Solar Firewood Kiln?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love me a project and even more so - a project where I get the materials for free so please keep us posted on the progress with lots of pics. Also, if you don't have one, get a MM so you can post the change in moisture over time.

Now if this is just for fun or to experiment or need based on limited firewood storage space I see the value but realistically it seems like a limited use project when considering the amount of wood needed to heat a home for a typical season. I just do not see the value vs. volume in a kiln and would rather be spending that time cutting, splitting and stacking more wood so that I am 3-4-5yrs ahead of the game and just let Ma Nature do the job. . .

We went through 4 cords or more this year, and now my kid has a house with an open-hearth too, so we need lots of wood. The past ten or more years I had no trouble finding lots of free wood, but now many people are making a business out of acquiring free wood to sell, and I'm finding myself with uncured wood for the seasons ahead of me. In addition, some of the woods I have been burning are still polluting up our chimneys, even though they've been cured for more than a year, and in some instances two. And lastly, I've brought numerous borers in this couple years. Can't tell you how aggravating it is to carry in wood with dust pouring out various holes onto the carpet, my clothes, the hearth....

Also, I was thinking in the winter I might get some heat for the house out of this thing, or plant some tomatoes or whatever in it

We went through 4 cords or more this year, and now my kid has a house with an open-hearth too, so we need lots of wood. The past ten or more years I had no trouble finding lots of free wood, but now many people are making a business out of acquiring free wood to sell, and I'm finding myself with uncured wood for the seasons ahead of me. In addition, some of the woods I have been burning are still polluting up our chimneys, even though they've been cured for more than a year, and in some instances two. And lastly, I've brought numerous borers in this couple years. Can't tell you how aggravating it is to carry in wood with dust pouring out various holes onto the carpet, my clothes, the hearth....

Also, I was thinking in the winter I might get some heat for the house out of this thing, or plant some tomatoes or whatever in it

Want some pine?

***"Half the incentive for doing this at all is making it from stuff you have, get for free, and/or runs for free...or at most runs off of firewood
The dehumidifier costs a bit to buy, makes the project beholden to the utility company, and requires an electrical line, which requires a permit, which requires an inspector to come snooping around. 12 volt fans with a solar panel is kinda like...self-contained."***

I love me a project and even more so - a project where I get the materials for free so please keep us posted on the progress with lots of pics. Also, if you don't have one, get a MM so you can post the change in moisture over time.

Now if this is just for fun or to experiment or need based on limited firewood storage space I see the value but realistically it seems like a limited use project when considering the amount of wood needed to heat a home for a typical season. I just do not see the value vs. volume in a kiln and would rather be spending that time cutting, splitting and stacking more wood so that I am 3-4-5yrs ahead of the game and just let Ma Nature do the job.

Regardless, I am totally intrigued and look forward to updates with moisture levels and timelines for said amount of wood.

Have fun.

If you angle the glazing, the moisture droplets run down the sides where a small gutter system can collect the moisture. I have used a solar distiller like that to make the pure water for a big solar array battery bank. Went through a lot of distilled water per month with that thing, 36 batteries, 24 trojans and 12 rolls surrette, and the solar distiller paid for itself real quick.

Been trying to confine myself to hardwoods. I think pine might be too sappy and too quick to burn up for my needs. Thanks though

Pine burns just fine, I burn some here. My rule is, if I touch it, it goes into the stacks, I am species agnostic. Just get it good and dang dry, same as any other wood. Wet wood and a crappy adjusted stove or heater (all choked down) makes creosote build up, that can be anything, the best oak can do that. Dry wood, hot fire, minimal to no creosote build up. Pine sap problems as regards burning is more or less an old wives tale. Really. Now it sticks to the saw and chain, it is sticky, but as to burning it..Id burn it, and wouldnt turn down a score if I needed wood. Theres a cord and a half sitting up on pallets in my back yard right now, for next year or whenever. And I live in the land of every other tree in the woods is oak or hickory..I still take pine, this came from a yard tree here that got took down. I aint wasting it.

