so what am i missing out on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also a noob when it comes to this stuff... AND I happen to have a 455 rancher. My first experience with this saw has been taking down a fairly good size hedge tree in my back yard. Its leaning over the house and the kids are always getting thorns in their feet so it has to go. Anyhow, the saw has done excellent except for cutting the trunk of the tree. It really bogs down with the 20" bar in this green hedge tree. It however has worked really well on cutting up the limbs and anything under 20" diameter. My only real gripe is that it needs a little more power for its weight. It might work better with a 16 or 18 inch bar. I did get to try out a 372xp and the difference is almost unbelievable. I plan on picking up one of these as soon as funds allow!
:greenchainsaw:

I am also a noob when it comes to this stuff... AND I happen to have a 455 rancher. My first experience with this saw has been taking down a fairly good size hedge tree in my back yard. Its leaning over the house and the kids are always getting thorns in their feet so it has to go. Anyhow, the saw has done excellent except for cutting the trunk of the tree. It really bogs down with the 20" bar in this green hedge tree. It however has worked really well on cutting up the limbs and anything under 20" diameter. My only real gripe is that it needs a little more power for its weight. It might work better with a 16 or 18 inch bar. I did get to try out a 372xp and the difference is almost unbelievable. I plan on picking up one of these as soon as funds allow!
:greenchainsaw:
try a real chain on it
makes a world of diffrence

nice video

...snip
for those wondering what a "technical trail feature" is, this utube link should help explain. saws and mountain bikes go together really well... i noticed stihl is sponsoring the uci world cup downhill this year! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLjpMXO5L8U

everybody, thanks for the huge welcome! yeah, i really do love my 455, and its doing a killer job for me. i could totally see myself having more saws in the future though!
...snip

Wow! What an interesting video. Another great thing about this site... you learn new things, that while related to chainsaws, you wouldn't necessarily put them together.

As for the saw collecting thing... It's really is just a matter of time. I got my first saw (Poulan Pro 260) for Christmas about 8 years ago. I have used it off and on with great success. It has always started and done everything I have asked it to do. Having said that, I know that their are things that I would never ask it to do. So, that recently got me looking at saws. I went to several local dealers, but couldn't decide. Of course I started Google'ing. Lo and behold, AS pops up. A couple weeks of lurking and reading and... VOILA! I go buy me a Stihl 361. I truly couldn't be happier. I went with the "buy up" theory. (much like the "marry up" theory) :) These guys are truly sick and extremely contagious. And I've been infected. I find myself looking at 70 to 85 cc saws, $400 dollar chain grinders, and etc... Seriously considering looking for a decent used pro saw to tinker with, because I would prefer someone slam my fingers in a car door than hose up my nice new 361.

Enjoy your saw!!!

Yeah..... I am working on getting some new chains for mine. Just not sure if I would be better suited with semi-chisel or full chisel.

Yeah..... I am working on getting some new chains for mine. Just not sure if I would be better suited with semi-chisel or full chisel.

i went with the semi-chisel as i'd read (on this site) that it would perform better in a dirty environment. from my use last weekend, i can tell ya it dang sure does, at least in comparison to the stocker that took a noticeable nose dive when i had to get into some dirty stuff.

Welcome to AS. I'm very new to AS as well and we're running in parallel in many ways. Like you, I first bought a mid-sized "non-pro" saw, but mine's a Stihl MS 390, which is supposedly designed primarily to prevent boats from drifting while stopped. Like your Husky, my 390 somehow manages to cut wood just fine and make me smile at the same time.

I believe what you will find here is a learning curve much like you had with cars and I've had with motorcycles. As you get more "seat time" you'll become more discerning about many of the finer points of saws and how different models and makes have a "personality" if you will. The fun of all this--besides cutting wood, of course--is that you build a knowledge base and become more discriminating and expectant of what you really want in a saw. Then you begin a pursuit of the perfect saw, or more likely, the perfect COLLECTION of saws, for every occasion.

What I appreciate most about AS is that I can get smarter on somebody else's nickel; I don't have to buy 50+ saws to weed out the bad and stumble across the good ones. There's lots of info and experience here, free for the taking.

If you just want a cutting tool to clear trails so you can spend more time riding your mountain bike, take your Husky and run away from this site. If you're looking for a new internal combustion hobby, here ya go!

oh yeah, olyeller, thanks for the sig line

I think what you'll find is no differnet than the biking world. You can go to the local store and buy a Huffy mountain bike that has everything you will need to get to point A to point B for an affordable price. Than there is the option to get full suspension carbon fibre everything with disc brakes, titanium axles and the lot for a bunch more $$$. And it really doesn't accomplish much more for the $$$ than the Huffy but it is sure cool as hell to have.:cheers:

