So I picked up this old Dolmar, what the hell is it exactly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SD`s were one of the best in class of their time, my dad and I ran them from 1985 to around 1990, he had a 116 originally and I had a 120 Super, we both moved up to Super injected saws in 1987, still have them and they still run great. Mark, yours looks like a keeper, tough as nails and easy starting saws, a tad heavy by todays standards but we loved them dearly in the late 80`s.

So it seems so far that this is a 120si that someone must have swapped some covers on. I'm ok with that.

I did take it to the woodpile today and I have to say its a strong runner. Started up just fine but I had a bit of trouble tuning it in. Seems the carb grommet don't quite line up perfect with the adjusting screws and you cannot see whats going on with it. Once I took the cover and the air filter off to see what was going on, I got it tuned in.

I ran about a full tank through it, enough to get a good feel of it and whats what. It needs a bigger/taller spike to keep the muffler off the log when bucking, something like the stock spikes on my 7900 would be good enough. I'm also scratching my head at the the use of the small K095 bar mount, it really limits the bar options for it being a 68cc saw.

After I cleaned it up the first time, I dry weighed it and its just right at 15lbs PHO. Nothing to brag about or to complain about.

I know how the Dolmar guys always praised this model, but I also know how things around here sometimes take on a life of there own. I have to say this one lives up to its billing
I run a 24" on mine. You can get up to 32" on some old bars. How sent me a template from his and I had some spikes rough cut and I finished. Lee may have gotten some spikes in a box I sent him.
cffdc6c7763e82625a3494dcd9f16651.jpg
5c15d2f76c983e9b396c1f878054d3fe.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SD`s were one of the best in class of their time, my dad and I ran them from 1985 to around 1990, he had a 116 originally and I had a 120 Super, we both moved up to Super injected saws in 1987, still have them and they still run great. Mark, yours looks like a keeper, tough as nails and easy starting saws, a tad heavy by todays standards but we loved them dearly in the late 80`s.

Jerry, what do you mean by "Super Injected Saws" Was that a model? Everyone says there either Supers or si saw models?

In the 80's around here, Sachs Dolmars were a myth. Heard tales of them but never ever seen one. I did hear a couple years ago that there was a guy about 30 miles from here that did sell them, but must not have sold many. Since I found this one in the local area, I wondered if it might have came from there.

As for a keeper? Maybe, maybe not, I doubt I ever use it since it weighs exactly the same as my Dolmar 7900 heated handle saw. I also never use a 24" saw for my own firewood cutting, I use a 20 a lot even if I have to make a second back cut I find the 20" easier to keep out of the dirt. If I need bigger then that I skip the 24 and go to the 28" on the 7900. I have other saws I would rather use with a 20" bar then this I think.

I run a 24" on mine. You can get up to 32" on some old bars. How sent me a template from his and I had some spikes rough cut and I finished. Lee may have gotten some spikes in a box I sent him.
cffdc6c7763e82625a3494dcd9f16651.jpg
5c15d2f76c983e9b396c1f878054d3fe.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Those look pretty good Keith! I think I would like to see them a little taller though. Didn't you make me some for the Poulan 6000 a few years back? Or maybe forgetful old me just got confused...

I forgot to add, this saw came with a Windsor 24" bar that was shot, bent and worn down past the point of dressing the rails again.

I found I had this small Husky 24" Oregon bar I could use. I took it off my buddies 50cc Solo :ices_rofl:

Musta' been another Keith. I've only seen one 153 in person and never in green. They work ok but the wrap handle brake flag spacer pushes the flag pretty far forward. It hits on large diameter cuts. But as you mentioned I have a 7900 for that!

Musta' been another Keith. I've only seen one 153 in person and never in green. They work ok but the wrap handle brake flag spacer pushes the flag pretty far forward. It hits on large diameter cuts. But as you mentioned I have a 7900 for that!

Sorry I said I get confused and might add I forget stuff. :laugh:

I wouldn't go out of my way looking for a 152/153 myself. Now a Super 133 is worth finding as well as the 143.

Jerry, what do you mean by "Super Injected Saws" Was that a model? Everyone says there either Supers or si saw models?

In the 80's around here, Sachs Dolmars were a myth. Heard tales of them but never ever seen one. I did hear a couple years ago that there was a guy about 30 miles from here that did sell them, but must not have sold many. Since I found this one in the local area, I wondered if it might have came from there.

As for a keeper? Maybe, maybe not, I doubt I ever use it since it weighs exactly the same as my Dolmar 7900 heated handle saw. I also never use a 24" saw for my own firewood cutting, I use a 20 a lot even if I have to make a second back cut I find the 20" easier to keep out of the dirt. If I need bigger then that I skip the 24 and go to the 28" on the 7900. I have other saws I would rather use with a 20" bar then this I think.

