Small Walnut logs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A co-worker of mine is putting in a new house-trailer and had to clear out a few trees to do so. He called me Friday night and asked if I wanted a few Walnut logs. They are not too big in diameter but they were free. They are about 8-10" across and all but two are 8' long, the shorter ones are about 4' long and 7' long. I should get some nice spindle blanks out of them. View attachment 79406

Last edited:
Looks like som good lather practice form here, maybe a candlestick holder or two, lamp bases, small regular and ring bowls.
Rich S.

let it lay a while usually the color will bleed over into the sapwood some on its own

Last edited:
walnut

Walnut is king for wood.I think i'd build some guitar necks and fretboards with it.It should be big enough for that.I know if you let it sit a year before you mill it, the white will turn dark brown from heartwood stain.I also like the two tone effect for flutes as well.Good luck with it Dusty:clap:

I certainly wouldn't turn down logs that dia if they were walnut or cherry... oak would be a different story. Even though you end up putzing around a lot and end up with relatively low bd ft count, you can't always look at things like that. Walnut is walnut... sometimes it's worth taking what you can get.

Thanks everyone. I will more than likely let it sit for a while to let the sapwood turn some. Will sealing the ends of the logs affect the staining of the sapwood in any way? Thanks again.:cheers:

Back