smaller saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boike

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I cut about 10-12 cds of wood a year, and deal mostly with stuff I can find for free. We are in a pretty rural area, so I have a lot of downed trees in fields/along fence rows to pick from, but I need a small saw for taking care of the little stuff. I am using a 018 right now, but I have found it to be much less of a saw than I need. Now I do want to keep weight to a min, but wanted to see what others are using for taking care of the littl stuff(less than 6") so I dont have to drag the big saw around until I need it.

I have a MS170 and love it. Good power, nice and light and it starts every time. I put the larger .050 chain on it I like it better.

I have an old sachs dolmar 105 top handle works good cleaning up smaller brush, but felling and cutting up smaller stuff I usually rotate my 044 with an 026. Most saws inbetween 50 and 70cc do an efficient job at that. The main concerns I have are that the saw is dependable and handles good in the conditions I am in.

I use a couple of Echo saws most of the time in that size range. An old CS-290 and a CS-346. Nice, light and handy. Shouldn't have a problem in your size range.

Sundance

There are some nice looking new Dolmars coming out in 2008. The PS-350 and PS-420, which are supposedly pro saws in small cc's-magnesium cases, vertical piston, side bar tensioners, etc. If they are like the bigger saws they should be a handy saw.

I guess my biggest complaint is the the 018 seems to be way under powered, and rather cheep. I have a Husky 257 and a 372 for the big stuff, but I am wondering if anyone has a smaller pro type saw that holds up good for this. I like something 8-9 lbs. I wanted to see what others use for this or if you all even mess with the 'little wood'. Most of the landowners don't like me leaving to much brush for them.

picked up an MS210 for this this year and plenty of power once you open the muffler up a bit. I use an MS290 for 6 to 12 or 14" stuff and an MS440 for all the rest. Find myself just grabbing the 440 once its to the yard though and making quicker work on it.

I guess my biggest complaint is the the 018 seems to be way under powered, and rather cheep. I have a Husky 257 and a 372 for the big stuff, but I am wondering if anyone has a smaller pro type saw that holds up good for this. I like something 8-9 lbs. I wanted to see what others use for this or if you all even mess with the 'little wood'. Most of the landowners don't like me leaving to much brush for them.

The saws I mentioned are all pro-grade saws with magnesium crankcases, bolt-on cylinders, and whatnot. These will definitely hold up to serious use, and are a clear step above the 170/180 family of saws.

I've been happy with my Echos for brush cleanup (30 and 34cc), as well as my Husqvarna 238se.

020, its a tophandle, but it really makes quick work of what you are describing, without fatiguing the operator too soon. I have one, and a little Homelite XL2 that is a tophandle, my favorites for trimming fence lines.
The other saw that works well for the purpose, and is plenty light, WildThing, cheap little beater saw that just keeps working.

I'd think the MS200rear handle would be the way to go in a new saw, pricey, but one hot little number in the wood.:cheers:

The new Husky 346XP New Edition is only 10 lbs and will easily whoop every saw listed here, except for that heavy 361.

With a 16" bar and 3/8 chain it is one bad little motha, a good 3# lighter than your 257.

The 346XP walks right by my 55, which is an excellent brush saw

Back