Pine burns just fine, I burn some here. My rule is, if I touch it, it goes into the stacks, I am species agnostic. Just get it good and dang dry, same as any other wood. Wet wood and a crappy adjusted stove or heater (all choked down) makes creosote build up, that can be anything, the best oak can do that. Dry wood, hot fire, minimal to no creosote build up. Pine sap problems as regards burning is more or less an old wives tale. Really. Now it sticks to the saw and chain, it is sticky, but as to burning it..Id burn it, and wouldnt turn down a score if I needed wood. Theres a cord and a half sitting up on pallets in my back yard right now, for next year or whenever. And I live in the land of every other tree in the woods is oak or hickory..I still take pine, this came from a yard tree here that got took down. I aint wasting it.

Cut split, stacked and dry it all makes firewood. Pine may not be the best but as long as you use it well it works, great to break early morning chill, great to get hardwoods going, works real good fall and spring. All wood has its place and I don't refuse any.

Cut split, stacked and dry it all makes firewood. Pine may not be the best but as long as you use it well it works, great to break early morning chill, great to get hardwoods going, works real good fall and spring. All wood has its place and I don't refuse any.

Just to be clear, beggars can't usually be choosers, but I have limited space. We're on a lot, not a ranch or farm. I struggle for places to put my usual 4 cords, so I need to get bang per square foot. Plus, Zogger lives in god's country, and I need to keep my firewood collectin' radius to less than 20 miles. But I appreciate the offer Zogger.
While we're on the subject of giving getting things for free, if anyone is in the Modesto, CA area, I am getting ready to toss about 30 dual pane glass doors from a job I'm working down there. Half are from the freezer run, and half the cooler doors. They're about 28" x 60". They're available for free

Just to be clear, beggars can't usually be choosers, but I have limited space. We're on a lot, not a ranch or farm. I struggle for places to put my usual 4 cords, so I need to get bang per square foot. Plus, Zogger lives in god's country, and I need to keep my firewood collectin' radius to less than 20 miles. But I appreciate the offer Zogger.
While we're on the subject of giving getting things for free, if anyone is in the Modesto, CA area, I am getting ready to toss about 30 dual pane glass doors from a job I'm working down there. Half are from the freezer run, and half the cooler doors. They're about 28" x 60". They're available for free

That was Bob had the pine for you. If you were closer to me, err... quite the drive...we could go cut oak all day long.

Lot of do it your selfers on mother earth news site, backwoods home, various places like that, any alt energy or prepper forum.. Lot of folks into solar projects, just not so much on this particular site. You should be able to find a home for all that glass, I know around here I would sure take it. I would like another greenhouse, all glass and not plastic. Or make my own storm windows. Or something, glass in a porch. what evah....

Seems overkill to me unless you live in a state that has restrictions on firewood and you need to kiln it in order to move/sell it.

Open stacks+sun+wind = free

I live in the city as well and have to keep my stacks against a fence, would need to get a permit to build a "greenhouse" on my lot.

Dam! Just what I need, only 3K mles away...

I did grocery store remodel jobs working for a refrigeration contractor. The big chains have hundreds of stores in several states and build several new stores each year. In our area it is Meyer, WalMart and Spartan stores. It is a shame what gets thrown out. Most metals are separated and recycled. But glass and cooler panels get tossed. A suggestion if you are looking, is to go to your larger chain stores and ask who their refrigeration contractor is and contact them for cooler panels, large cam lock panels they build walk-in coolers/freezers out of. They often pay a lot to get rid of this stuff; sometimes they stock pile used stuff for mom and pop stores that can be had pretty cheap.

Kind of solar,,with moister problems,,

I built my wood shed, 16x25 over an old cement slab out back. I have it wrapped in a black plastic I get from the co-op, which they use to cover great mountains of corn, it's like a super heavy duty tyvec. The black really collects heat, even in winter. I have the sides set up so I can roll the lower walls up to let air circulate thru the wood stacks. I have recently bought dark green barn metal for the roof which I will install when the weather breaks.

