Stihl saws, I imagine a lot is similar.

I do not have the time to take a 5 month class.... I run a 160ac farm with 1 other person helping me out, so I rarely have the time to leave the property except for food runs.. even the fuel is brought to me lol !!
Man, I didn't even notice that you're a fellow Murderlander. What county are you located?

Thanks for the replies. Yea, it's a diversified farm. Angus cattle, laying hens, broilers, turkeys, row crops, seed saving/cleaning, custom poultry/hog feed mixing, and hay. Toss in a few greenhouses for fun and I'm a pretty busy guy.

Good idea on the garage sales, I send the Mrs. out and she hasn't seen much for tools at all lately. We're in the peoples republic of maryland... so its nothing like PA was....
First, I salute your enthusiam and wish you all the best with your farm. More people should have this work ethic.
I have several older small engine manuals that cover the basics well. PM me your address and I'll send you one.

Latest posts

Back