small woodstove in garage questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a little wood stove (19"x15x12) for $50 from craigslist. dunno what is is but has "301" embossed on the front as well as an image of an "ole timey" prospector and his mule on the sides. I plan to use this to heat my 12'x20' garage. I don't have any experience with wood stoves outside of stuffing a few full of wood here and there. I realize that this stove is not modern and or up to code. I live in the city. What is the recommended pipe to use? Is it preferable to route the pipe out the roof (15' to the peak) or to make the penetration out the wall, then up and above the roof line? I peeked at the local city code and understand the importance of the masonry-type backing material and the airspace behind it, as well as the distance of pipe above the roof. My garage is fairly rough and am looking for the "good enough" solutions (cheap). Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

My garage is fairly rough and am looking for the "good enough" solutions (cheap). Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE said:
keep in mind good isnt always good enough ,your garage will become alot more "rough" if its reduced to a large pile of smoldering ashes becuase of running something cheap.

You may also want to call your insurance company to see how a woodstove in a garage affects you. I may be wrong, but I think some insurance companies wouln't allow a woodstove in a garage, I know mine wouldn't. Definately worth a call to find out for sure though.

great advice flotek. of course i don't want to burn my garage down. any advice on my questions?

Your City code inspectors probably have specific details. Call from a public phone if you don't want to identify yourself or your property.

Usually need single wall pipe inside the garage; a UL approved thimble where it penetrates the wall or roof; double walled pipe outside the structure.

Straight up through the roof is usually easier and cheaper than through the wall, because you don't need as many elbows and support brackets. Flash it carefully to avoid leaks.

Be ware of flammable dusts, vapors, etc. Be vigilant about storing things near it. Think about some type of spark arrestor at the top if near a wooded area.

Philbert

One piece of advise I can give is put the stove up on blocks so the fire box is about 15" off the ground, in a garage gas fumes and such like to lay low along the floor. I had a 20# propane tank in my garage that was leaking once and a spark hit the floor and the whole floor turned blue flame. Also keep a good fire extinguisher handy.

Philbert and Coldfront, thank you for the advice. The stove sits on 10" legs. Do you think that is sufficient? Garage floor is concrete, should I lay down fire brick underneath? Definately plan to have fire extinguishers on hand and load the stove minimally with hardwood. Certainly want to play it safe, just don't need (can't afford) fancy new triple wall stainless steel pipe. Thanks again all for allowing a newbie to tread into the fire cult:)

Last edited:
Wood doctor, sorry to be dense. Philbert anwered my original questions.

my next question is:

Do I need to lay fire brick or another such material under my stove?

It sits on 10" legs on concrete flooring.
Thanks in advance all.

Wood doctor, sorry to be dense. Philbert anwered my original questions.

my next question is:

Thanks in advance all.

no

MGA, I plan to install the stove at least a foot, probably two feet from the wall with 24g sheet metal behind it spaced a couple inches from the wall with a couple inches spacing from the floor and near the roof penetration. Does this sound adequate?

You don't NEED to, but raising it up a mite wouldn't be a bad idea, due to the flammable vapors already mentioned. Might look nicer if it's on a brick bed, too. If you "wrap" them in 2x4s, fastened at the corners, you won't need to use any adhesive, so you'll be able to take it all out without any mess should the need arise.

Mind that wall clearance. A foot sounds too close, to me.

MGA, I plan to install the stove at least a foot, probably two feet from the wall with 24g sheet metal behind it spaced a couple inches from the wall with a couple inches spacing from the floor and near the roof penetration. Does this sound adequate?

yes it does but see if you can find a manul to be sure

it might be, but you should just check with local codes just to be sure. you don't have to apply for a permit, but you could ask questions and they'll give you answers as to what they like to see.

5/8" fire rated drywall might work just as well.

it might be, but you should just check with local codes just to be sure. you don't have to apply for a permit, but you could ask questions and they'll give you answers as to what they like to see.

5/8" fire rated drywall might work just as well.

double 5/8 will pass all codes in single family but get ahold of a manul it super seed all codes

I bought a little wood stove (19"x15x12) for $50 from craigslist. dunno what is is but has "301" embossed on the front as well as an image of an "ole timey" prospector and his mule on the sides. I plan to use this to heat my 12'x20' garage. I don't have any experience with wood stoves outside of stuffing a few full of wood here and there. I realize that this stove is not modern and or up to code. I live in the city. What is the recommended pipe to use? Is it preferable to route the pipe out the roof (15' to the peak) or to make the penetration out the wall, then up and above the roof line? I peeked at the local city code and understand the importance of the masonry-type backing material and the airspace behind it, as well as the distance of pipe above the roof. My garage is fairly rough and am looking for the "good enough" solutions (cheap). Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

is this a detact garage and is this what you have http://www.usstove.com/proddetail.php?prod=1261

Last edited:
It best to go tru the roof and avoid the 2 elbows needed to go tru the wall as this will be a creasote trap as well as a moisture trap
(pipe will rot out faster)

Sorry to say but wood stoves are generally not permitted in residental garages. For unventilated commecial repair garages the bottom 18" of airpsace is considered a hazardous location. You should check out NFPA 211. Here's some more information:
Category:NFPA
Can you put a wood stove, pellet stove or coal stove in a residential garage?The answer is usually NO.

The guidelines in this case are those written by NFPA (National Fire Protection Association). These are accepted and considered as the “base” code for most places in the USA.

As per the enclosed snippet, NFPA 211 states:

Location of Appliances.

12.2.4 Solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

Additionally, 12.2.3 forbids installation anywhere gasoline or other flammable vapors may be present.

Note: There has been some discussion as to the meaning of the term “garage”. There is little doubt that this refers to an attached garage which has large door opening, and therefore CAN be used for storing automobiles. However, some inspectors and experts have allowed “ignition source” appliances in detached garages (shop, by their definition). Still, if such “shops” are used for wood working, car repair, etc. then BOTH 12.2.3 and common sense would dictate that any source of ignition not be present, especially close to the floor, where vapors tend to build up.

Thanks for all the responses and input. Smokinj- the garage is detached and, no the stove you linked is not the one I have. Will speak to the insurance co. to see what they say.

Latest posts

Back