I'm still fighting moisture on the ceiling, especially when I have brought in a couple loads of green wood and have thought with sides rolled up I wouldn't struggle with moisture.

Are you guys saying to go "air tight" and vent with fans??

I built my wood shed, 16x25 over an old cement slab out back. I have it wrapped in a black plastic I get from the co-op, which they use to cover great mountains of corn, it's like a super heavy duty tyvec. The black really collects heat, even in winter. I have the sides set up so I can roll the lower walls up to let air circulate thru the wood stacks. I have recently bought dark green barn metal for the roof which I will install when the weather breaks.

I'm still fighting moisture on the ceiling, especially when I have brought in a couple loads of green wood and have thought with sides rolled up I wouldn't struggle with moisture.

Are you guys saying to go "air tight" and vent with fans??

Either tight for more heat and a small slow fan, or open the sides in nice non rainy weather and let it naturally air. Is it vented at the ceiling/roof? Our greenhouse has roll up and down sides, man, that helps a lot in the summer just to be able to go in there. Thats different from a firewood area though, a greenhouse you want it humid in there. Warm and humid, you want warm and dry. Naturally vented at the ridge line and eaves should work OK, as long as some air can get in at the bottom, a crack, few inches maybe.. then let that sucker bake out in the summer heat, heh. Heat rises, it will flow then, the moisture will go out. Judgement call, completely open sides work as well. Around here, thats how they are built, just a roof. But..I think being able to really bake the wood is a good thing, too, for the bugs and stuff.. Youll know quick which will work better for you, start to get fungus growing, it isnt getting enough air flow. Drying too slowly then.

When drying lumber, moisture level must be controled to prevent warping

and checking from drying to fast on the outside while the inside has a higher moisture content.

Firewood doesn't have this constraint, so the more dry air flow the better, heat without ventilation won't promote fast drying. Intake low, exhaust high to use natural air flow. Use fans to circulate air thru the stacks only. Any moisture collecting as condensate will be competing with the water in the wood to be absorbed into the air, slowing the drying process.

I'm an Idiot,,

I currently have NO venting on the ceiling nor upper walls,,

Zogger, as soon as read your reply it hit me,,sure I can roll the sides up aprox. 3 ft. which allows air to move thru the shed but I don't have ANY ventilation in the top of the shed...thus, the condensation,,

The "ribs" of the metal roof will cure/help this when I finally get my proper roof installed...as in the roof will breath,,NOW I GET IT!!!:bang:

The OP has all those glass panels,,,now wouldn't that be the cats meow for covering the south facing walls..

Thanks guys,,,:redface:

I
The OP has all those glass panels,,,now wouldn't that be the cats meow for covering the south facing walls..

I'm putting my glass panels on the roof because the summer months have the sun beating down from the top, and the south facing wall has a fence in front of it. I have been toying with making the roof hinged so I can raise the panels on one end in the fall and winter

I'm putting my glass panels on the roof because the summer months have the sun beating down from the top, and the south facing wall has a fence in front of it. I have been toying with making the roof hinged so I can raise the panels on one end in the fall and winter

All that glass would be great. Hinged on the roof seems to be a win-win. My roof is built on a 2 1/2" pitch, pretty flat so I gotta stick with all metal roof. If I could cover the entire south and west wall on my shed in those panels like you have available,,the sun could really work it's magic.

I currently have NO venting on the ceiling nor upper walls,,

Zogger, as soon as read your reply it hit me,,sure I can roll the sides up aprox. 3 ft. which allows air to move thru the shed but I don't have ANY ventilation in the top of the shed...thus, the condensation,,

The "ribs" of the metal roof will cure/help this when I finally get my proper roof installed...as in the roof will breath,,NOW I GET IT!!!:bang:

You're closer to Californny than most of us, get them and meet us at the Mississsippi River..

Latest posts

Back