Small rear handle limbing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't see paying $600 for a 30cc saw! You just wait and see if I don't have a pro construction saw that'll out cut a MS200 for $215 real soon here!

Out-cutting is easy.. it just has to out-last one to be a serious contender....

It will be real interesting to see what stihl comes up with for a 2010 replacement. Oh oh, another to put on my "list" for next year...

Yes except the weight is a myth the 420 is very very close to the 401 in weight! If you pick them both up it is not very noticeable!

Echo CS-370 is a lightweight powerful saw, good for limbing.

I like to think of it as a notch under the 440, but with almost the same power with a 16" bar and chain.

And as always you arent giving up anything in the quality or design department to get into a smaller saw.

The 370 utilizes the new 1 ring piston design, so far we have a few being used commercially and they just seem to get more powerful the more tanks get run through them.

And it's priced attractively too.

CS370.jpg

I've been looking at the CS-370 and CS-400's. I was thinking maybe to try a Makita, Redmax, or Stihl in the 35-40cc range, just to add something different to the herd. I am really not in need of any more saws, as my Husky 55 and Echo CS-510 do excellent jobs of limbing, and are relatively light weight.

Just wanted some opinions, and options, thanks for all the recomendations.....Cliff

I bucked logs in the 15" range for an hour last week with a CS-510, with a 20" bar, then used it to split a few of them...That is a darn good saw.

But I wouldnt use it for too much limbing, Id want a saw a few pounds lighter myself. Imean, you really arent looking for power if you are limbing. just the ability to sink the bar into 8-12" of wood and have it sail through...without wearing you out, as you still have to load that mess.

We use a CS-305 at work for cutting up pallets for the heater, 14" bar and chain, poor thing goes through 3-4 tanks at a time..it's got to be 8 years old now, It's perfect for limbing, but not the fastest saw in the world. Incredibly lightweight, quieter than normal, starts on 3 pulls every time, idles good. I can cut pallets for 45 minutes and not be sore at all. And cutting pallets aint no fun. Im constantly getting nails thrown at me, and the wood is knotty.

Yes, cutting pallets, light duty stuff, alas it's about all a 30cc echo will be any use for, check this vid, dunno who's it is, this video makes me tired just looking, the poor operator has used more physical energy running that echo in 20 seconds than I'd use all day swinging on either a stihl or a husky :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSHMJ9pS_8M

Yes, cutting pallets, light duty stuff, alas it's about all a 30cc echo will be any use for, check this vid, dunno who's it is, this video makes me tired just looking, the poor operator has used more physical energy running that echo in 20 seconds than I'd use all day swinging on either a stihl or a husky :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSHMJ9pS_8M

That's kinda the idea Hoss. You use a small, lightweight, durable saw for jobs that dont call for a 20+" bar, unholy chain speed, and gobs of power...It saves your arms, back, and muscles from fatigue they dont need.

If I used a CS-440 for pallet duty, Id be worn out at the end of thr 45 minutes from all the moving you do. I sit the pallets on their side, cut down each 2X4, thats like 8 slats, then cut the 2X4's into sections. Nothing larger than 12"X6" will fit into the little heater, and I usually cut up 4-5 pallets when I do it. We also use the CS-305 for limbing and small bucking when we get some raw firewood, we have an array of larger, more powerful saws...but the CS-305 doe it without any problems. We just keep the chain sharp. After 4 pallets, all the nails, staples, and gettign the tip into the dirt...the chain goes across the grinder, back like new again.

Well, after looking at Redmax, Dolmar, Makita, and Stihl small rear handle saws in the 34-40cc range, I bought an Echo CS-370.

Yep, couldn't resist trying another one out. I'm already figuring I'll have to put a real chain on it and remove the catalyst from the muffler.

Couldn't beat the price on it, "Buy it Now" on E-bay for $148, with $32 shipping and I get 20 percent off the purchase price. At least I'm woln't be in it too deep if it turns out to be a real TURD!......Cliff

Well, after looking at Redmax, Dolmar, Makita, and Stihl small rear handle saws in the 34-40cc range, I bought an Echo CS-370.

