(so-called) Shoulder Season 'round here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lit a small fire last night around 7:30 or so.... a real small fire, just enough to take the chill off.
Now it's 23 hours later and we still ain't lit one... 70° in the house.
Likely won't start one until morning now... and tomorrow is supposed to be warmer than to day‼
Holy crap... the 10-day forecast is all 30s (a couple lows in the high 20s), maybe even a couple days reaching into the low 40s.
Heck... if this keeps up, I could be all done burning by April‼

I'll take it.

We could be looking at record early ice out dates too if it warms up in March. We never really put on much ice after Christmas and only had about two weeks of cold temps.

i doubt there will be much of a mud season around here (New England)...aint been enough snow, and the ground isn't frozen all that deep...
though there will be a hell of a brush fire season...everything is super dry :blob2:

i doubt there will be much of a mud season around here (New England)...aint been enough snow, and the ground isn't frozen all that deep...
though there will be a hell of a brush fire season...everything is super dry :blob2:
When I was up in NY last week I talked to a guy when does road construction. He said the frost line is less than a foot down, making winter work very tough for them.

Despite record cold, the swamp I was cutting in last week opened up the first day it rained. I couldn't believe it being there were several subzero nights in a row prior to that.

The river is flowing free here.
We have rivers north of Duluth that never froze solid this year.

In the last 7 years we have had two record breaking early ice outs, a second latest ice out, and another late ice out that fell in the top 10. Go figure! I would be very surprised if we don't challenge early ice out this year.

Still freezing up nights with highs in mid/hi 40s. Got another reminder this morning on my way out to the woodopile. level path leadsout to a slope, due to traffic over it, the path and sloping portion are bare ground. Out about 9am and almost busted my azz slipping on that slimy layer of thawed out mud...again. Been that way almost all Feb and I keep forgetting.

Harry K

My yard is a mud hole. Got skidloader out and smoothed out some when it cools down and firms up. But, some frost in ground so the moisture just sits on top of the frost and don't dry up. Sucks. Been letting the propane furnace run.

This has been a funny winter for sure. I thought I'd be outside this past week bucking up some of my logs but we had a little rain and once the snow melted off, the area turned to a slick mud on top with frozen ground below so it's been a catch 22 out there for now. The only good thing is I've been burning a lot of my junk wood for heat, the bad part is I have a second chest type freezer in the pole barn that does not work so I have it packed with meat and ice until next week and if these temps keep up the way they are I'll be making a lot of beef sticks along with some ham and turkey jerky...

Latest posts

Back