Checking out a new firewood site this morning/updates on the stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just returned from looking at the site. Not much there. He had a couple Walnut cut and a sawmill slab them up. Maybe a cord, cord and a half. Two if I really scrounge hard. Lots of slab wood from the saw mill. Not too interested in that as it is really thin. Might make some good kindling however. I offered the guy $20 a cord. He said Ok. The nice thing is it is all within tossing distance of where I will park truck and trailer so no hauling at all. Better than nothing. His stuff gets cleaned up, I get some firewood and it's about an 18 minute drive from my house. He has another three acres of low land woods I will check out and see if there is any dead ash available but from the looks accessibility is zero. It would have to be frozen and a trail cut through it. Not really worth it in my book. There is one cherry mixed in with the walnut. Walnut seems to be one of those woods people don't really care to burn. Never hear much about it. I did a little research and the BTU output is OK. I can mix it in with other stuff. I don't see much reason to pass it up. I'm not a wood snob. Of course I would be if the good stuff was readily available. I still have a stack of White Elm rounds that need to be split from 2 years ago. That stuff is a bear!
When I was burning wood for heat, I burned a lot of walnut. It’s is readily available and one of the harder woods I could get for free. It gives off good heat and splits easy. It’s so pretty I always felt bad burning it.

Responded to an add for firewood. You cut you haul type deal.
Sounds like maybe the guy had some logging done and is selling tops. He said it was mostly walnut with some cherry. Wants $10 a cord. I asked him if he meant a full cord? He says you tell me what it's worth. Well it aint worth nothing laying there. Once it's cut split and stacked and seasoned for a year or so then it's worth something. LOL
Meeting him this morning to check it out. I'm hoping he has a nice little wood lot with as bunch of tops and if I'm lucky a bunch of dead ash that I can buy off him as well. I get nervous when my wood pile is down to 2 years.

So far my "new" woodstove had done a great job of heating the entire house. The high temps have been hanging in the 20s and low 30s for some time now so I was able to get a real good feel of how the season will be. That is average temps here in my area. A few cold and warm spells mixed in.

I have been able to pack the stove full with 6 or 7 splits before I leave for work (5am) and when I get home (4:30pm) the house is still high 60s or low 70 depending on the day. With coals left to restart. Total max splits burnt in a day so far is around 15-20 and that's if I'm home all day. Wood heat is amazing. Now 70 degrees just feels a little chilly.

Going to pop the top off the chimney and do a clean out to see how the flue is reacting to my burning habits. I want to see if having that third insulating pipe is doing what I hoped it would by keeping the flue temps warmer when the fuel begins to run out. I try to keep the chimney from smoking as much as possible but I don't need full burn when the house is 70 degrees. I try to choke it down a little to conserve the fuel but therein lies the battle of smoky chimney and
creosote build up.
View attachment 320290

Reading the your report of temps in the 20's and 30's already makes me glad I live in the south. We have a cool front coming in next weekend that promises lows down in the mid 60's. Was in the upper 80's today. :havingarest:

Latest posts

Back