So why all the "angst" towards the Husky 455?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.

Tough to compete with box stores with that class saw. Out of curiosity...how do you price them? They are a $400 dollar saw around here. TSC sells them as well. The local dealer doesn't have anymore than required for a floor plan.

So I wonder..is THAT a reason for the angst? A good solid saw hard to mod and hard for the enthusiast dealer to sell when the price pressure from box stores is in the mix? That would explain a lot of things about how board member..especially those in a saw related business react..but still doesn't detract from what is a really nice saw for most people for the money.

Seems to me they might really end up being a "loss leader" and those who figure out how to make life better for Husqvarna 455-460 owners have a growth market.

I don't sell Husky, but I don't think this is the case at all. I seem to remember a lot of saw shops raising their Husky prices to meet the prices at Lowes and TSC.

No one gets rich selling a 455, I'm sure, but at least if you buy at a dealer, not a box store, you will get service.

Maybe you shouldn't be buying saws there then??

You missed the sarcasm:) I don't buy saws from anywhere other than mail order. That way I am free to buy any brand I want. Who needs dealers and service when you can DIY. Why buy new when you can build one from fleabay that is better than stock saw anyway? Two stroke repair certainly isn't rocketry as some would lead us to believe:) (insert sarcasm)

i had mine for over 2 years. i still say it was a good saw. i would have kept it if i didnt buy the 262. its the same weight and more power than the 455. so selling the 455 paid for the 262 and put a little back in my pocket.

I started out with a Husky 350. Depends on who you talk too, but they are not a popular saw on here either. It's been as good a saw as any other I have and haven't disappoint me at all. Unlike my 066, but that's another thread.

I think as long as AS exists consumer grade saws will always be underrated and pro grade saws will always be overrated.

The thing about the 455 is to me it just does not have the power or the heavy duty stuff it should. I think it is a good dependable firewood saw, I had one and sold it to a guy who loves it. It is his only saw. I had a 350 and traded for the 455 and to be honest did not think I gained a whole lot. So I sold it and got a 6400 and was alot more satisfied also ran the 6000 alot and really like that saw.If I wanted a husky in that size I would go for the 359 I think it would make a great firewood saw!

i was waitin for 359 to come alive.

around here the 455 goes for 369 wich makes it desierable over the 359. i think for the money the 455 is very good saw. ounce you start lookin at the 460 the 359 needs another look.

Most of the anti-455 sentiment is due to what I call "saw snobbery". Same deal with the MS290. It seems necessary for some guys to have saws/brands to look down on in order to feel better about what they own. They are each companies' best seller. They cut tons of wood. For their intended market, they both hit the bullseye. They may not be pro saws, but they don't make any promises that they can't keep.

I mostly sell the 460 over the 455 because I feel that the weight/CC's/power are more in line with what most of us expect. But people come in looking for the 455, and if someone is pre-sold, you have to be careful about pushing them up the price ladder, because some people will resent it.

Most of the 455 owners here on AS are happy with their saws, and they are realistic in their expectations as to what it can do. It's silly to make comments about how a 455 will get toasted by a 372. Why would you expect any different?

One thing I will say is that the 455/460 have been very reliable. They go out and they stay out. I have yet to see one fried. I do find it ammusing when someone mentions the example of the 455 that wiped out after 3 days in the context that they are all have some kind of a problem. If it blew up that quick, it means that there was indeed a "manufacturers defect" in that particular saw, and that's why there is a warranty. An engineering/design problem, that is likely to affect a high percentage of saws is something that will usually take much longer to rear it's head. One issue that has been corrected is the addition of a finer screen in the oil pick up. Not my favorite saw to work on by any means, but like I said they are pretty much problem free.

There is also no such thing as "price pressure" from Lowes or TSC. We all sell them at the same "power price", or somewhat less as in my store. Lowes and TSC are the ones with a pricing problem as they can't seem to sell an "expensive" saw such as the 455. Hence, there is a cheaper version on the way which should be called the 255. (I wonder what they could possibly take out of the saw to get the price down). At some point, Lowes will only have the 200 series saws. Dealers will be able to get them if they so choose, but I'd bet the margins are going to be slimmer on the 200's.

455 and MS290 owners can stop apologizing and just keep cutting. :cheers:

455 and MS290 owners can stop apologizing and just keep cutting. :cheers:

The biggest problem with the 290 is it's just too heavy. As a 390, the same chassis has about the same weight and a bit more respectable power-to-weight ratio.

Here's what my crystal ball sez...

