So my STIHL dealer says...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Tyler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After going in to my STIHL dealer a few days ago shopping for a new saw, I was all googly-eyed at the 660, but he says... "For longevity, you'll want the 460, especially if you use it for some smaller stuff... those big saws just won't last as long as the 460 if they've been revving out cutting smaller stuff"

So I just kinda nodded my head, and left... now I had to blow this by everyone... to me it just doesn't make sense... won't the 660 just not work as hard as the 460? especially if I use it on a mix of sizes of woods? Just when I have an idea of what I'm getting, I am back to square 1!!! :cheers:

Jon

They're both big saws designed for big wood. If you're using them to cut twigs then there might be some merit in the high RPM argument but I can't imagine there would be much difference between the two in longevity.

Get the 660 if that's the one you want. It's proven itself in the field many times over.

Just get the big boy. Longevity? So you are going to have to rebuild it in 9 years instead of 10? You know what the right answer is...:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

You want a 660 and he tries to talk you into a 460????:dizzy: Your dealer alongside my dealer..."Dumb and Dumber".

Got me to I thought the best two saw combo was the 660/180..lol
I think you're right put a 20 inch bar on the 660 and with the 14" on the 180 you have a perfect firewood cutting combo.
The 180 to limb and the 660 to fell and buck out the logs.

yea, i walked into my dealer and said i want a saw, but don't need a real big one. I walked out with a 660 and almost a 440.

Should be able to pick up a 660 for about a grand, depends on how motivated the dealer is.
See how much dust is on the saw and haggle accordingly! :greenchainsaw:

my 660 was just under 1k. I got the saw, 20" bar and chain, couple packs of oil, bar oil, face protector, a toy saw for my daughter, and a file set.

Latest posts

Back