so what am i missing out on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 455 for some reason is loathed just as much as the MS290. Both of those saws are great saws for what they are intended to do. Most people that buy and complain about them, are tryin' to use them waaaaayyyy beyond their limits. Or they are very inexperienced, and think that they are "boggin' down" when they are actually runnin' a super dull chain, or gettin' the bar pinched.

You will get a lot of good years out of that 455 if you keep a sharp chain on it, and don't expect it to perform miracles... nowthen...

..if you ever get your hands on a Husqvarna XP model or a Stihl Pro series saw... you will be hooked. The power to weight will greatly exceed what the little 455 is puttin' out. :)

Enjoy your saw! :)

Gary

Post some pics when you get your new saw, and tell us your impressions about how the 372xp works versus the 455. Your photography is great, and it's always fun to see what other parts of the country look like.

i'm very curious about comparing the two saws. i especially can't wait to weigh them, only .2 pounds going from the 455 to the 372? really? i'll get some pics for sure.

i'm very curious about comparing the two saws. i especially can't wait to weigh them, only .2 pounds going from the 455 to the 372? really? i'll get some pics for sure.

i can relate.
i had the legendary stihl 361.
i bought a dolmar 7900 based on some good reports here.
the weight difference in the two (don't quote) was about 1 pound.
the power difference was incredible!
now i only have the 7900.;)

i have never run the 372xp, but understand that it is one of 'the great saws' . i am sure you will be pleased with it!
have fun.

Congrats!

The 372 is a heck of a saw. You will not be disappointed.

:agree2: You will be looking like this -----> :D :rock::drool: ....after you fire up that 372xp and get it in some wood!!

After you use the 455, and the 372, back to back - I do believe, that you will have answered your own original question!! :cheers:

holy cow, haven't even gotten it on wood yet and i'm already stoked beyond recognition!!!

weight difference between the 455 with a 20" and 372xp with a 24" is negligible. haven't put them on a scale, but in my hands, you can't really tell the difference.

fired them both up on the back porch though, and its just a TOTALLY different animal. seriously guys, you were way too nice, you could have saved me a allot of time and effort by just telling me right off to ditch the 455 and upgrade.

so, the 455 ain't a bad saw, in fact for the money, i'll tell ya i got a heck of allot of work done with it, but without a doubt i'm already thrilled about the upgrade and i havn't even worked it yet!

can't wait to get out to the trails tomorrow!!!

25z3up3.jpg

Great thread: From "What am I missing out on?", with an undertone of "probably nothing", to "I've bought a new saw now, and you could have saved me time and told me this from the beginning" in only one month and 45 posts... And all this accomplished with most posts saying the saw in question was a decent one. AS still knows how to get the job done!

Congrats to the new saw it's really an excellent one, and you just can't have only one saw anyway...

aye matey! i fly the roger with pride!

scym2c.jpg

well, i got her out for some work last night, my god does this thing ever put the hurt on some wood! i ran a tank through it and just annihilated a couple of serious deadfall snags that i was hesitant to attach with the smaller saw! the 372 is a just wicked... i'm so impressed, and it handles very nicely!

finished the evening on a bad note though... after putting her down and riding for an hour, at the end of the evening i wanted my buddy to give her a try, and couldn't get it started back up again!

perhaps worthy of another thread... but i checked all of the obvious culprits, and i'm thinking that getting into the bottom of this can the gas is maybe not the best.

Back