Well Mark, around here at least the si saws were referred to as super injected saws due to the injector choke carbs used on them. I have them on 115`s, 116`s and 120`s, our dealer at the time also called them super injected models. Maybe uncle Lee can tell us more as he was a SD dealer around that time I believe.

Well Mark, around here at least the si saws were referred to as super injected saws due to the injector choke carbs used on them. I have them on 115`s, 116`s and 120`s, our dealer at the time also called them super injected models. Maybe uncle Lee can tell us more as he was a SD dealer around that time I believe.

Gotcha, I was just double checking to make sure this wasn't a model that wasn't discussed before. I would have been off looking for a 120 Super injected IPL. LOL I understand why you and others would have called them that.

Yes after Lee asked for the serial number I was hoping he would come back by with more info.

I believe you have a 120 Super that was converted over to the injection carb.

Can you get a picture of the RH crankcase / bar pad area?

Mark, Smith Motor Service in Winamac sold a ton of them, ( I think about 1982 or so when they came in. I remember an S.D. rep came and held a seminar showing them off and Smith took them on then. He added Stihl in about 1989 and had his biggest saw sales ever for a year. I worked a couple years for him then. The 2 biggest tree services bought some Stihls but they still seemed to prefer the Sachs Dolmars until they went out. The barber shop here in Medaryville also became an SD dealer during that time period and sold quite a few here local. Pretty sure Heinhold and Feller in LaCrosse had them at least 2 or 3 years or more also. For some reason I think Smith Farm Store had them a while to, but may be I dreamed it.

I believe you have a 120 Super that was converted over to the injection carb.

Can you get a picture of the RH crankcase / bar pad area?

That makes some sense from the way the paint on the recoil matches the case. Would the top cover have to be changed over to convert to the injector carb or just the decal ?

I can try to picture that area tonight.

Mark, Smith Motor Service in Winamac sold a ton of them, ( I think about 1982 or so when they came in. I remember an S.D. rep came and held a seminar showing them off and Smith took them on then. He added Stihl in about 1989 and had his biggest saw sales ever for a year. I worked a couple years for him then. The 2 biggest tree services bought some Stihls but they still seemed to prefer the Sachs Dolmars until they went out. The barber shop here in Medaryville also became an SD dealer during that time period and sold quite a few here local. Pretty sure Heinhold and Feller in LaCrosse had them at least 2 or 3 years or more also. For some reason I think Smith Farm Store had them a while to, but may be I dreamed it.
John that's interesting stuff. I had heard later about the dealer in Winamac. Back them word of mouth only got so far. Most folks around my town would not have went that direction anyway for most business. They went north or east.

Was Eberhart the barber at that time you mentioned? I wemt there a couple times for a haircut but never seen any chainsaws there. Lol

Next time i see Joe Feller when i go to Valpo I'll ask him if they sold them there. I actually worked there for a short time in 77.

You might have been dreaming about Smith's selling them. We used to go to the Rensselaer store often back then. The other dealer i was told about would have been in Rensselaer.

So it seems so far that this is a 120si that someone must have swapped some covers on. I'm ok with that.

I did take it to the woodpile today and I have to say its a strong runner. Started up just fine but I had a bit of trouble tuning it in. Seems the carb grommet don't quite line up perfect with the adjusting screws and you cannot see whats going on with it. Once I took the cover and the air filter off to see what was going on, I got it tuned in.

I ran about a full tank through it, enough to get a good feel of it and whats what. It needs a bigger/taller spike to keep the muffler off the log when bucking, something like the stock spikes on my 7900 would be good enough

This is also what the stock spikes look like on the SI, more along the lines of what your looking for, I really like them! But they may have only come on the full wrap versions. Not real sure.
D0A71369-18E4-4A73-AA85-F53A4210F9BA.jpeg

Was Eberhart the barber at that time you mentioned? I wemt there a couple times for a haircut but never seen any chainsaws there. Lol
Yes. I think he ordered them as people wanted them. May be he had 1 or 2 to display now and then. I know at least a few people that bought them from him.
I don't know who to ask at Smiths Farm, but I thought they had them with Homelites at the same time.

Yes. I think he ordered them as people wanted them. May be he had 1 or 2 to display now and then. I know at least a few people that bought them from him.
I don't know who to ask at Smiths Farm, but I thought they had them with Homelites at the same time.

Where else could you go get a haircut, order a new chainsaw and hire a auctioneer at the same time?
:ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back