So I'm curious, what do you guys do for a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living

I am 42 and work for a farm equipment manufacturer as a welder and weld inspector. I spend weekends helping out on the family farm,hunting,fishing and cutting wood. My grandparents,parents,and I all heat with wood. It keeps the Stihl 041AV,MS260 PRO and the Husq 359 pretty busy.

I am 55 years old. I was in the USAF for 12 years. (B52-G) Clinton downsized the military and I was out on the street. Got my CDL and drove for JB Hunt, then was hauling logs in Boonville NY. Due to a spinal injury my driving ended. Went to school to be a RT (respiratory therapist) But due to my spinal limitations I would never work in a hospital. I move to Texas where the warmer climate was more acceptable to my condition. I now work on all small gas engines sharpen saws, and fill deer feeders during hunting season. I am a volunteer fireman.I am unable to afford all the things than many others but I still get outside and run my saws.Am now facing an MRI due to further spinal complications. Getting older but still putting up a good fight, Ken

attachment.php

53 years old. Retired just a month ago after 30yrs with a Bay Area City. 20 years as a heavy equipment mechanic and 10 years as a waste water plant operator. Now, after shoulder surgery, my rehab begins so I can start shooting registered skeet again in a few months. I asked my physical therapist if starting and using my new Snellerized Echo would be good exercise. He told me not yet. I thought torture was illegal!

35, have finally worked my way to the "middle management" of an auto parts chain and I don't burn wood...:dizzy:

Until April 1, I am what the loggers call, a forester. I'm sure that sometimes, there are bad words in front of Forester.

Google Buzz Martin, Fire Danger, and you'll hear their version of what I do. I go out and see what they're doing and what they've done or wrought. It can be very interesting. Like when a gypo notices his epi pen has expired and his mission for the day is to get me to stab it into me so it won't get wasted. Or tip toeing through the "landmines" left by the alcoholic chaser. :eek:

Right now there is no logging cuz it is the season to allow the spotted owls time to romance. So, instead, I'm out there MAKING NOISE, with Twinkle or the Barbie Saw cleaning the blowdown trees out of the roads. There are lots and lots of trees to cut out.

I'm hoping to be retired this time next week. :blob2: I started out on a tree planting crew back in 76...that dates me. Brown side down, green side up. It has been an adventure, and I've met some great characters. A foot has gone bad and I can't move very fast down in the brush. So time to go.

By the way, it isn't sunny all the time like they show on Axmen!

I'm a PILOT LP cuts wood and I pile it!!!!HA HA.
54 year old broke down worthless ole coot.
I have built houses, laid block and brick, homes from the ground up. Have been a farmer, a truckdriver (for 17 years) and built trucks for 15yrs. Shoveled dirt and s%%t, done concrete work, run heavy equipment If it's got tracks or tires I can run it.

Do all kinds of metal from welding and fab. to running a mill and turning on a lathe, surface grinding and everything in between.

Cut logs firewood rite of ways anything todo with saws.

Have also worked on cars and trucks and big trucks and grading stuff. I'm a self taught gun smith, the local mr. fix it. I love working on saws everything from sharpening chains to full rebuilds. So I'm the classic jacka%% of all trades and master of none but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Right now after 2 failed back surgeries I can't put my on socks on without help some days. Thus the broke down ole coot.
Joe

Semi working retired as a generic farmhand, and come November I'll start getting my seasoned citizen discount at the local supermarket.... the operation where I live is primarily poultry broiler houses, but I work the other side of the farm where it is a lot more fun and I can be outside most of the time. Run fencelines with the tractor and saw, wrangle some beefers, do the hay, fix some equipment and generally sneak off and enjoy nature and get paid just a little scratch to do it. I take care of rescue dogs and cats, and after those guys, what is left over goes to small engine tinkering, and soon, my next truck, whatever it turns out to be.

I guess my life is pretty simple after reading about all y'alls. I was born into, and probably alway will be a farmer.

I'll be 31 yrs old come next month. My family owns a 250 acre farm; where we raise around 75-100 commercial cattle. Thats my side job.

My full-time employment is on my friends family's (which is like my second family) Angus farm. We mostly build fence, make hay, and take care of the 1200 registered angus herd. I never get any spare time except Sundays, which I still have to do some work even then. I long for a little free time but between my job and taking care of my own farm, theres none to be had.

I hope to one day have my own fence building business and then I'll be making alot better money and will also be able to have more time off. I still would'nt have it any other way though. Farming is all that I know.
I also fell trees for a few years for a local logging crew. Had a blast traveling with the gang but my daddy needed me as he was getting in bad shape and could'nt handle the farming chores.
Any chance I get, I go and cut wood. I love to do it.
0305111357.jpg

This is what I was doing in december.
1204101255.jpg

And building fence all summer.
100_1540.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 47 years young and still going, fortunate to have been blessed with good health!

