smallest saw vs. biggest tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E&R_firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was just curious what extreme measures others have gone to. What is the most disproportionate scenario you've found yourself in when it comes to the size of the saw being used and the tree being felled? my own personal experience was using an MS250 with 16" b&c on a Lodgepole Pine that had a 3 ft. diameter stump. the tree had been partially felled in a bad youtube kind of way and left standing just off a busy mountain road when i came upon on it, and the only saw i had in my truck was the MS250, thankfully i had my axe and some wedges behind the seat.

Last edited:
my buddy brought me his old locked up saw that he used to cut firewood with TN for near 10 years. He said he used for everything big tree to small.

Turn out, it was a 011AVQ... with 14" picco. I told him he must had alot of time in his hand.

Took down a 3' plus stump diameter Silver Maple with an 18" bar on an 026.

If I remember, I'll try to get a pic the next time I'm up cutt'n wood.

Not amazing really but...

I took down a 85' ash this spring with my 012av (Well, actually I didn't take it DOWN, there's still a 25' trunk) But I DID take the whole top off. Stihl 012av w/16" bar. I DID use a 031av when I got to one of the larger bottom branches just because it was easier than moving the lift to the other side.

I'm just waiting for the ground to freeze hard, then I'll finally get to use my 088 with the new 36" bar to take the trunk/stump out!

When our neighbor's 3' pig nut tree blew down 30 years ago, I butchered it with a 12'' Poulan. If it hadn't been hollow, I might still be working on it.

Took down a 36" dia honey locust 3 years ago with my 026 pro, 16"bar. It was my only saw at the time.

I cut up a 3' Cedar with a hacksaw!! LOL

Was it uphill both ways in the snow? LOL

I chopped a 32" Ponderosa pine down with my old man's double-bit when I was in the 6th grade... Took me a full day, and many, many blisters!

I won't be doing that again.

Cut down 2 80' cedars that were probably 30" on the butt with an MS260 and an 16-18" bar! Cut em down between some energized powerline too :)

Hey sling'r- was it a biforcated redwood or one butt?! Either way, that's pretty awesome!

Last edited:
In 2007 I took down the remainder of a storm damaged 34" pine with a Poulan Wildthing. After much irritation and frustration, I borrowed a Husky 288 to buck it up with after it was dropped.

I am now a full believer in Big Tree= Big saw, and bring one thats bigger then you think you need.

Latest posts

Back