So close and yet so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's a tease I have been checking out for days now. The other day they butted this log. It's just sitting there. Private arborist co. take care of the trees in this park, I've seen them out there. The trees are exceptionally cared for here. I am lucky to live next door to it. Even if I could get somebody(?) to let me have this stuff it would be difficult to get my truck over here ot haul it out.:monkey:
glads-12-7-06004.jpg

Oh ya, almost forgot to mention it's a big old locust. How many cords do you think that would be?

Adrpk said:
Even if I could get somebody(?) to let me have this stuff it would be difficult to get my truck over here ot haul it out.:monkey:

Maybe that's why the other company left it there for later, access issues.

Problem is you could be dobbed in for stealing if ya just cut bits off and take it ... maybe ring the company and see what they're up to?

Adrpk said:
Here's a tease I have been checking out for days now. The other day they butted this log. It's just sitting there. Private arborist co. take care of the trees in this park, I've seen them out there. The trees are exceptionally cared for here. I am lucky to live next door to it. Even if I could get somebody(?) to let me have this stuff it would be difficult to get my truck over here ot haul it out

Do you have wheelbarrow? Maybe it would be possible to get it into chunks that you could wheel it out of there. The company might be happy to have you take it.

You guys are all right. I will explore over there again today. It's to cold to go landscaping today.:laugh: I could hop the fence and throw some of those smaller chunks over and load thim in my 4 runner. The cops who are there, all the time, would really get a kick out of that.:D But what I really want to do is go in there with the 066 and help myself to it. That would get me some jail time. :taped: But to get all that great wood I would need to bring the truck into the city. That is an expensive ordeal, tolls, gas, parking(?). So to make it work I would have to arrange a deal with the parks people, probably imposible, to have it for myself. But none the less I will go ask today and maybe I can get it. It's all red tape. :ices_rofl:

Well, well, well, I got it. I went over there and as easy as pie they said, yes you sure can have it. They said the "logger" couldn't cut throught it with his "weak" or "rusty" chainsaw, swear to G.
Sooo, it looks like the 066 comes to the big city. Now, anybody on to whether my saw will cut through that monster. It's probably really dead hardened wood. The tree was alive, but was severely topped. Only a few shoots sticking out of it. There are pics of it standing on here somewhere which I will look for and post next. Anyway look for the 066 comes to NYC thread.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

It's HARD but the 066 will conquer it, just keep it out of the dirt.

standing

Here's a pic of the tree standing. I stand corrected about the shoots. Looks like it was a full and beautiful tree. It will be missed by those who won't be getting warm from the wood it produced. I hope the logger dosen't come back with a sharp chainsaw before I do. If you go to the thread link below you will see the trees I had mixed up with it.

citytrees015.jpg

Ekka, sorry I never got back to you in this thread but I couldn't get a closer picture of the tree. I don't think they were topped for any other reason then they lost there tops to wind or ice and they where left because nobody finsihed them off.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=35408&highlight=city+trees

Is that Riverside Park?
I'm two hours from the City.
It'd be a hoot to come down there and give you a hand.
A couple wood-kooks lose in the City with chainsaws!
When are you doing it?

Jim

Tomkins Square

Ya, baby looks like a PARTY!:chainsaw: I can just see it now AB members all over the friggin' park chainsawing like, OK, maybe it would really a controled situation.
But really would love some help. If too many people don't show up you all can help take some of the wood, too. I can only get so much in my truck.
Looks like Friday next week or Monday after next weekend for me. PM with a #.

Bob

Weekdays are tough for me. I'll be down next Saturday all day but will have family (from Canada) in tow. Coming in for the Giants game next Sunday too. Don't suppose it'll still be there New Year's weekend?

It's posible. I'll let you know. PM me a # I''l try to call when I am going to do it. Anybody else. I might some protection from the girls going wild from the manly display of chips flying. Not to mention the selection of bars. :popcorn:

Longhorn

Found out today from this guy.
citytrees009.jpg

It's a no go on removing wood from the city due to the longhorn beetle. They got big fines if you try. Not interested in transferring any beetles to my place upstate anyway. He told me the tree was left there for the squirrels. So this story has a happy ending.

They were mulching up Xmas trees there. Giving away free bags to help kart it away. I got a black garbage full ot it now smelling up my apartment. Balsam city, oh ya!

just curious.....what does wood go for in NYC proper?

i know some people have fire places in the apts or condos. i figure it's at premium price if someone wanted any kind of fire wood, even for a "show" fire.

on second thought, where the hell would they store the wood?

just curious.....what does wood go for in NYC proper?

i know some people have fire places in the apts or condos. i figure it's at premium price if someone wanted any kind of fire wood, even for a "show" fire.

on second thought, where the hell would they store the wood?

NY is a funny place.:hmm3grin2orange: You can pay in a big way if you want but also if you look past your nose you can do better than in the real world. Most bodega's (deli's) sell those small bundles of wood, probably like $5. I do have a fire place in my apartment which wouldn't be impossible to fix. (except possibly for the management of the building, numbskull's)
fireplace001.jpg

And if I did fix it I would make room for a cord because I love fires. It isn't that unusual for people to have fire places, I can smell wood burning all the time in my neighborhood.

Back