Born and raised in the woods of Idaho until I turned 20. Joined the Navy to ride submarines for 24 years and retired. Now live in Virginia and am in federal service for the Navy teaching young sailors how to use the newest navigation systems in the world. I travel from ship to ship, conference to briefing and occasionally get home to my family. When I'm away from home YOU HERE are my family on lonely nights, reading all the ^*(&^@#$ and having a laugh!

Like the rest of you, fix'n saws passes the time when I'm not hunting, fishing or cuttin' wood or my favorite.......:cheers::givebeer:

I'm 33, joined U.S.M.C. at 17 and served four years. Got out and have been an electrician ever since. Got a 5 month old son and a wife that puts up with my wheeling and dealing. Trying to figure out how to use my saws more at work. Stihl does make a gas powered hole hawg!

I'm 28 - Work in an office as an Operations Manager at an anti-corrosion (VCI) packaging manufacturer. We make those little brown sheets of paper y'all see in the brake pad boxes and wonder what they're doing in there. We do more than just paper though. I worked in the converting warehouse running a rewinder since high school prior to my cushy desk job. Dont tell my boss, but I really dont care being in that office!

When I grow up? Hmmm, railroad engineer? It'd be an awesome way to see the country.

I'm 29, Diesel mechanic at a Freightliner dealership. I cut wood to feed my central boiler that heats my house and garage.

I support my bad habits by transporting commercial explosives.Been at it 22 years and haven't got blown up yet.Got the chainsaw bug 3 years ago when Momma and I bought 12 acres and started heating with wood.Started off with a Shindaiwa 415 and now have about a dozen firewood saws and several projects. D.Brown

I'm quickly closing in on 68 years of age . Raised up farming Alfalfa, Cotton, and Cattle. Last heart attack nearly put me under. Some years back the Doc said I had less than 6 months to live. My old 1972 Pioneer Chainsaw was too much a part of me to throw away, and became a project which led me here. Recovery found me where I am right now, enjoying the company of you forum members. As I regained health, my activities have increased. I went from walking to bicycling and gardening. One hobby led to another. I can't get enough of life now. God gave me a second chance, and I hold it dearly. I attend a lively little church regularly, and love it.

Also a broke down old coot!
Raised on a farm, done farming on the side about all my life.
Uncle Sam paid for my college, gave him four years back active duty, got to see the world, Honduras, Germany, Japan, France, Korea, Panama, got to go to Air Assault, Airborne and Ranger schools
Got off active duty and spent 16 years in the reserves.
Started working for Wal-Mart when I got out, was just trying to figure out what I wanted to do, wound up staying buying sporting goods for many years, then becoming a divisional inventory director.
I got fed up with what Wal-Mart was doing to Main Street USA and just walked out one day after 18 years. Worked five years as the National EVP of Sales/Product development for Outdoor Rec/Winchester.
Diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disorder MCTD that puts you in the groud within in 8-10 years, it's been about 3-4 we think, down to about 45% kidney function/26% of the brain is showing bad scar tissue, muscles starting to weaken, it all good though, it was God's way of showing me what was important in life---family not material things. Love to hunt and fish,anything outdoors.
Retired, Hobby Farming, manage our family's firewood business, basically run by my two soon to be college age sons and their two to three hired hands depending on need.
AS thankfully gives me something occupy the mind on the days I don't feel like moving. it's a great bunch of people.

Im 30 and been getting a pay check for turning wrenches for the last 14 years, the last 6 have been in my own shop.

I'm 31 and a network administrator in the Information Technology department for a large school district. I've been there since graduating tech school and was hired on as an intern. Working on my 11th year there. I'm a desk jockey all week so I do tree work and fix/collect saws in my spare time.

Hi, My name is Johnnie and I am a alcoholic... What... Oh... Wrong group... oops....

I am now 29 but I started out at age 17 as a automotive mechanic. I became ASE Master Certified and got my VA state inspection license by age 21. Opened my own mobile mechanic shop at age 22 and gave that up after I broke my back at age 24. Pulled a one month sentence as a telemarketer for ATT, that is honestly the worst job I have ever had. Went to working the overnight shifts at a gas station until I worked my way up to store manager, stuck with that until I rolled my truck in August 2009. Moved on to Wal-Mart where I started as the assembler where I assembled the bikes, grills, patio furniture, mowers and etc. At the end of January I moved over to the produce department, though I spent the whole month of February working on a remodel crew moving Wal-Mart's merchandise around. I will hopefully be moving into the management training program sometime this August which will get me in as a department manager by the end of the year. I am a "jack of many trades". I work on anything with a engine, and some things without. I have built several computer systems. I have remodeled a house and helped build one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back