Snake ID Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did let the mice loose in with the snake, but they didn't last very long.
In with the snake? Really! What happened to fair chase in the argument for the balance of life? :ices_rofl: Turn them both out and let the victor be crowned.,

@Bill G you may appreciate this story... My mom recounted a trip we took as children to a nature center, zoo, or similar locale. Unbeknownst to her an "interpreter", as they are referred to now, had walked up behind her with a snake around her neck. When my mom turned around she screamed - in part because she was startled and also due to the fact she did not like snakes. The worker exclaimed that she was going to make her children afraid of snakes. My mom's response: "GOOD!"

We have a few different kinds of venomous snakes in WI. I do not have a particularly adverse reaction to them but many eons ago I was nailed by a diamond back out west. I do not wish to repeat that. I have not run into any Corals but have had my share of Timber rattlers over the years they may or may not get a pass depending on the situation.

Wow so many opinions. I had no idea anyone felt that way about snakes that they would take a simple question and turn it into a 6 page 107 replies thread.
I'm not scared of snakes nor do I have a phobia about them. However I don't need or want any snakes striking at me from under a wood pile while I am working. I would rather keep my chicken safe and my nerves intact by just getting rid of any snake on my property.
I never see these black snakes around here so it was a new one on me. It reminds me of those black snakes I use to see when I worked for a tree company in Maryland some 15+ years ago.
Let the arguing continue. As you were.

Well we will need to respectfully agree to disagree. If you do not kill rodents outside the home then I guess you see them as beneficial so why not in the house. If snakes are beneficial in the woods why not in the house?. Why does their location matter, a benefit is a benefit. If snakes are so good and rodents are so good then they should be buddies. A rodent in the house is just like a rodent in the woods, trying to make a living The snake lovers talk about them killing rodents so why not keep a dozen sankes in the house?
Because wildlife is suppose to be outdoors . Mice do no damage in the field but the do damage a house . Snakes in the house would eventually leave anyway as there is no food for them in the house most times they just wander in. I’ve killed raccoons who kept building a den under my deck and in the wall of the house doesn’t mean I kill everyone I see . When something is doing no harm no need to kill them all off as you put it .

A few years back a friend at his cabin called wanting to know what would cause a buzzing sound every time they got by the fridge. - Timber Rattler enjoying the warmth of the compressor - things got a bit exciting till it met its demise.

A few years back a friend at his cabin called wanting to know what would cause a buzzing sound every time they got by the fridge. - Timber Rattler enjoying the warmth of the compressor - things got a bit exciting till it met its demise.
No venomous snakes in the house!!!
I don't go into their homes and they aren't welcome in mine.
The Doctor father of a girl I went to school with kept a basement full in cages as pets. EVERYTHING WENT ALONG FINE UNTIL THE DAY IT DIDN'T!!! Screw that!

Mike

In Australia we have some pretty deadly snakes, very few people die from them though. Feral and pet cats on the other hand cause a huge issue for the native wildlife. As an island we have a lot of “issues” from introduced species, I’ve never heard of a snake on that list

"Bullfrog? thats a funny name!I'd have called it a chazzwaller!"

Because wildlife is suppose to be outdoors . Mice do no damage in the field but the do damage a house . Snakes in the house would eventually leave anyway as there is no food for them in the house most times they just wander in. I’ve killed raccoons who kept building a den under my deck and in the wall of the house doesn’t mean I kill everyone I see . When something is doing no harm no need to kill them all off as you put it .
With all due respect if your statement of ......"Mice do no damage in the field" is true (not agreeing nor disagreeing) then why do we need snakes to control mice? You say they do no damage in the field thus no need to control them. The control of rodents(mice) is what snake lovers based their argument to save them on. I respectfully disagree with their basis.

I had a rattler that liked living under /inside my outhouse at a former place. Good thing I don't often poop after 9am.

A rattler did kill one of my cats in my garden. That was a horrible day, but she wasn't responsive after a minute and dead in five or less. I watched the life fade from her eyes while holding her and telling how her much I loved her. But the rattler was either taken by surprise or defending itself from her. Thus is life.

Yet folks kill them on sight.......

Which is also crazy. They hiss and can act scary, but don't like humans at all. They're pretty funny creatures, having had them in my compost and watched them up fruit trees.

My grandfather used to eat them occasionally as a kid, and squirrel, and rattlesnake, and hog-brain, etc....

No venomous snakes in the house!!!
I don't go into their homes and they aren't welcome in mine.
The Doctor father of a girl I went to school with kept a basement full in cages as pets. EVERYTHING WENT ALONG FINE UNTIL THE DAY IT DIDN'T!!! Screw that!

Mike
According to some on the ole interweb that is why there are Pythons and Boa's in the southeast heading to New York.....Yes that was actually broadcast on a national news program.

Back