Smokin meat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be cutting down an entire apple orchard soon so I will have enough wood to smoke a few hundred head of cattle and pigs if I so choose :popcorn:

I will be cutting down an entire apple orchard soon so I will have enough wood to smoke a few hundred head of cattle and pigs if I so choose :popcorn:
If you can chip it and put into gallon bags for resale, you can make a killin on them apple chips. Groceries, rv parks, stove stores and camping stores would buy the heck out of apple chips! Good luck!:clap:

If you can chip it and put into gallon bags for resale, you can make a killin on them apple chips. Groceries, rv parks, stove stores and camping stores would buy the heck out of apple chips! Good luck!:clap:

This is an excellent idea. I to have thought about doing something similar.
I went to Lowes the other day to pick up some mesquite chips and was amazed they were charging $8 for a mid sized bag. I burned through 1/4 of that bag in just one session.

I am really liking this wild cherry I found to. But the problem is, is that it's just over the property line :( So it's not my tree, even though I have been cutting small sections off for smoking chips. I've heard stories about the land owner to, apparently he shoots first and asks later. But damn I love me some good smoked salmon :)
I guess I should go and talk to him, but I've already had my hand in the cookie jar and evidence is visible.

Is that a hot rodded mower? That thing looks like it could climb a tree dad gonit! Lol Cya man.

Nah, just a "Green Boy" with a Briggs & Straton motor. I actually traded it for a push mower hehe. Funny thing is that I rarely mow the yard, it's the fiance who loves moving the yard but only with a self driven push mower. Strange, I know.

Last edited:
Red Oak?

i know white oak is commonly used for smoking meat. can you use red oak as well? haven't really seen it mentioned, and thought it must be for a reason.

Yeah, red oak does very well. It is a bit stronger tasting than white oak, and does not coal quite as long. Red oak seems to take a really long time to season properly for smoking. I've used tons of it and have been happy with the results.

Basically, any oak species will work nicely for cooking.

thanks, i am going to give red oak a try. also have some chinkapin oak, which is closest i have to true white oak.

We just got back from fishing in the Columbia River, Rufus Woods Lake and caught several nice rainbow trout. When we got home I immediately filleted up 11 fish and threw them into a brine and smoked them the next day.
They turned out so darn good, I am beginning to think you just can't go wrong with a smoker. This time I tried alder and mesquite for 12 hours.

2529758122_5b3886f42d.jpg

2530752610_99a299c0c2.jpg

sounds good... how long do you season your oak?

been using mostly pecan and hickory....

Yeah, red oak does very well. It is a bit stronger tasting than white oak, and does not coal quite as long. Red oak seems to take a really long time to season properly for smoking. I've used tons of it and have been happy with the results.

Basically, any oak species will work nicely for cooking.

I cut and split my oak into pieces about 6-8" long and about as thick as your wrist or slightly larger. I use a pretty large OK Joe horizontal offset smoker that has a 20" diameter firebox, for reference. If you use a smaller unit, use smaller wood up to a point. The smaller the piece of wood the hotter it will burn.

For the size I described, 1 year minimum. Oak can seem to take forever to season to my liking. I don't want it smoldering and smoking. I want a small hot clear burning fire. That will give the best wood taste and still let the meat taste as it should.

Oak and pecan is a great combo too. Pecan may be my all around favorite smoking wood.

acer, that would be great. maybe we could swap? i have some mulberry, still needs to season though. i wound up getting the weber smokey mountain cooker, but not allowed to use it until father's day.

excellent smoker!.. I've got an Oklahoma Joe too.

lately been using a trailer mounted custom smoker. main difference beside being bigger is smoke control. it's got metal plates inside to control where smoke comes out. this controls temps across the entire cooking area. vs a side smoker without control plates.

experimenting with oak is on my to do list... pecan works well! got a mess of pecan seasoned and ready to smoke.

I use a pretty large OK Joe horizontal offset smoker that has a 20" diameter firebox, for reference.

Latest posts

Back