So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Amsoil Interceptor in all my 2 stroke equipment for many years with no problems...
Actually one of the best all around medium to severe service 2 stroke oils Amsoil produces . I currently use it in my Polaris 700 SKS snowmobile & my 370 Can-am Qualifier Enduro . Previously had used Amsoil Dominator , but found that it was better used on serious extreme service applications , perhaps motocross or all out racing applications with snowmobiles or hotsaw etc.

Well, i just bought 12 quarts for general 2 cycle mix use (saws, string trimmer, leaf blowers). Haven't used any yet, sure hope it works ok.
Saber is a much better oil for your application . It is recommended for hand held 2 stroke blowers , saws & blowers . Dominator was originally designed for xcross & snowmobiles in racing applications . Ensure you tune your units for the mix . A lot of complaints of carbon & sponge if your temps are not high enough for the mix ratio !

Ran dominator in mx bikes for years. I searched for a clean burning oil at 30:1 in the race bikes. Dominator and Elf something-or-other were the clear winners. I prefered the Elf brand, but alas it was hard to find around here. Motul 700 was not too bad, 800 spooged.

interceptor was also decent, but spooged a bit at 30:1. Probably third place for me behind dominator and whatever the particular Elf formulation was.

Honda HP2 spooged, yamalube spooged and built-up, and about 3 or 4 others I tried did not perform as well as the dominator. I didn't try sabre. Perhaps I should have..

you'll be fine like I said. Just run them like you stole them at about 40:1.

Ran dominator in mx bikes for years. I searched for a clean burning oil at 30:1 in the race bikes. Dominator and Elf something-or-other were the clear winners. I prefered the Elf brand, but alas it was hard to find around here. Motul 700 was not too bad, 800 spooged.

interceptor was also decent, but spooged a bit at 30:1. Probably third place for me behind dominator and whatever the particular Elf formulation was.

Honda HP2 spooged, yamalube spooged and built-up, and about 3 or 4 others I tried did not perform as well as the dominator. I didn't try sabre. Perhaps I should have..

Absolutely , Dominator can be used if the individual , understands proper tuning . Apparently many of Amsoil clientele do not . The Regional Mgr. up North contacted me 2 yrs ago to advise that they may be discontinuing the sale of Dominator . That's when I switch my Can-am 370 Qualifier back to Opti-2 & my Polaris 700 SKS to Interceptor @ Amsoils advice . I run both @ 40: 1 . I had run the Qualifier @ 50:1 with the Dominator with no issues . However I know a few buddies who have had power valve issues with the Dominator @ 40:1 , so was not surprised when the Amsoil Mgr. contacted me. Dominator is still available but Amsoil has expressed only for Racing applications for Bikes & Snow-Cross or other Recreation Vehicle Racing Applications , not hand held air cooled units . As your quite aware any premium oil used within properly tuned units will perform adequately . I currently use Saber in all my saws , blowers & trimmers @ 50:1 other than a few ported units which see 44:1 & one Milling saw @ 40:1 for over 18 yrs no issues . Just my personal. opinion from my experiences .

Spooge is most of the time from poor tuning. Yamalube, HP2 do not spooge at all in mx bikes or saws when tuned properly.

Spooge is most of the time from poor tuning. Yamalube, HP2 do not spooge at all in mx bikes or saws when tuned properly.
I could not get anything to run as clean as dominator (and Elf) at 30:1. I had lots of brass and needles and some chrome to work with. So I don't agree. I could not get to 30:1 with HP2 or yamalube without spooge. 40:1 sure.
I wasn't interested in tuning for the oil, I was interested in tuning for about 30:1. My bottom ends lasted long.

I could not get anything to run as clean as dominator (and Elf) at 30:1. I had lots of brass and needles and some chrome to work with. So I don't agree. I could not get to 30:1 with HP2 or yamalube without spooge. 40:1 sure.
I wasn't interested in tuning for the oil, I was interested in tuning for about 30:1. My bottom ends lasted long.
I've ran all those at 32:1 and have always had bone dry silencers. This pertains to Yz250's, CR 250's, CR 500's. It can be done.
What bike where you running these oils in?
I don't use Amsoil, but know people who do and dominator caused crank corrosion. Not heresy either as I observed it with my own eyes.
If I was going to use a Amsoil product in a saw it would be Saber, but certainly not at that 100:1 non sense.
Lastly, as it pertains to Yamalube 2R you can easily spend 3 times as much for a product that isn't as good. It's a damn good oil.

Where and why are you buying e30???? Ive never seen anybody seek out ethanol fuels for *** in my life.
I splash mix E30 using regular 87 and E85.
E30: 2 gal E85 + 3 gal 87 = 5 gal E30.

I began my own research into the effects of Ethanol (alcohol) in gas engines about 4 yrs ago, as it seemed to me that anytime anyone would talk about it, all they could do is regurgitate the BS that they were told by somebody else. Who all just point to the sticker on every gas pump in the U.S. And without even considering any other chemical that gets added to gasoline during blending. What many people do not know is that gasoline also contains Benzene, Toluene, Ethyl Benzene, and Xylene. This is an Aromatics package that is used in the place of Tetraethyl Lead. I have first hand experience with these chemicals by working in various manufacturing facilities, and have seen their affects on various plastics and rubber parts. After discovering their presence in pump gas the issues were clear to me.
So...here I am, 4 years into this experiment and ZERO "Ethanol" issues. I run E30 in all of my O.P.E. and E50 in all of my non-FFV vehicles.
I do all the of the things you shouldn't do with regard to "E" fuel, I don't drain tanks on equipment that's stored, and my fuel containers sit outside in the elements! Admittedly though 5 gallons of fuel barely gets me through a month.

I also do this for a cleaner burning low-odor alternative to "Pump Trash".
@smokey7 If you feel that you are an open minded individual and want to know more, feel free to PM me.

I splash mix E30 using regular 87 and E85.
E30: 2 gal E85 + 3 gal 87 = 5 gal E30.

I began my own research into the effects of Ethanol (alcohol) in gas engines about 4 yrs ago, as it seemed to me that anytime anyone would talk about it, all they could do is regurgitate the BS that they were told by somebody else. Who all just point to the sticker on every gas pump in the U.S. And without even considering any other chemical that gets added to gasoline during blending. What many people do not know is that gasoline also contains Benzene, Toluene, Ethyl Benzene, and Xylene. This is an Aromatics package that is used in the place of Tetraethyl Lead. I have first hand experience with these chemicals by working in various manufacturing facilities, and have seen their affects on various plastics and rubber parts. After discovering their presence in pump gas the issues were clear to me.
So...here I am, 4 years into this experiment and ZERO "Ethanol" issues. I run E30 in all of my ****** and E50 in all of my non-FFV vehicles.
I do all the of the things you shouldn't do with regard to "E" fuel, I don't drain tanks on equipment that's stored, and my fuel containers sit outside in the elements! Admittedly though 5 gallons of fuel barely gets me through a month.

I also do this for a cleaner burning low-odor alternative to "Pump Trash".
@smokey7 If you feel that you are an open minded individual and want to know more, feel free to PM me.
The EPA has severly limited BTX AKA aromatics in pump gas for years.
Are you aware that the combustion of Ethanol forms formaldehyde?

Johnson / Evinrude XD50 32:1 in my lawn boys
echo power blend for everything else at 50:1
A good TCW-3 as Lawnboy recommends basically a good FB rated oil without the bells & whistles . Good low temp pour point however which makes it quite suitable for the Etec direct injection systems OMC now manufacturers .

Back