Couldn't have said it better myself.:agree2: Every saw has it place in this world.:jester:

euroford
you might want to look into buying a "Beam Machine" there are a couple of different ones out there. (Bailey's) you can make good use of short lengths with one a very economical way to get some wood if you want box in jumps or make ladder bridges when you find a site, some of those logs along the side of the trail - split them in half length for ramps, flatten the tops to make a balance beam with a jump all sorts a stuff one thing leads to another
cutting the wood with a saw gives it a rustic look unlike the store bought planed stuff fits in the woods better
last fall I made one short balance beam, maybe 8' when I saw how excited my son got seeing this get made from logs that were just sitting there made him a teeter totter for christmas and the features have just kept growing
for the cost of the gas and some screws and nails
find a site you will have fun

on one hand, i love that i found this forum as i've learned some very key things (such as replacing my stock chain), but on the other hand, its a bit problematic as it makes me wonder about buying another saw...

i've been working the hell out of my 455 rancher the last couple of weeks. as a member of the chicago area mountain bikers we've been very busy getting a small patch of park district woods in shape for the summer bmx/mountain bike dirt jumping season and i've been the guy thats made every cut necessary to do so.

so really, i've been SUPER happy with this husky, its just been tearing through everything i've put it against, including some fairly big stuff that the 20" bar was just barely big enough for. It starts with the flick of the wrist, runs all day like a champ, makes quick work of big stuff and it goes through everything under 8" pretty much like butter.

so... the rancher seams to get bagged on a good bit around here. i'd like to discuss why a little more. is it a pos just because its not a pro saw? or are there really some serious deficiencies compared to the pro models? maybe it is a great saw, but its just not built to last like others are? maybe i'm just a n00b and don't know how good a truly good saw really is?

so, lets discuss. in the meantime, i am having a wicked good time with the thing. i gave up racing cars years ago, and have directed that energy towards bikes, so i am enjoying playing with an engine again.

i've done OODLES of port work on car engines, would it be worthwhile to mess around with this 455? can't right now as i'm using it too much to take it apart. but could be fun when things slow down on a bit.

pics!

257f1ww.jpg

9k1n46.jpg

kcmfso.jpg

Take care of it, Keep the chain sharp and run it till it quits, Which may take years. When the time comes to replace it decide if you want to move up then. As long as its doing what you need never mind what "every one else" says. Lots of opinions here, and lots of good info. Welcome to the club.

Welcome

This site has more good information than you can use in a lifetime. Also lots of opinion and some just plain BS. Nothing wrong with most saws, good rule of thumb I think is that you get what you pay for with new saws. Some are a bit better than others, but for the most part in my OPINION, pretty even. Nothing wrong with a 455, just that as you become exposed to more saws you will see a difference. This site is dangerous, it will drain your pocket. When I joined I had one running saw, and it was a POS by AS standards. I now have 11, most of them running, and the largest is 125 cc's. And yes get some chaps. I cut wood for 30 years plus without them, and now I don't cut without them. Just taking advice from this site, no big cuts or close calls, except for a scratch on the leg 20 years ago. Nuff said, welcome. JR

as my name indicated i too started with a 455. i can honestly say it was a really good saw. i blocked out a 4ft9" oak tree with it too. i ran tank after tank after tank throuigh it on a 100 degree day. it never gave me a problem no matter what i did to it.

i bought a used 262xp and that led to the demise of the 455. the saws really are the same weight but the 262 stomped all over the 455. so i couldnt see the value of having both of them so the 455 went.

if i came across a really good deal on id prolly snap it up. i was also suprised how much wood i could cut one one tank of gas. my 262 346 066 love the gas, but those saws are mean runners so its expected.

Im new to this site also, and yes everyone has their own opinon or preference of saw, unlike myself a lot of men and women on this site cut wood for a living, so you do see a lot of jawing and jabbing lol, but it seems like it's all in good fun, but I tell ya what when you have a question they're first people to lend an idea and or a solution on how to fix your problem's it's great!, I visit this site 2-3 times a day just for some reading and/or some idea's, looks like your enjoying your project...run with it

It is a great saw for intended purpose. I dont understand all the hate for it. I own one and its been a good saw for me. Ive moved onto to prograde saws because of the CAD bug! Buy some stihl RSC chain and when your bar wears out. Get a oregon "Pro-Lite" bar, its a big step over the stock bar you have now. Also get some chainsaw chaps and steel toe boots. Good luck and have fun sawing!

It is a great saw for intended purpose. I dont understand all the hate for it. I own one and its been a good saw for me. Ive moved onto to prograde saws because of the CAD bug! Buy some stihl RSC chain and when your bar wears out. Get a oregon "Pro-Lite" bar, its a big step over the stock bar you have now. Also get some chainsaw chaps and steel toe boots. Good luck and have fun sawing!

It's not hate, and I hate to use disgust as that is even a bit harsh, but........ Once you run a pro saw of the same "caliber" you will always look at that saw in disgust thinking "If I would have only spent a bit more!"
If you never compare them, you will live life fat dumb and happy, with a GOOD saw.
Hang on this site, go to a get to gether etc. well
Trust me, I was quie happy with mine, UNTIL..........

well darn you guys, i just ordered a 372xp.....

i've been running the saw almost every day for a month, and took a tally of how much work i have remaining, and decided if ever in my life it actually -did- make sense to be spend the money now would be it.

oh can't wait to get running with it!!

Post some pics when you get your new saw, and tell us your impressions about how the 372xp works versus the 455. Your photography is great, and it's always fun to see what other parts of the country look like.

Back