Smaller companion to MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deluxetwelve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, let's get the formalities out of the way first. Hi there, and this is my first post, but have to admit to have been lurking for a while. I am definitely in the category of "enthusiast amateur" or whatever you want to call it, but really appreciate the comments of the pros here, which helped me understand better my needs, get reasonably educated and objective (??) comments. All of which led me to graduate to the MS361, which thus far I love. My chainsaw life started a couple of years ago with my first purchase of a MS250, having tooled around on an old small domestic McCulloch. I see this chainsaw thing as definitely addictive. I found the 250 was pretty good for most things, but was occasionally running out of grunt on some of the jobs I was doing. So I figured an upgrade was in order, so got good money on the MS250 from ebay before I had worn it out too much (made the upgrade less painful). The 361 is fantastic and eats through logs in a way that the 250 was sorely lacking....but.....

Now.....I reckon I require a smaller, lighter saw for the smaller cutting jobs, pruning and firewood etc, where the 361 is a bit unwieldy (something with a shorter bar than the 250 and lighter also would fill the gap, I think). I did dabble with the idea of a top handle pruner (192T or even Husky 334T) but hear some negative stuff about that from a safety perspective, esp. for out of tree stuff. The 200T is too much money for a part-time hack like me looking for a second saw.

So how about the MS180 or one of the smaller Huskys even?. I know, they are relative toys to some of you pros, but for a guy like me perhaps that would do the job. The smallest "pro" Stihl is a 260 which is overkill and too heavy for a second saw. Of course I would rather avoid the cash and carry junk from the mainstream stores - I might be an amateur but appreciate good engineering! I would not rule out a Husky but keeping it all Stihl would appeal to me (also run a FS90R brushcutter and a blower vac), given the local service and parts situation here and my familiarity with the marque.

Eh..you won't like hearing this, but the 250 probably fit the bill nicely for a secondary saw for limbing. I think the 180 is a decent little saw as well.
Seems like alot of folk are really enjoying the 211. It is the newer Stihl design and Im reading good things online about its performance. Good Luck!

Eh..you won't like hearing this, but the 250 probably fit the bill nicely for a secondary saw for limbing. I think the 180 is a decent little saw as well.
Seems like alot of folk are really enjoying the 211. It is the newer Stihl design and Im reading good things online about its performance. Good Luck!

Agreed. Most are running a 20" on a 361 and the 211 pulls a 16" with the lo pro chain excellent, in fact way better than it should for the cc's it advertises. The 250 is an excellent tried and true saw but the new motors are more efficent offer better filtration with better anti vibes. Not that it matters on a saw of that size just an added plus.

I haven't run one, but the 211 sounds like it's a lot stronger than the 180.

Just different. The 180 cuts pretty quick, in fact surprisingly quick while the 211 has much more torque and is a high rever just like the 441. I think you could do some good things with the 211 if given the chance.

Find a dolmar dealer and check out the ps 34 ps 420 or ps 510. I think they would fit the bill nicely. Price wise they beat Stihl and Husky. Quality-they're all about the same, except the dolmars have mag/alum cases not plastic.

I ported one for The Cutting Edge and it was a real performer. I also did just a muffler mod on another and it was quite impressive as well. It's a lot of saw for the money too. I think they're like $280?

I ported one for The Cutting Edge and it was a real performer. I also did just a muffler mod on another and it was quite impressive as well. It's a lot of saw for the money too. I think they're like $280?

A local shindaiwa dealer picked up the Dolmar line recently and they are asking $328 OTD w/16"B&C for the 420. I paid that much for a used saw once.

Dolmar?

Mmm, other Aussies here may chime in and correct me here, but AFAIK Dolmar doesn't have much of a presence down under. So I think it's Stihl or Husky for now. Might start by looking at this 211 then. Oh, and you've probably heard it ad nauseum, but all the good stuff here is expensive. Seeing how much Americans pay makes me weep :cry:

I had a chance to use that saw (the one you ported) at the CE open house/ NE GTG back in May, and it was a screamer. A whole lot of saw for the money.

Just buy a 346 xp run a 16" bar and be done with it, have both the best in class saws. You won't have to be wondering if you bought the right saw, that is until Stihl brings out a replacement for the 260 pro.

Mmm, other Aussies here may chime in and correct me here, but AFAIK Dolmar doesn't have much of a presence down under. So I think it's Stihl or Husky for now. Might start by looking at this 211 then. Oh, and you've probably heard it ad nauseum, but all the good stuff here is expensive. Seeing how much Americans pay makes me weep :cry:

Mate I agree in my area in aus it's mainly stihl and little bit of husky.

Probably all good choices guys..but why would he get a different brand saw so he can use a diferent dealer and always have two places instead of one? That makes no sense. I swear the pikers on this site. We are so glad you own something different than 90% of us out there!! :clap:
That being sadi, the dealer support is huge, so stay with a stihl 211 or 250. good solid saws. Good luck.

Find a dolmar dealer and check out the ps 34 ps 420 or ps 510. I think they would fit the bill nicely. Price wise they beat Stihl and Husky. Quality-they're all about the same, except the dolmars have mag/alum cases not plastic.

I'm lucky, there is a Dolmar dealer in the nearest major town, but yeah, it's pretty much Husky or Stihl here. My Dolmar dealer is also the local Husky dealer and they really push Husky as they get excellent marketing backup $$. Makita Australia treat Dolmar and their own chainsaw range as the bastard child you never talk about......

BTW, we get the PS5000 here, not the 510.
It's the 5100S with a 1000RPM lower rev limited coil and a different crank.
The same Mg case as the 5100S, same piston, car, etc, etc.

The Makita versions are even cheaper. Stihl (and Husky) pricing is insane here ATM. Example. MS361 on sale for A$1399. Not quite apples to apples, but you can pick up a Makita DCS6401 for under A$900. That's a huge difference.
The MS250 is A$789

I have a Stihl MS170. It works really well as a small limbing saw. For trimming off anything in the 3-4" diameter range it is perfect. It is so light and nimble and you don't need any more horsepower for small little branches. On the other hand...its basically a disposable saw. Its cheap and if it craps out I would just buy a new saw. From my way of thinking though, if you are going to have a cheap disposible saw, it should be the cheapest. So for me the 170 makes good sense over a 211.

The Makita versions are even cheaper. Stihl (and Husky) pricing is insane here ATM. Example. MS361 on sale for A$1399. Not quite apples to apples, but you can pick up a Makita DCS6401 for under A$900. That's a huge difference.
The MS250 is A$789

Holy crap! I just bought a new MS361 Arctic this morning for $660 Canadian. I got a Husky 357XP a few weeks ago for $830 Canadian. I feel better now about those prices!

Holy crap! I just bought a new MS361 Arctic this morning for $660 Canadian. I got a Husky 357XP a few weeks ago for $830 Canadian. I feel better now about those prices!

C$660=A$715. Yep we're being got at big time, although I have to say that Oz price includes 10%GST, so the pre tax price is A$1271.82. It really isn't fair...:cry:

Back