So I'm curious, what do you guys do for a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be 31 on Monday, and I am working on 6 years as a full time firefigher/emt. In that time I worked part time for a bicycle shop selling and assembling, worked out great because I could not afford to build the bikes I have paying full retail. Eventually they let me go due to the economy, and for now I am working part time with a snake breeder, helping feed and car for about 1000 snakes. And I am looking for a part time job with a tree service to go with the fire dept. and want to learn to be a climber. I live in Florida, so its not cold enough to need to heat with wood and I dont have any trees that coundnt be mistaken for a large bush. But a little over two years ago me and the wife found out we were having twins, and I had to find a different hobby. I was having to drive about 2hrs one way to go mtnbiking so to keep me occupied I bought a Husky 55 with a toasted piston. Destroyed the whole top end learning how to rebuild it, and in that time I got my 044, found this place started reading and finely go both of them rebuilt and running. Shortly after I joined here and have way more saws that what I could ever need:clap:.

My name is Rick. first I would like to thank all you veterans and your families. I am truly honored to share this site with you. 57 years old slowed down a little, I've had 4 heart attacks open heart surgery doing good now. I Own a landscape and maintenance company last 25 years. love the outdoors, hunting, shooting, fishing. Been playing with two stroke since my first Hodka 90cc.

I was in college when John was killed. I've managed and owned service stations, worked as a line mechanic, taught auto shop for 32 years, owner/operator for an excavating/drilling company, and currently sell under car and collision equipment. I do comp BBQ and shoot pictures for a couple of BBQ publications for fun.

I live in the mountains and heat with wood. Every year or two a good storm leaves our driveway blocked by a down tree. Last week it was a 75' doug fur.

Just celebrated my 68th year on the planet and at the present time fixing and selling chainsaws is my main interest. Toward summer I get diverted into playing a little golf. Too old now to get a real job, I dabble a little bit in the stock market to try to help pay the bills. I also do a little general repair work on about anything mechanical or electric. I have a chainsaw collection which has shrunk from 50+ earlier in the year to about 26 now.

48 yrs old, left home and into the army at 16 served just over 7 yrs in the Royal Military Police then a couple of years in a private police force in London. I started at 13 with a saw on the farm and got back to timber after those few year's service and have been climbing, felling and grinding stumps since ! Have also managed a diversion into film and TV as a Dolly grip but never far away from my passion of working timber.

Im 39 years old. Was a policeman for 3 + years, worked for the NC Dept. of Correction for 10 years, have worked for my dads steakhouse for 15 years, always part time for him but always for him whether a cop or at the prison as a guard then case manager.
Wife then got into pharmacy school at Carolina and we move to Durham. Then went full time with my dad. We are a seasonal restaurant. Spent the winters and early spring with her. Then we moved to Asheville her senior year when she done her residency, as I then tried my hand at insurance and banking products. Actually hated that. Very boring **** there. Then we had the baby and Im a full time daddy, as Im greedy and dont wanna send her to daycare.

I'm 47, I was a Boat Builder from Miami, 22yrs ago I Visited Virginia and started working for the Timken Bearing co building Machines to manufacture Bearings, They moved me to Tn. It's pretty cool to see something you conceived and built Pumping out product eveyday.

28 years old...... I work in the engineering department of an underground salt mine. we mine roadsalt 2300 feet under the earth. I have a 2 year forestry dergree and have always loved chainsaws.

Just turned 58. From 14 to 38 I was in auto repair - family business, then a Dealership where I survived the transition from mechanical systems to computer controls. Even taught the GM computer control systems at a local Trade School. I got my ASE Master status during this time and have maintained it ever since - 25years now.
Last 20 years I've been with a company that reman's toner cartridges for copiers and laser printers. We ship about 100K units a month from 20 Production Lines. I've been Plant Engineer, Quality Mgr, and now Sr Technical Support Mgr. Really interesting but very stressful. Restoring saws restores my spirit.

Not many tree workers in here so far (at least this thread).. but a few.

Look at my avitar.. tells most of the story.

Been in tree service for over 30 yrs.. own and operate tree service company.

General arborist work.

In winter months mostly storm damage and tree removals though.

Last edited:
Systems Engineer who writes custom installation programs for the DoD full time, and PT police officer.

Ron, 47, automotive technician 23 years, sore back, young son, wife, dog, camper, hunter, fisher, snowmobiler, atvs, firewood, gunstock repair, too many hobbies-too little time.

I work for Kenworth out of spokane.Northern Idaho is my territory.I love to flyfish.We have the best rivers and streams in the country.

I did work in a steel mill for 24 yrs. till I blew my back out for the 3rd time.Burn wood for heat.Now I just get friends to help me more with it.I started fixing saws when my fist one died.I rebuilt it Husky 350.Now I play with saws cause I can sit on my arse most of the time lol Always loved fixing anything.Also been makinig knives out of old files for the last 15 yrs.Had a body and paint shop for 7 yrs. in there too.And some good old oil field for 8 yrs LOL And more?I am only 51 but well used LOL 2 daughters both teachers.Thats the best thing i have done in my life!!! 1 married and the other soon will be. Dam I sound OLD !!!

Last edited:
Im 63 semi retired have three kids and four grandkids. I make my living as a Tile contractor love camping, fishing, quad riding and running my chainsaws. Me and my wife been married 36 years.

Tree service worker. Work for a few local guys and do my own thing. Removals, pruning, stump-grinding, and some falling work.

I'm 53 and have been working in IT for over 30 years. Been married for 19 wonderful years and out of 28, that ain't bad! :msp_biggrin: Would love to own a small engine shop, but right now that sort of career change could get real expensive real fast; so I buy/fix/keep/sell to satisfy my case of CAD... :msp_scared:

Latest posts

Back