So I went to my Stihl dealer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excess650

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
...to get some RM chains for my 36" bar. I'm not talking about the :censored:Ace Hardware dealer that I've been disgusted with in the past. This one has been a Stihl dealer for many years, but they also sell Kubota tractors and such. Not long ago they were purchased by another longtime Stihl dealer, so now part of a 3-4 location at minimum, and they also sell farm equipment(not JD). I ask the guy about RM and he gives me an odd look:msp_confused:, and I said that I was looking specifically for 3/8 .050" RM for my 36" bar. That stopped him in his tracks. "We don't stock long chains, but we can get anything Stihl makes in 3 days". I asked if he could spin a loop for me, and his reply was "we don't normally do that. We have a few reels left, but once thats gone we won't order more". He went into the back and came out with a partial reel of some kind of green strap RS and said it was all they had in 3/8 .050. The conversation turned to saws and he explained how a MS170 was superior to the box store saws even if they did cost $50 more. He also expounded on the virtues of the 291/311/391, and I asked if they rebuilt saws. "We try to discourage that....price of parts, labor, makes for a big bill." His answer to service is that since Stihl bought Zama its more cost effective to order a new carb than install a rebuild kit.

So if they're pushing disposable saws and don't service what they sell, what sets them apart from the box stores, a :censored:Stihl logo?

Maybe there are no real sawyers in your area and the shotty dealer can get away with it. If he is still in business, he's obviously giving the customer what they want.

...to get some RM chains for my 36" bar. I'm not talking about the :censored:Ace Hardware dealer that I've been disgusted with in the past. This one has been a Stihl dealer for many years, but they also sell Kubota tractors and such. Not long ago they were purchased by another longtime Stihl dealer, so now part of a 3-4 location at minimum, and they also sell farm equipment(not JD). I ask the guy about RM and he gives me an odd look:msp_confused:, and I said that I was looking specifically for 3/8 .050" RM for my 36" bar. That stopped him in his tracks. "We don't stock long chains, but we can get anything Stihl makes in 3 days". I asked if he could spin a loop for me, and his reply was "we don't normally do that. We have a few reels left, but once thats gone we won't order more". He went into the back and came out with a partial reel of some kind of green strap RS and said it was all they had in 3/8 .050. The conversation turned to saws and he explained how a MS170 was superior to the box store saws even if they did cost $50 more. He also expounded on the virtues of the 291/311/391, and I asked if they rebuilt saws. "We try to discourage that....price of parts, labor, makes for a big bill." His answer to service is that since Stihl bought Zama its more cost effective to order a new carb than install a rebuild kit.

So if they're pushing disposable saws and don't service what they sell, what sets them apart from the box stores, a :censored:Stihl logo?

Are you posting about the skip chain with some insane gauge?

Are you posting about the skip chain with some insane gauge?

:censored:NO! I just wanted a 114dl loop of 3/8 x .050 RM (full comp). Outdoor Power Tools | STIHL USA

I've found it to leave as smooth, or nearly as smooth finish as ripping chain on the Alaskan Mill while cutting more quickly. Its just Stihl's semi chisel, yellow strap 3/8 .050. RS dulls more quickly and leaves a rough finish. Skip chain is worse yet!:taped:

I live in an area where lots of folks burn wood for heat, have farms and other moderate sized properties to maintain, and wood is predominately hardwood. That being the case, I expected the dealer would have semi chisel as well as full chisel, but I seriously doubt they know the difference, and obviously don't care. But hey, they're a Stihl dealer!:laugh:

I don't stock any RM chain anymore, I tried stocking RS and RM and couldn't give
the stuff away. Everyone wants " that fast cuttin stuff"

Now I only stock RS in .325 and RS and RSF in 3/8

I don't stock any RM chain anymore, I tried stocking RS and RM and couldn't give
the stuff away. Everyone wants " that fast cuttin stuff"

Now I only stock RS in .325 and RS and RSF in 3/8

"That fast cuttin stuff" only cuts fast while its sharp. The RM stays sharp longer in the wood that I cut.

So all new Stihls are going to have Zama's?

Last edited:
Quess I am lucky to have the family run saw shop that I use. Their front door says service is their bottom line.

heck,my local guys can loop that up for you, why can't they?

Because they don't want to. Which sux. That's bad business, hands down. And it seems they don't know anything about pro saws.

heck,my local guys can loop that up for you, why can't they?

Quit bragging...

"That fast cuttin stuff" only cuts fast while its sharp. The RM stays sharp longer in the wood that I cut.

Yep. Some of the burlers here have switched over to RM or PMN with safety tie straps. One dirty burl can eat through a dozen chisel chains real fast.

The days of "instock dealers" is gone. Dealers only stock what sells. If it hasn't sold in a year (often less) they aren't going to re-order it. If you live in an area with logging operations, demand will be different than suburbia. Either support your local dealer, or order it yourself. If they don't want to service, or stock parts, what is their niche? Disappearing?

There are seven Stihl dealers within 20 mi of my house and only one of them stocks any parts. Anytime I wanted a part for my Stihl, this one dealer always has it in stock.

The other six operate almost like the big box stores. They are either part of a hardware store, Kobota, or John Deere dealer.

These others take a couple weeks to adjust the needles or sharpen a chain and stock NO! parts. If there is anything wrong with your saw more than a filter or spark plug, they want you to buy a new chainsaw. They don't stock PRO saws at all. The service is either done at the main store in another town, or the guy that works on the Stihl items is a part time employee and comes in on Saturdays, after hours, or something?

By God ima gonna make a vote tat AS comes out wit their own saw. Being as though All the big saw dealers are going to cheaper #### and seeing as though we know that, we should. Make our own saw that's as good as the old stihls and huskys...

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Last winter I went to one of three local Stihl dealers (all within 10 miles of my house) and inquired about a carb kit for an 044. The guy behind the counter said they would have to order it and it would be just as cheap to buy a new carb. I asked him what the price was on a carb kit anyways and he said he didn't know. Wasn't in the computer, he'd have to get a book out.

So instead of asking him how the hell did he know it would be the same price for a new carb if he didn't know the price of the kit I just thanked him for his time and walked out the door. Haven't been back.

The second dealer does not do any service on saws at all. They ship them out. I don't like this place either. Any time I stop in (right down the street from where I work) they act as if I'm bothering them.
I don't get it.

The third one, which is where I bought my new saw yesterday, is the better of the three although this is the one that sold me a .325 sprocket for my 3/8 saw and told me Stihl never made an 029 with a 3/8 setup.
Now I am very careful when I go in there. I have learned, thanks to AS, to educate myself before hand and know exactly what I want and now I usually take in an oem part # as well.

I'm just glad i can order of the internet.

The days of "instock dealers" is gone. Dealers only stock what sells. If it hasn't sold in a year (often less) they aren't going to re-order it. If you live in an area with logging operations, demand will be different than suburbia. Either support your local dealer, or order it yourself. If they don't want to service, or stock parts, what is their niche? Disappearing?

I'd rather stock parts that turn 3-6 times a year, if I did business the way AS feels
a dealer should I'd be out of business.

If it doesn't sell in 2-3 years it get returned to the vendor and turned into parts that'll sell.

Parts sitting on the shelf don't make you money, parts going across the counter do.

go back and ask him for 33RM 114DL now that will totally confuse him

Back