Snap or carabiners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futbalfantic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
For a flip line? Why?

Second note, why no screw gates for life lines

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use snaps on the end I clip and unclip - I like the ones that take the extra step to open (slide piece down, push in back, open---as opposed to push back and open). Because the closed eye of the snap keeps the spliced eye of the lanyard in place nicely.

The end with the adjuster has a carabiner because the closed eye of a snap would not go through the ART positioner.

Screw gates pose the risk of slowly un-locking through rubbing or vibration. ANSI says only triple locking for life support. I use snap for flip line just cause I'm used to it.

Snaps, they are quicker. You can one hand it pretty easy, where as a biner, although can be done, sometimes ya gotta use 2. I have biners on my Grillion as it has fixed eyes on the line. I keep debating on cutting them off and tying in snaps. Most of the time it just sits in the truck and I grab my 2n1. Another thought against screw gates is that they if loaded against the gate, if the line is run through it and against the lock, it can unscrew. I have never had this happen and use screw gates on some rigging stuff. But only use triples for life support. Not saying that I wouldn't use a nice screw gate again. Used them for years with no problems as so many others have as well. Freak accidents do happen, so switching over to 3locks is just a force multiplier for your safety. I am sure you know this but just in case, use the aluminum ones. I have some steel ones and oh man! They are heavy!

I use carabiners on the components of my split tail and hitchclimber pulley set up because that is what they are designed to use also even with a traditional blakes set up ill use a biner because it slides on the bridge of my saddle better. I use snaps on my flipline because thats what it came with but im going to switch to a rock O carabiner with the removable lanyard pin. Doin this because i can get replacement lanyards for cheaper and not have a pile of snaps from old lanyards hanging around. I am able to manipulate the rock exotica carabiners one handed because they are a pull down and twist instead of a push up and twist.

Biners are a pain in comparison to a snap when clipping and unclipping. I LIKE the weight of a steel snap on the free end of my flipline as I can flip it around the trunk much easier. Just watch your teeth! I have biners on the adjuster side of my flip lines, but they never come off while I'm in the tree. I have a bunch of locking snaps and use the steel ones for light to medium rigging as well.

the reason you shouldn't use screw gate biners is because you will forget to lock them. a running rope can undo a triple lock and screw biner the same. the triple lock is auto locking. that's all.

the reason you shouldn't use screw gate biners is because you will forget to lock them. a running rope can undo a triple lock and screw biner the same. the triple lock is auto locking. that's all.
Yes and no. A triple lock is MUCH less likely to be opened by a running rope and it is impossible to vibrate one open. Not so with screw gates.

I was thinking of using a screw for permanent attachments. Like my lanyard adjuster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Screw gates pose the risk of slowly un-locking through rubbing or vibration. ANSI says only triple locking for life support. I use snap for flip line just cause I'm used to it.

I have never had a snap come loose. I did catch my Petzl "William" triple lock opening up on me once. I caught it before anything bad happened, but it was a bit unnerving.

It was just the right combination of rope sliding past the screw-lock, enough pressure to give it friction, and just the right direction. The gate popped open, and it was my only attachment to the climbing line. Even triple action 'biners can fail. I suspect the ball-locks are much safer, but I literally cannot open them.

Wow, that I would have not believed, that make sense tho. I suppose, in the "perfect storm" anything is possible. That's where situational awareness comes into play. Gotta watch everything going on, all at the same time. I could see where that would make the nerves go wild. One thing tho for u younger guys, every time I get ready to cut, right before I start my saw, I stop and check all links. Make sure they are laying right and make sure that they are locked, no matter the type.

I use carabiners on the components of my split tail and hitchclimber pulley set up because that is what they are designed to use also even with a traditional blakes set up ill use a biner because it slides on the bridge of my saddle better. I use snaps on my flipline because thats what it came with but im going to switch to a rock O carabiner with the removable lanyard pin. Doin this because i can get replacement lanyards for cheaper and not have a pile of snaps from old lanyards hanging around. I am able to manipulate the rock exotica carabiners one handed because they are a pull down and twist instead of a push up and twist.
Your "sig" really should read, "a BAD day in the tree is better than a GOOD day on the ground". :)

I have used screw gates on zip line cables so much they wore groves in the metal and never in over 50 years have had one open up. Theoretically, I can see how it could happen but have never seen it.

I have used screw gates on zip line cables so much they wore groves in the metal and never in over 50 years have had one open up. Theoretically, I can see how it could happen but have never seen it.

Using biners on a zip line cable is not anything like using them on your climbing rig, crowded together with other biners and multiple ropes, both rising and falling in the same area. Unless I am mistaken, a biner riding a zip line is only under load for a very short while. Things are a lot different when that biner must hold in varying conditions for several hours of climbing.

I switched over to all carabiners several years ago. Those big heavy steel clips are just added weight. I use a i2i for adjusting my lanyard and a steel biner to secure it to my saddle,everything else is alum. Biners.
I saw a guy fall maybe 80 feet when he tried to reppel with a screw gate carabiner and the rope unscrewed it and popped out.
I am going to have some lanyards spliced with those alum snap carabiners on the end. The best of both worlds.

Back