So what's the best

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbercutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
All around saw? I log for a living and use a 460..We cut a lot of small timber and pine..I just couldn't stand anything smaller even if I was just trimming the rose bush:laugh:

Timbercutter said:
I just couldn't stand anything smaller even if I was just trimming the rose bush:laugh:

Then why do you ask? LOL. If you hang around here much, you will quickly find that the Dolmar PS5100S is the favorite of many. If I could only own one saw, it would be the 5100. Others that come to mind as good all-around saws; Husky - 372XP, 359, Stihl - 361, Shindaiwa 577 (if you can find one)...and I am sure the other manufacturers have some that are good. But, the common theme here is a saw that is in the 50-60cc range that isn't too heavy. The 372 XP is overkill, but it is light and has a helluva lot of good press. Dealer support is important if you can't turn wrenches and maintain it yourself. Otherwise, it is what YOU like, what feels good in YOUR hands and what fits YOUR budget. The Dolmar 5100S is BY FAR the best bang for your buck out there. It is heads above the competition across the board.

Welcome to the site!

Josh

I'll agree with that,around these parts stihl is big,but over the years we have went back and forthwith stihl and huskey,I liked the 281 huskey a bit heavy but loved the power..My employee's perfeer the stihl for less virabartions,like you said what ever feels right in your hands..

Great website yall have going here:D

The boys an hour West of you say if you can't carry a 660.... you just can't hang.

Welcome cutter.

Fred

We are going to have two shows next fall. I'll post them here.

Mr. said:
The boys an hour West of you say if you can't carry a 660.... you just can't hang.

Welcome cutter.

Fred

We are going to have two shows next fall. I'll post them here.

A good friend of mine use to say the same for the 394 huskey:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the welcome

Timbercutter said:
I just couldn't stand anything smaller even if I was just trimming the rose bush:laugh:

I like where your head's at. I say the same thing, but about the 044. I once had a guy tell me that you don't need an 066 unless you're cutting old growth. Obviously, he had never run one...

Timbercutter said:
All around saw? I log for a living and use a 460..We cut a lot of small timber and pine..I just couldn't stand anything smaller ev/046en if I was just trimming the rose bush:laugh:

If I had to go to one saw for everything (outside of milling), it would be a 460/046 or a 372. If I had to have one saw for milling and all, my 066 hands down.

Mark

Timbercutter said:
All around saw? I log for a living and use a 460..We cut a lot of small timber and pine..I just couldn't stand anything smaller even if I was just trimming the rose bush:laugh:

First Welcome to the board, a lot of good people with a lot of knowledge to share.

New to the board and just to get the natives wound up already, this is a topic with no end that sames to come up at least once a month.

Just like with trucks there are camps of people you have Stihl, Husqvarna and on this board there are quite a few Dolmar people These are your Big three (FORD, GMC (CHEVY), OR DODGE) and like with truck there are your small but die hard group the echo and Shindaiwa people there are a few other I see Mac people here too. These are Toyota.

Basically there is no one answer, people have very stronge feelings about a brand and like anything else in the world any one brand makes great, good and not so good products.

I am a Husky man (In all senses of the word :hmm3grin2orange: ) so I feel the 372 is a good saw love the 365 (But could not find one in good shape) I have a 575XP which I like a lot but it is a little heavy (for you girly men :hmm3grin2orange: )

Basically can't really go wrong with Stihl, Husqvarna or Dolmar. I am not an echo fan and while I have never tried one I have heard wonderful things about Shindaiwa.

i personally wouldnt go fo dolmar, even if it was best bang-for-buck... since they just dont fit my paws :)monkey: ), same thing with stihl, just doesnt feel comfy to use and they also got the ugly coloring and shape is soo UGLY... so, my choice would be husky 365, or for smaller saw, 353...

blis said:
i personally wouldnt go fo dolmar, even if it was best bang-for-buck... since they just dont fit my paws :)monkey: ), same thing with stihl, just doesnt feel comfy to use and they also got the ugly coloring and shape is soo UGLY... so, my choice would be husky 365, or for smaller saw, 353...

I think Husky's are ugly :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Lakeside53 said:
I think Husky's are ugly :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I think we can all agree that Wild Things are ugly. Why argue shades of orange when you can have lime green and purple. Reminds me a bit of an old college story. Had my roommate's best friend named Bruce, who couldn't hold his liquor. They got a bit blitzed on blackberry brandy, and for a couple of weeks we had a lavender colored urinal. If Bruce had a lime green saw, it would look like a WT. Hurlacious color scheme.

Mark

Back