The laggard 210 has been replaced by the big-motor version of the little-chassis homeowner saws. (171-181-211.) So maybe the new midsize homeowner range will be the 251, 271, and 291. Spring anti-vibe, strato motors. And the 291 will be a cheap saw (but more $$$ than the 290) that runs smooth. It will have a little more hp than a 290 and weighs an honest 12 pounds.

What do you think?

+1 I had herd so many bad things about the 290 on here,the first time I seen one being used I thought to myself wonder if it can cut it's way out of a wet paper bag. It did a fine job of cutting firewood.

I first came here on an internet search to find out what a MS290 was after seeing it advertised with my local Dolmar dealer's phone number on it. Then I called him and he said "Those are heavy pigs. I sold that one this morning, glad to see it gone, I hate to work on those things". Then he proceeded to sell me a PS-510, which is Dolmar's version of an overweight saw intended for homeowners. At least the 510 has the same teardown procedure as a pro saw, so he can't say he hates to work on them.

Although I use a 288xp to do most of my cutting I also own a 455 to do some of the smaller stuff. For the size of the saw it performs quite well. Its easy to operate and I havent had any problems with it. I think I may try retuning the carb and trying a muffler mod to wake it up a little more.

I mostly sell the 460 over the 455 because I feel that the weight/CC's/power are more in line with what most of us expect. But people come in looking for the 455, and if someone is pre-sold, you have to be careful about pushing them up the price ladder, because some people will resent it.
Right on!!!

The Stihl dealer didn't even stock the MS290 and he talked down Husqvarna because a couple of local hardware stores, not CS dealers, sold Husqvarna. As you suggested, I resented the lack of the Farm Boss and the negative pitch and walked.

I was coming from a Poulan 2175, which I did and still do like. So for me the 455 is a major upgrade and going above $400 when Poulan's are $200 was a big barrier.

I will say that buying from a dealer vs a hardware store was a major plus. He knew his product and spent 30 min bench tuning the saw for my 8000+ foot elevation. I was very impressed.

455 rancher

First off I want to say hello to everyone. Been reading for a while now and love the wealth of knowledge you folks have posted.
I mostly cut for myself. ( firewood ) But so far I love my 455. It is a little heavier than some others in that size range, but does it job well for what I bought it for.
Tom

Most of the anti-455 sentiment is due to what I call "saw snobbery". Same deal with the MS290. It seems necessary for some guys to have saws/brands to look down on in order to feel better about what they own. They are each companies' best seller. They cut tons of wood. For their intended market, they both hit the bullseye. They may not be pro saws, but they don't make any promises that they can't keep.

Great post Spike!!!

Gary

i think the stihl ms270 and ms280 also get a bad wrap. i think there a great saw. i have a 260 and i would rather use the 280 because its smoother and more powerful. ( i'm superintendent of a golf course and we own 5 other courses thats why we have so many 50cc saws. we also 2 361's, 2152, 440 and 880 for stumps.) i.m.o.

A man gets attached to his tools, round here when a guy shows you his new (fill in the blank) you would tell him thats nice. Now, you may think its a pos or be green with envy, just good manners. We all tend to think what we have is the best but in the end its a personal thing. That being said I have added a 455 to my tool room and like it a lot,more power than my cs440, easier to start, and unlike the echo starts every time. Of course I want a pro saw, someday I'll get one. But for now I'm good and proud, so don't pop my bubble thanks, Lanny

A man gets attached to his tools, round here when a guy shows you his new (fill in the blank) you would tell him thats nice. Now, you may think its a pos or be green with envy, just good manners. We all tend to think what we have is the best but in the end its a personal thing. That being said I have added a 455 to my tool room and like it a lot,more power than my cs440, easier to start, and unlike the echo starts every time. Of course I want a pro saw, someday I'll get one. But for now I'm good and proud, so don't pop my bubble thanks, Lanny

:clap: So true...and I have the pick of several saws (read my signature)..bet I pick the Husqvarna 455 and the Homie 903 w/ 28inch bar for the bulk of my work this coming summer. The Homie for stumps, blocking, to scratch the vintage itch; and the Husqvarna 455 as my "new" main saw. Obsoleting the Homie 925 and Husky 365.

My wife will use the same Husqvarna 455 from time to time and her main saw is now that "new for us" Husqvarna 440e. Obsoleting her old Homie Ranger. (The Husky 440e is a significant upgrade over that little 33cc Homelite Ranger..that won't die..still runs as well as the day we bought it 4 years ago)(Might poach another 455 if the right opportunity arises or a Husqvarna 350 to build for her)

The Homelite 903 at work:
gallery_640_10_42162.jpg

gallery_640_10_76188.jpg

Last edited:
Back