Small limb/clearing saw suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my hunting bone saw.

718qrnSd8-L._SL1500_.jpg
Wow! That looks sharp.
But....as you can tell by my collection of lightweight saws, I'm kinda lazy...and impatient. And the little 2511T gets through the bigger chunks of hardwood pretty quick without weighing me down.20190105_111638.jpgA cool addition to any collection. Suitable not only for in tree work and carrying around to cut a few larger pieces here and there, but also pruining, hedge trimming, trail work, and short distance backpacking/camping. Super easy to start and a fun to use saw.

I prefer this lower revving 346 with 16" b&c for reducing brush piles though.20191021_201217.jpg More reach and never throws a chain.

The 361P is certainly the more versatile saw.20181225_102717.jpg A quick and fast spinner that crosses over into light firewood duty more easily, along with ability to tackle hardwoods over a foot in diameter without complaining too much. And one of the lightest 36cc rear handle saws available.

How does the MS150 compare to the 2411. I see they are both about the same cc. The Echo is smaller but what about quality? Yes, I switched from small rear handles to looking into top handles. May be a better option to clear some trail obstructions wile using the Polaris Ranger.

How does the MS150 compare to the 2411. I see they are both about the same cc. The Echo is smaller but what about quality? Yes, I switched from small rear handles to looking into top handles. May be a better option to clear some trail obstructions wile using the Polaris Ranger.
I believe the Echo 2511 is favored over the 150.
It's lighter and more powerful.
For the record, after being broken in, mine pops first pull every time. It's all stock, but does fine. I run a 12 or 14 inch 3/8 LP.

Here's a couple of respected pros thoughts.

I have been toying around with adding a small 30cc ish saw to do some clearing and small ground limbing (no tree climbing for me.) Don't think a top handle is needed but looking for suggestions and only want a PRO grade saw regardless of brand. That being said Stihl is what my other saws are and my next biggest saw would be a 50cc saw. Figure 12/14" bar but prefer the smaller 12" for this task I think. Looking for advice.

I have a Echo CS-360TES (1,6kw, 12") and a CS-280TES (about 3,5kg with bar and chain, 10").
Not much metal but the plastic is quality parts, and why is that? - because the weight is perfect.

Well, I think I have moved to top handles due to the compactness. I don't need a 201 but have been looking at the 193, 150, 2511 among a couple others I am just starting to investigate. Suggestions and prefer Stihl unless I have an argument to go Echo ect.

Well, I think I have moved to top handles due to the compactness. I don't need a 201 but have been looking at the 193, 150, 2511 among a couple others I am just starting to investigate. Suggestions and prefer Stihl unless I have an argument to go Echo ect.

If you prefer Stihl stay with it, you'll find what you want - they are all good quality saws.
T-saw - it's about maneuverability (good and bad), rear handle is about moment and effortless control.

Money no object, I'd definitely pick the Stihl MS201T over the Echo CS-355. I would love to add a 201 to my arsenal.

The handle on the 355 doesn't feel right to me.
I like the older style Echo handle like on the 3400, 345, and 303T. But they don't really compare to a 201.

But the 2511 beats the more expensive 150 in too many ways to ignore, in my opinion. Power, size, weight. And I like the angled back side handle.

The parts that usually get broken on either of these saws is not the case, and is plastic on both.
The 2511 is a great little saw, but can't say for sure I'd choose it over a 201 if my next smallest saw was a 50cc.
But here's a little comparison video with a 2511 and a 200 rear handle(16" on both), just to show that the little saw is no slouch. The dawgs look like a worthwhile addition to the 2511 to eliminate chatter. You can skip to 6:44 after the Echo while they switch the b&c.

The 2511 is a great little saw, but can't say for sure I'd choose it over a 201 if my next smallest saw was a 50cc.

That's a comparison between the biggest and heaviest - and the smallest and lightest saw in it's class; alfa vs omega, utmost left vs utmost right, black vs white.
If you don't know what to pick then you don't know what to use it for and should perhaps save your money, or why should you choose - just buy both :yes:

That's a comparison between the biggest and heaviest - and the smallest and lightest saw in it's class; alfa vs omega, utmost left vs utmost right, black vs white.
If you don't know what to pick then you don't know what to use it for and should perhaps save your money, or why should you choose - just buy both :yes:
Can't say that both would be the wrong answer.

But I got a pile of 33 to 41cc saws. And other than the 2511, only the XL220191019_210536.jpg under 30cc. So the 2511, being the best small saw since sliced bread, and one that had enough going for it to get guys who would've otherwise never used a saw so small until it came out, was the obvious choice for me.

Remember when the danarm was a popular cheap climbing saw?

Xl2 I have a weed wacker attachment on it.

Wow! That looks sharp.
But....as you can tell by my collection of lightweight saws, I'm kinda lazy...and impatient. And the little 2511T gets through the bigger chunks of hardwood pretty quick without weighing me down.View attachment 769530A cool addition to any collection. Suitable not only for in tree work and carrying around to cut a few larger pieces here and there, but also pruining, hedge trimming, trail work, and short distance backpacking/camping. Super easy to start and a fun to use saw.

I prefer this lower revving 346 with 16" b&c for reducing brush piles though.View attachment 769531 More reach and never throws a chain.

The 361P is certainly the more versatile saw.View attachment 769532 A quick and fast spinner that crosses over into light firewood duty more easily, along with ability to tackle hardwoods over a foot in diameter without complaining too much. And one of the lightest 36cc rear handle saws available.

As a small limb/clearing saw, that last one seems pretty perfect to me. At least to what I associate with it.

As a small limb/clearing saw, that last one seems pretty perfect to me. At least to what I associate with it.
It is a nice little saw. I chose to buy it to run in place of a 40cc saw because it is just so light, compact, and easy handling.
But I still dream of adding a 241 to my small saw stable.

Geez...tried the Echo 2511 today and like both the 150 and 2511. Hmmm what to do.

It is a nice little saw. I chose to buy it to run in place of a 40cc saw because it is just so light, compact, and easy handling.
But I still dream of adding a 241 to my small saw stable.
MS241 is a very fine saw if you can get one. It's my second most reached for saw right now. First is my MS200t.

Back