Yep, couldn't resist trying another one out. I'm already figuring I'll have to put a real chain on it and remove the catalyst from the muffler.

Couldn't beat the price on it, "Buy it Now" on E-bay for $148, with $32 shipping and I get 20 percent off the purchase price. At least I'm woln't be in it too deep if it turns out to be a real TURD!......Cliff

I think you will be very Happy.

Get the safety Chain off it, first and foremost. The muffler, eh...your choice, it seems to breath pretty good right out of the box, lots of torque.

After a few tanks you will notice it really start to come alive.

That's the same saw the place my dad works at, bought 2 of, and these things get run fairly often by a variety of people, and so far, about 18 months later, the saws feel stronger than they did new, start on 1-2 pulls from sitting, and have not had to be touched ad far as tune goes, or as far as anythign else goes.

Good advice, the chain comes off as soon as I get it. I'll run it for a dozen tanks of fuel or so before any muffler modding, etc.

I had a long talk with my point of contact who used to work for Echo. He told me that CS-370 uses a modern engine with some nice features, good bearings, forged parts, unique piston shape, porting, etc. Very efficient and a high rpm design. He said it will tach up around 13,500-14,500 when correctly tuned, and has a rev limiting module like our CS-360T.

We'll see? At least I'll have a new present to play with at Christmas!......Cliff

I looked at quite a few auctions for the 400's. I took the plunge on the 370 figuring I couldn't get hurt at $150. The 400's with shipping were in the low to mid $200 range. I would have went for a Redmax or Makita for that much coin.

Basically I'm just going to try out the little CS-370, and have more unbiased feedback/opinions to offer, as I could care less who makes the saws we use, but we do demand dead solid reliability and good power to weight ratios. I've dumped all of the TURDS in our line-up, even though our 480CD isn't overly powerful, I bought it almost 29 years ago when I got married, so figured I keep it around at least as long as the wife....I sell it the day after we get divorced!.....Cliff

Good advice, the chain comes off as soon as I get it. I'll run it for a dozen tanks of fuel or so before any muffler modding, etc.

I had a long talk with my point of contact who used to work for Echo. He told me that CS-370 uses a modern engine with some nice features, good bearings, forged parts, unique piston shape, porting, etc. Very efficient and a high rpm design. He said it will tach up around 13,500-14,500 when correctly tuned, and has a rev limiting module like our CS-360T.

We'll see? At least I'll have a new present to play with at Christmas!......Cliff

Yeah, the Power Boost Vortex engine has unheard of Tolerances, Barrel faced rings, low friction everthing., I beleive the crank is forged and head treated, Possibly the piston is Forged but I dont know for sure, possibly just cast.

The engine is thermally efficient, and fuel efficient, and still maintains a long happy life without any type of Stato-Charging, or anything stupid like that.

The CS-370 also uses the Same Air filter design as past models, but takes it a step farther with a centrifugal air injection system, which will keep the filter cleaner, longer.

The whole idea behind the Vortex engine is power through tight clearances, and tolerances that ensure consistency and maintains those clearances. nothing is moving in a way it shouldnt, everything stays aligned...it is nothing short of 2 stroke perfection.

We all know the economy is nose-diving, it's a recession and all that, but harsh reality must be biting hard having to resort to echos Just joking Red, but Cliff, your 360T is still running? After a year? That's incredible, down here they develop death-rattles and self-destruct within weeks(not joking) but that gutted muffler and revised jetting sounds like it's saving the day on that score, pity others, they can't touch the saw without losing all warranty and no money back.. Red, a "36.3cc Power Boost Vortex TM engine" and a "Pro-Fire R electronic ignition" - straight away I'm suspicious, and still no power output figures, for ease of use it's gotta have 1.7 - 1.8KW to match the top husky and stihl

Back