SOLO KleinMotoren Comes Thru!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS: Plus the SOLO has a LOGICAL model numbering system unlike a certain other German chainsaw brand....

max2cam said:
One thing I'm not crazy about on this SOLO 690 are the muffler fasteners. They are some kind of Torx(?) screw that you can also use the skrench on. I'm replacing them with bolts on the two bottom muffler mounts and Allen-type hex screws for the two manifold fasteners. Then I'll put good star washers under them and use lots of Locktite and check them frequently.

Waiting for a longer hex wrench so I can put this Beast back together.

The 690 has become my favorite chainsaw because it is the most satisfying to run and it sounds cool like a dirtbike.

Kinda wish I had a SOLO 651 and a SOLO 662 or 667 to keep it company.....

I like the muffler fasteners myself, they are torx with teeth on the bottom seem to bite into the muffler and hold well.

I've noticed Solos seem to be less restricted than other saws. They have a much deeper tone. I sold my neighbor a 651SP and I can always hear him cutting firewood a 1/2 mile away. Thats bone stock, personally I like them right out of the box don't need any mods but I don't cut for a living.

A 662/667 would be a nice companion to your 690, I really enjoy my 662. Their a little heavier and not as fast as others but totally rock solid.

Strongly advise against using internal or external star washers on the muffler bolts that go thru the muffler.
Muffler is about 18 ga folded sheet metal, and the vibration may fatigue the metal, causing it to vibrate, and cause muffler cracks faster.
Also aggravating this is when making certain cuts the muffler may touch-rub wood putting stress on the muffler & fasteners as it's levered against.
Have had good success by cleaning the cylinder holes, and fastener threads with Acetone, or Loc Tite cleaner, then applying Red # 271/272 Loc Tite.
Ideal fastener is Torx or Torx Plus, with serations that lock into the muffler.

Greg Carberry said:
I like the muffler fasteners myself, they are torx with teeth on the bottom seem to bite into the muffler and hold well.

I've noticed Solos seem to be less restricted than other saws. They have a much deeper tone. I sold my neighbor a 651SP and I can always hear him cutting firewood a 1/2 mile away. Thats bone stock, personally I like them right out of the box don't need any mods but I don't cut for a living.

A 662/667 would be a nice companion to your 690, I really enjoy my 662. Their a little heavier and not as fast as others but totally rock solid.

I doubt that I would have had a problem with this 690 if the FOOL who had it before me hadn't tampered with the muffler and cracked free the original factory-torqued fasteners and tossed out the gasket and spark-screen.

I know that this 690 has a deep tone to it. It starts really good too even though I keep it out where it gets cold. Of course the compression-release valve is what saves the day! I would hate trying to start a saw this big without one.

Right now with 4 good-running chainsaws it's tough to justify buying another one. But, I think the SOLO 662 or 667 would be the one that I'd pick.

oldsaw-addict said:
Which one? theres Stihl, and Dolmar.

Those dang Dolmars: You can't figure out what size they are!

Seriously: Is there ANY logic to the Stihl model numbering system so you can figure out what the heck size saw in cc's they are talking about without having to memorize every single model by heart?

Like my 024: Do I reverse the numbers because it has 42cc? But that won't work for 026 because it sure ain't no 62cc. The 088: 88cc? Uh, that would be logical, but no that isn't right either....

Saw Man said:
Strongly advise against using internal or external star washers on the muffler bolts that go thru the muffler.
Muffler is about 18 ga folded sheet metal, and the vibration may fatigue the metal, causing it to vibrate, and cause muffler cracks faster.
Also aggravating this is when making certain cuts the muffler may touch-rub wood putting stress on the muffler & fasteners as it's levered against.
Have had good success by cleaning the cylinder holes, and fastener threads with Acetone, or Loc Tite cleaner, then applying Red # 271/272 Loc Tite.
Ideal fastener is Torx or Torx Plus, with serations that lock into the muffler.

Hmmmm.....that sounds like the stock items plus Loctite.

36cc SOLO

Looking for a small, low cost saw. Are the 36cc SOLO/Baily saws pretty good? Better than the Poulan/Husky's? Good as the little Echo's? Heard the Stihl 180's are ok, but I don't like the fancy chain tightening gizmo.

Felling Saw

Max , that 662 or the 667 would probably fell those 24" diameter Red Pines so fast that you would have more milling time . I haven't heard anyone mention but I'll say that when I took the muffler off my Solo built B45 that the bolt heads fit in a notch and the nuts are lock nuts . No threaded holes to strip and no locktite needed . Scott

max2cam;
Your right....those are the OEM fastner.

