Small wood lot management

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 10 acre property of which 8 is porbably treed. From what I can gather the land was cleared about 40-45 years ago. We're the 2nd owners of this property, the original owners had been here for 13 years and the guy did cut alot ( I have a 36x40 barn and 16x20 shed all made from Cedar for the land.) I cut about 1.5-2 cord last year of Maple, brich and some Poplar. Most were under 10" in Dia. I have a few larger Maples left 16-18" some Poplar that size, but most are smaller. I'd like to continue 1-2 cord a year. Whats the best thing I can do to promote growth. How should I be going about this? Am I asking to much out of the land!?

Thanks

Bill

See if your local college has a cooperative extension program. They can give you a list of consulting foresters. Or you can go to your local forestry service. Around here, the regional foresters provide consultations for free. They can come cruise your woodlot, look at density, stocking, diversity, health, etc. and give you recommendations for thinning. They may also prepare a forest management plan which can help you see the future of your woodlot as well as maybe reduce some of your property taxes (depending on the tax laws up there).

Here is a good link with resources that I've given to clients.

1-2 cords of wood per year off 8 acres is not a lot. Start with down, dead, & diseased trees, then take trees that are obviously growing too close together. From there, it gets to be a little more complicated, so a site visit from a forester will be able to help you.

Latest posts

Back