Soaking firewood in old used motor oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I often soak my wood in toxic waste. My neighbors really enjoy the thick black smoke that billows from my chimney. Nothing quite compares the sweet aroma of burning oil. The cancer that is likely to follow is just an added bonus.

Yes, I often soak my wood in toxic waste. My neighbors really enjoy the thick black smoke that billows from my chimney. Nothing quite compares the sweet aroma of burning oil. The cancer that is likely to follow is just an added bonus.

I'm sure the smoke would be no different than from a waste oil stove.

why? Is there something inefficient about just burning decent firewood in a decent stove?

A waste oil burner is designed to burn waste oil, cleanly and efficiently (it has to be) - A wood stove is not.

I can only imagine the smell, let alone the amount of crap that you'll get in your flue by doing it. I've never come across any firewood that needed it. If it didn't burn, it needed to season longer. If it burned too fast, close the dampers down, too slow, open the dampers up. I've never found the need to use any additives with my firewood (Save for MAYBE a firestarter stick from time to time back before I got good at lighting them) and it seems to me that it would make more of a mess than its worth. Plus I'd hate to soak all that beautiful split ash in coal black oil... :cry:

lol. I like taking a demo saw and cutting old tires up in pieces. Really helps to get that wet green wood started.:monkey: :monkey: ;)

I may do it in my fire pit outside and see what it's like. I was just looking at disposing of it that way rather than taking it to the recycler.

Hate to be the exception

But I have been doing just that for over 2 decades in the barrel stoves I use in Farm shop

Just throw one soaked log in with usual reload of 4-5 non soakers

No complains from neighbors, wifeeee, no chimney/stove problems, and no cancer...just more cheap BTUs

Anyone want to quess what the BTU output of *soaked* shag bark hickory really is ??

Maybe not for housing development enviornments, or tree hugger personalities, , but no problems here on the Farm

Actually progress

Old timer neighbors tell about just pouring waste oil down nearest ground hog holes

We have come a good way, now, have we not ??

Last edited:
I may do it in my fire pit outside and see what it's like. I was just looking at disposing of it that way rather than taking it to the recycler.

Dump it on the driveway for dust control, we used to do that on the farm. But now we keep it and when the tank gets full someone comes for it and actually pays us for it.

At home here all my used motor oil gets poured over stumps anad let the stumps soak it up, then after they are good and saturated the get a good dousing of diesel, then a few cups of gas and a match.

We use the old motor oil to control weeds in the garden. I have been low on wood but our neighbor has a big pile of tires behind his trailer (He is a scraper). I have been cutting those and mixing them with the osb we have been burning in our camper. I am just glad we got the roof tared before the snow hit. Now I just need to do something about the hole our septic drains in to, it keeps freezing. I wonder if I put diesel fuel in it if it would stay unthawed? What do yuo guys think?

But I have been doing just that for over 2 decades in the barrel stoves I use in Farm shop

Just throw one soaked log in with usual reload of 4-5 non soakers

No complains from neighbors, wifeeee, no chimney/stove problems, and no cancer...just more cheap BTUs

Anyone want to quess what the BTU output of *soaked* shag bark hickory really is ??

Maybe not for housing development enviornments, or tree hugger personalities, , but no problems here on the Farm

Actually progress

Old timer neighbors tell about just pouring waste oil down nearest ground hog holes

We have come a good way, now, have we not ??

youre ruining our state and adding to its already horrible reputation of a polluted #### hole...
i hope you are joking

Latest posts

Back