Snow in the south!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember one morning back in the 70's, while driving a school bus, when it was 51 degrees below zero and none of the buses would start. I ain't never complaining again ( unless it hits -52).

HAH! the schools here in the upstate of SC are already closed> I love snow in the south..

I remember one morning back in the 70's, while driving a school bus, when it was 51 degrees below zero and none of the buses would start. I ain't never complaining again ( unless it hits -52).

Don't recall exactly, 76 maybe? I was up there your part of the whirrled, working a construction job staying at a country inn. Loggers and construction guys there. One of those wicked cold nights like you are talking about OMG negative something. you know, square flat tires when you go out in the morning, your breath instantly freezes to your face...., in the morning, no ones car or truck started..except mine, 62 valiant with the slant six, a hundred buck special.... Got some guys jumped, they jumped others, etc.

51 below I don't know if I ever saw that, do know 30 something below though...be funny if we are remembering the same night though!

A log truck tip is to tie a bag of salt to each side mirror or whatever will hold it and poke a hole in the bottom of the bag to dribble salt on the road. Then I imagine you'd want to wash your truck as soon as you can.

got my time machine finished up..went back..it's Pleistocene world, Ice Age now!

Looks like some wolves, a primitive hominid, female, some snow leopards and looks to be an altar or something, I'll call it Hayhenge...

Attachments

• IMG_20140211_111446.jpg
    IMG_20140211_111446.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20140211_111619.jpg
    IMG_20140211_111619.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20140211_111805.jpg
    IMG_20140211_111805.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20140211_111931.jpg
    IMG_20140211_111931.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20140211_112034.jpg
    IMG_20140211_112034.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 21
Gott'a feel sorry for those people. Nothing worse than trying to drive on ice if you've never did it before. I go out and fill the OWB when it's -25 below but I'm dressed for it. Some of those ices storms down south can be real nasty for those who live there.

Single digits cold here, ice everywhere. People stuck and stranded all over. We only got one to three inches, but it froze to glare ice.
Nooze

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/29/us/winter-weather/

Like they said in the article, it doesn't matter what ya got, you ain't driving on ice with regular tires and no chains.

What's happening now is rain. It's been raining for a day and a half. Now with the water all over the freeze is going to hit us. Where I live we won't see snow, but ice out the back door we'll see. I hate that stuff.

Gott'a feel sorry for those people. Nothing worse than trying to drive on ice if you've never did it before. I go out and fill the OWB when it's -25 below but I'm dressed for it. Some of those ices storms down south can be real nasty for those who live there.

Here's our chance at fortune! Open a camp for ice driving. Plow out some city streets on a lake, get some out-of-work for the winter demo derby cars, and charge a small fortune for an ice driving school. We could even give em a fish fry on the last day of camp!

Quite possibly one of the most fun times I had legally was when I got out of the Army and went to work driving for Schneider. They had a skidpad there at their school, and it's a cool feeling powersliding an 18 wheeler.

From what I've seen on the news of you Yankee's driving on ice, any school y'all have will be a waste in time. We haven't had any 80 car pileup. Just non moving traffic. But thanks for thinking about us. That is sweet of you.

Well, they got way more serious about it! Just saw a county grader go by.

Weather guessers are saying six more inches later, then turning to ice. Most likely they will keep those graders going around the clock now.

Man, we got it easy. Folks over in Europe been getting hammered for weeks now. Lookit this ice storm that about wiped out slovenia a couple weeks ago. (stills and a youtube vid, the vid is unreal ice.) And supposedly it has been ongoing. Listening to a guy talking about it last night (the guy who predicted a mini ice age years ago that was supposed to start happening..about now), he said just huge swathes of the forests there have devastated trees, just all broken up. The wild critters are starving, etc and untold damage to their man made infrastructure.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-of-ice-storm-in-slovenia-2014-2

Anyway, supposed to get worse tonight here, who knows....except..wood heat rules!

Back