Dolmars, I think have been real easy to determine displacement for quite a few years.
Examples two small Pro saws with over 1,000,000 (one million) made.
PS341, PS401 Same crankcase, same saw.
PS = Power Saw
First two numbers ,34, and 40 = Displacement
Last number, 1 = Second version or second generation.
So the first ones were PS340, PS400.

PS520, PS540 are the same saw except 52 & 54 cc.

Newer models like PS6400, PS7300, PS7900....same saw have one more digit.
PS= Power Saw
6400= 64cc
00 = First version.
Same applies to 7300, and 7900.

PS9010
Power saw
90=90cc
10= second version. Previous was a PS9000

Solo 670 (red top) was discontinued years ago in the USA, but you can swap cylinder/pistons between a 667 & 670.

No,
Nein,
Nyet,
Nueve.
Dolmar isn't part of E-lux conglamoration.
Owned by Makita, it's a seperate company. Located in the high tech industrial city of Hamburg, Germany it's been in business since 1927, having the honor of producing The World's First Chain Saw, and still in business.

glens said:
say what?
Dolmar (along with several others) claims to be the first manufacturer of chainsaws. This was taken from their site :

"Welcome to DOLMAR
Innovation is a tradition at DOLMAR, the world's original manufacturer of gasoline chainsaws."

Glen, Dolmar DID produce the worlds first chainsaw, beat Stihl to the punch but then as now, Stihl had/has better advertising. Ben Crago (Stihl employee) admitted that Stihl was second.

Really can be quite interesting, even confusing at times of who is actually correct.

Site is wrong about world's first as related to the concept & application of "chain saw",
and right about Stihl developing a chain saw.
Interesting to learn about a California saw.

Please look at the timelines of Dolmar & Stihl sales lit over the last 10 years. Note the definative specific wording of "portable", "gasoline" (petrol), and "electric".

1926 Stihl was founded, and intro'd an electric bucking saw.
1927 Dolmar intro'd it's gasoline driven saw that both bucked, and felled on the Dolmar
mountain....henceforth it's name.
1929 Stihl intro'd it's first gasoline saw two year after Dolmar.

The chain saw as it is understood by application is understood to be both portable, and driven by gasoline internal combustion engine
An electric saw wasn't considered portable by limitations of not having truly portable generators, and wiring.

There wasreportedly a couple lawsuits, or attempts fron Stihl against Dolmar.
Most recent about two years ago was over color change by Dolmar. They started to use new new 'modern' glossy pastel orange & gray that have become popular. What was organge on a Dolmar was gray on Stihl.
Stihl 'sued' contending that people would think they're the same, being confused or not knowing would buy a Dolmar. Thereby Stihl would lose business, and severly hurt sales.
Dolmar dropped the orange & gray to avoid the suit penalties, going back to it's signature colors of orange & black. New Pro saws coloring will be gloss orange with black accents like the PS6400,7300,7900.

Saw Man said:
There wasreportedly a couple lawsuits, or attempts fron Stihl against Dolmar.
Most recent about two years ago was over color change by Dolmar. They started to use new new 'modern' glossy pastel orange & gray that have become popular. What was organge on a Dolmar was gray on Stihl.
Stihl 'sued' contending that people would think they're the same, being confused or not knowing would buy a Dolmar. Thereby Stihl would lose business, and severly hurt sales.
Dolmar dropped the orange & gray to avoid the suit penalties, going back to it's signature colors of orange & black. New Pro saws coloring will be gloss orange with black accents like the PS6400,7300,7900.
Hmm. This brings a few different scenarios to my mind. Either Stihl is greatly underwhelmed by the intelligence level of their average user, hence saying that he won't know the difference, or they're marketing to the homeowner market--a group that is more likely to not know the difference. Another scenario is Stihl, as a bigger company, is trying to tie Dolmar's resources (smaller than Stihl's) up with bogus lawsuits, therefore hurting them. I hate this kind of bs. One thing is certain, though, Stihl feels threatened by Dolmar. :)

scottr said:
Max , that 662 or the 667 would probably fell those 24" diameter Red Pines so fast that you would have more milling time . I haven't heard anyone mention but I'll say that when I took the muffler off my Solo built B45 that the bolt heads fit in a notch and the nuts are lock nuts . No threaded holes to strip and no locktite needed . Scott

I'll bet the Solo 662 or 667 would cut that wood! I can see you guys are going to try and talk me into getting one....

I WISH this 690 had bolts and nuts instead of threaded holes which are always a pain. I even considered drilling out the holes and putting in nuts and bolts, or at least put a nut behind the screwed in screw. BUT, there was not enough room for a nut when I tried to mock it up that way.

Back