Snake ID Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But a Rattlesnake is a Rattle snake basically then we have Coral, Water Mocassin and last Copperhead. All but the Coral have the triangle shaped head, and you don't have Coral snakes there so its real easy to tell which are a threat.
I used to kill rattlers on sight, but i now take them and remove them into the deep woods. A lot of people will never understand my stance on this, and that's OK by me.

Do you have either in Illinois?
May as well throw in a King Cobra too. They're really scary.
Well thanks to idiots who think they are good pets we have all three, thankfully not in the wild but still around. I have a funny story from about 25 years ago regarding a cobra. I cannot type that much on a phone though so it will have to wait.

But a Rattlesnake is a Rattle snake basically then we have Coral, Water Mocassin and last Copperhead. All but the Coral have the triangle shaped head, and you don't have Coral snakes there so its real easy to tell which are a threat.
Years ago there were some idiots that claimed we had coral snakes. Of course we do not.

I wonder how Ireland gets by without snakes. Are they overrun with mice and rats? How about Iceland, Greenland, New Zealand?

Problem animals need to be relocated to other problem areas and live happily ever after like on Billy the exterminator lol.

I like critters, and they are not moving in with me.

Last year I almost stepped on a hog nosed snake.
I think they ate all the garter snakes.

It's a perpetual circle, no one gets out alive.

I like a couple of cats too. Two is plenty for me.
Full disclosure here, we have gone through lots of cats in the 26 + yrs we've been on this property. The ones we have now are refugees from the Mosquito fire last yr that wiped out half of my neighbors homes last Labor day. We know that one of them came from a good friend's home and we agreed to take care of him "temporarily ". The other refugees is a stray that we think was born on our property from a feral mom that we could never catch. They lived in my shop through the winter, and get fed twice a day, and have become very friendly. The20230506_071536.jpgy both need fixed now as the have produced a litter of 3 kittens that are now three weeks old, and are all spoken for. We also have a male cat that's been with us for10 yrs now, and he comes and goes in and out when he wants, so no litter box is or was ever in the house. He sleeps in the house in our bedroom, as does both of our elder dogs.20230612_100054.jpg20230612_095928.jpg

There are no snakes in Ireland in part because they are an island, and the climate does not support their survival.

And they do have rodent problems.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/iri...n=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Keep looking Bill. You'll get there eventually.
What am I looking for? I know I have no use for snakes. I know if every last one outside of zoos was eliminated life would go on. The sun would still rise each morning and we would be just fine. The same can be said for cats but I am not in favor of extermination of all cats. Some folks love them and take care of them. Those who do not are an issue.

thanks -

we were working on ranch project couple weeks ago, builder almost stepped on a snake in grass. i came with shovel in hand, mr Brutus... ready to... but could tell a rat snake or garter. so let it go. couple days later was down by lower tank, front pasture... and saw same. pretty sure same snake. had move about 1500' from first siting.

was mowing month or so ago, and as i came back across area mowed, there was a sudden movement. and a copperhead made a mad dash to some rocks. i got off and got mr Brutus, but he had made a good escape.

don't really like to kill harmless snakes. but when sighted suddenly the fight is on. week or so ago reached for a log of mesquite, on pallet. noticed some movement. a snake. we battled and it got caught in square of 1/2" welded wire mesh. my weapon was a picker grabber... sadly, it did not end well for the snake. 3 days later, was gone from fence line post i put it up on. food!

waste not, want not!

Back